How to remove the lower Gaucho couch from its bracket on a Trillium - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2014, 08:00 AM   #21

Name: Bill and Kate
Trailer: Trillium
Washington
Hi Francesca, we're just across the water from you on Whidbey Island. Did you use fabric on the back side of the cushions instead of vinyl? I have a wool/rayon blend of fabric that I am using. What about the foam? Did you cut it yourself? I am going to Friendly Foam tomorrow in Everett. thanks.
billandkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 12:09 PM   #22

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Hi, Neighbor!

I've completely replaced the front gaucho with a sprung bed complete with its own, shall we say, "decorative spread". It doubles as a couch during the day, of course.

Per other cushions:

I'm still on the original foam at the dinette, but have abandoned permanent covers in favor of elasticized slipcover-type coverings. Keeping several sets of those allows for easy changing/washing as needed.
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 12:52 PM   #23

Name: Bill and Kate
Trailer: Trillium
Washington
Thanks, Francesca. Would love to see your Trillium when we take ours across the water for camping. Or come and see us here on the Rock. We live in Langley
billandkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 01:52 PM   #24

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Francesca, could you please post pictures of your mod? I would love to see what you have done.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 02:34 PM   #25

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
It's all taken apart right now, but here are some pics from last year- I've made a couple of changes since then though the concept's basically the same. Changes always relate to increasing the luxuriousness of what I like to refer to as "My Throne".
Second pic is for the purpose of explaining its importance- I always position the trailer so I have the best possible view when reclining thereon with my morning coffee- bliss!

BTW:

The white cutting board you can just see the edge of there between the bed and the cabinet is my shield arrangement- I stand it up when cooking to protect The Throne from splatters...

Underbed storage is for laundry, paper goods, assorted miscellanea. It's even set up so I can haul the trailer spare there if I need to. Loading always depends on what else is in/on the tug/tow.
Attached Thumbnails
My Throne.jpg   My Throne's view.jpg  

Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 04:39 PM   #26

Alberta
Registry
I had thought that you removed the fibreglass of the gaucho. I see that you have added height to it.

I have considered removing it altogether to put in a front bathroom. This is not a current plan.
Old 04-29-2014, 02:55 PM   #27

Name: Janice & Rick
Trailer: Trillium 1300
Nova Scotia
Registry
Please explain covering the mounting block? I am not going to use the top bunk so have taken the board out (will store for future use if necessary) and the foam will be recovered and just placed on top of the bench for a comfortable back. Make sense?
JRTrillium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 03:22 PM   #28

Alberta
Registry
Makes sense to me. But, what mounting block are you referring to?
Old 04-29-2014, 04:28 PM   #29

Nova Scotia
Registry
Well, Dave, somewhere there was an explanation to the couch (goucho? what is a goucho?) that is directly to the right when looking in the door - and it is a bunk as well (Trillium 1300) and they were explaining what they did to theirs - if I find it I will post again and quote it.

What does this person mean by this:

"We took the small hinged section from the top bunk and used that as a backrest for the front couch. It leaves the full width of the lower bunk as a bed. The dogs love the extra room."

Confused Janice
Old 04-29-2014, 04:43 PM   #30

Alberta
Registry
Janice, I suspect that was from an owner of a 4500. The front bunk is wider, so it is necessary to have a fold out section on the top bunk. When set up as a couch the small section folds behind the back rest and gives it a slant. It also takes up room on the seat. It is like doubling the width of the back rest at the bottom. So they probably removed the fold out section and got that seat space back.

A gaucho is either, a South American cowboy:
Gaucho - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Or a sofa that turns into a bunk bed.
Old 04-29-2014, 05:48 PM   #31

Nova Scotia
Registry
Ah, thank you Dave. I appreciate the explanation. I have removed the plywood from my top cushion that makes a bunk. A friend is putting new covers on for me. I have decided to leave the plywood out as it will not be needed as a bunk. However, in the even I do need it I figure I can put the bunk back up and lay the cushion on top of the plywood. I am hoping that when it is being used as a couch it will make the couch feel deeper without the plywood on the back cushion.
Old 05-02-2014, 03:30 PM   #32

Alberta
Registry
I have seen pictures of exactly what you are talking about.
Old 05-02-2014, 04:04 PM   #33

Nova Scotia
Registry
Ok, so for those interested - I have one cushion back from my friend who is making them - she just finished the 'goucho' bottom bunk cushion and it is super nice! I chose an upholstery fabric that has some weight and texture - about the same weight as corduroy (but is not). The colour is an earthy red - if that makes sense. Has a but of rustiness to it. I removed the plywood from the top bunk cushion and will set it aside - we plan to have that top bunk cushion as a back rest to make a comfy couch.

Annnnd . . . . I bought my 2013 Ford Escape last month to pull it.

Things are looking up!!
Old 05-02-2014, 04:22 PM   #34

Alberta
Registry
Did you get the tow package with the Escape?
Old 05-02-2014, 04:35 PM   #35

Nova Scotia
Registry
I sure did, Dave. Class 2 trailer hitch.
Old 05-04-2014, 06:50 PM   #36

What a timely post. Just cut all the fabric to redo my surfside cushions today. Thought I was going to recycle the foam which was still pretty comfy, but when I opened up the cushions, they were so funky smelling and discoloured that I will be going out to get new foam ASAP. My biggest concern was how I was going to get the cushion off that top bunk as that one is upholstered. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1399250950.790204.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	141.7 KB
ID:	70611
Now I have a much clearer idea. Hoping to get it done with some help from my SIL who can sew in the next week or 2. Can't wait! Sticking with a retro 70s fabric in a more modern and cheery pattern.
SBracken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 05:38 PM   #37

Trailer: 1978 Trillium
Covering the mounting block

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTrillium View Post
Please explain covering the mounting block? I am not going to use the top bunk so have taken the board out (will store for future use if necessary) and the foam will be recovered and just placed on top of the bench for a comfortable back. Make sense?
Here is what we did. A little thin foam, a staple gun and shazam.

The rack we made from PVC and painted it and then covered it with 1/4" oak plywood to help make it look a little less like "Uncle Futtsitt" built it.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Jeff Johannsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 05:55 PM   #38

Nova Scotia
Registry
I like those posts! Tell me, what do you Trillium 1300 owners use to cover the sink and stove to create more counter space?
Old 05-13-2014, 06:19 PM   #39

Alberta
Registry
There is a stock particle board cover for the sink just a board with a wood cross that is the width and depth of the sink to keep it in place. Others put a wood box over the stove.
Old 05-14-2014, 04:40 AM   #40

Nova Scotia
Registry
Thank you, Dave, again

Lovely fabric SBraken !!!! I decided not to stay with the retro look - I think I'll be good with the decision. I see you are a new owner of a Trillium as well? We should post our updated interiors when finished - I sometimes find it hard to find my way back to a thread so pardon me if I get lost.

Dave, we would like to repair our front window - I noticed the left side is soft indicating rotten wood. Darn it. Is there a particular thread that would be a good step-by-step tutorial for us? Annnnnd . . . .

I'd like to replace the gasket between the other windows and vent on top of the roof. Again, is there a good tutorial for that as well? I read somewhere the Beutyl tape is the way to go?

All repair people, please feel free to jump in and get me going!!!

Thanks all

Tags
trillium