Are Electric Brakes Needed for Scamp 13? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2016, 06:45 AM   #41
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Since the front brakes on our vehicles do most of the work when stopping, perhaps rear brakes should be optional. I'm sure we could adapt and think how much money we'd save. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 07:40 AM   #42

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldblacksmoker View Post
... The canned answers here concern me. We certainly need to express that having brakes means an aspect of education and complication the driver must be educated on. Those brakes could kill you, they could cause tire blowouts ...
The canned answers concern me as well ... including some of yours.

Please educate me on how trailer brakes cause tire blowouts.

On edit: I see you want to delete your account.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...unt-76989.html

Newbie with 16 posts and a number controversial statements makes me wonder if a troll is among us.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 08:35 AM   #43

Name: Lynn
Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022 (was 2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17)
Massachusetts
Summary of state rules re trailer brakes:

Trailer Brakes - AAA Digest of Motor Laws

Now is that just for local registration, or do the rules apply to trailers from other states passing through?

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"—Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Mr Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 10:22 AM   #44

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Lynn View Post
Summary of state rules re trailer brakes:

Trailer Brakes - AAA Digest of Motor Laws

Now is that just for local registration, or do the rules apply to trailers from other states passing through?

/Mr Lynn
Not sure on specifics but...Generally speaking the requirements of the state of registration are honored by other states.Foreign travel may be one of the exceptions.
Lets hear from all those on this forum who have been ticketed out of state for equipment violations which would be legal in their state of registration?
(no urban legends please)
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 11:31 AM   #45

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Not sure on specifics but...Generally speaking the requirements of the state of registration are honored by other states.Foreign travel may be one of the exceptions.
Lets hear from all those on this forum who have been ticketed out of state for equipment violations which would be legal in their state of registration?
(no urban legends please)
From the US Department of Transport "If you plan to travel in another state, don't forget to check its requirements also. For example, surge brakes may not be legal in some jurisdictions."

This would suggest that some states do not like folks to not follow all their rules when traveling through from another state.

I have noted that a number of the large towing websites also suggest that you check the requirements of the states you are passing through which would seem to support the fact that some states do not play well together when it comes to laws.

You might have to read through a lot of fine print to figure out what states are open to folks passing though without having the correct equipment on their trailers.

Whether or not you will ever get fined while passing through or not, is another matter all together. Suspect it may be like a lot of stuff .... you will not find out the answer until its to late. In the case of a trailer you will probable find out if you have an out of state/province accident.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 01:28 PM   #46

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Dont Worry, Your lawyer will explain everything to you during your trial or lawsuite.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 02:19 PM   #47

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
Dont Worry, Your lawyer will explain everything to you during your trial or lawsuite.
Not worried about the boogey-man, just more interested in getting it right than being obsequious.
Its like the pursuit of happiness, its better to learn to smile on your own than to to have it forced upon you...
Attached Images

Old 10-09-2016, 03:20 PM   #48

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
From the US Department of Transport "If you plan to travel in another state, don't forget to check its requirements also. For example, surge brakes may not be legal in some jurisdictions."

This would suggest that some states do not like folks to not follow all their rules when traveling through from another state.

I have noted that a number of the large towing websites also suggest that you check the requirements of the states you are passing through which would seem to support the fact that some states do not play well together when it comes to laws.

You might have to read through a lot of fine print to figure out what states are open to folks passing though without having the correct equipment on their trailers.

Whether or not you will ever get fined while passing through or not, is another matter all together. Suspect it may be like a lot of stuff .... you will not find out the answer until its to late. In the case of a trailer you will probable find out if you have an out of state/province accident.
So... Not you then? Good news!
Old 10-09-2016, 04:33 PM   #49

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
I have a Scamp 13 and live in California. If you have a commonly appointed Scamp 13 as opposed to a completely stripped model you need brakes to be legal in California. On top of that we have high moutain roads and passes throughout the state. It would be wise to have functional working brakes running down hill. In addition should the trailer end up not properly loaded and your trailer starts a sway condition you can manually apply just the trailer brakes to stop the sway and keep the trailer under control until you can slow down to a stop. Far better to have extra braking power than to be pitched into an accident.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 10:16 AM   #50

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post
It would be wise to have functional working brakes.
That is my point... It is better to be wise than merely compliant.
Old 10-11-2016, 02:25 PM   #51

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
YUP, get the trailer brakes. For all the many reasons you've read above, AND: How could you ever consider trailering without being able to go legally into California? Even if you never go there, you don't want to close that window. It's an amazing state, love it or hate it, it's still amazing from North to South, and East to West.

Never heard of trailer brakes being either difficult or dangerous unless you go back to Clinton Twiss's book from the 40s, The Long, Long Trailer. also the movie of the same name from the 50s? We just watched it again, and from that era, I have only one thing to say (which doesn't apply any more, "they" fixed it decades ago, and thank goodness for that!):

TRAILER BRAKES FIRST!

WELCOME and

BEST!

Kai
Old 07-31-2018, 07:40 PM   #52

Trailer: 1986 Boler 1300 Voyager
Registry
Anyone also use a breakaway switch?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 03:20 AM   #53

Name: Kevin
Trailer: In the market
South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markz View Post
Anyone also use a breakaway switch?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Fiberglass RV mobile app

Came standard with my hitch. Think they should be required.
offroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 07:33 AM   #54

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
In Pa, it would not pass state inspection without a break-a way switch on my 16' Scamp. Carl
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes, scamp