13' Casita or Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2012, 10:46 AM   #1
JBB

Name: Jan
Trailer: 2017 Lil Snoozy
South Carolina
13' Casita or Scamp

Hi! I would like to hear from owners who have a 13' Casita or Scamp on what they like/dislike about their campers. We are shopping for either one, and haven't been able to see one locally. Pictures on the web don't tell the whole story. Any input you have would be great! Thanks
JBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:54 PM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: 13' 2012 Scamp
Wisconsin
Scamp was closer (we live in Wisconsin, they are in Minnesota). 13' Casitas seemed incredibly hard to find vs. 13' Scamps. So looking at new options, picking up a Scamp was far easier for us than a Casita. Those two contributed to knowing that we should have a stronger resale market someday in our area at least for a 13' Scamp. Spare parts priced reasonably and service seemed easier for us on the Scamp (I have had to call them once and it was completely zero hassle to get a replacement rear jack stabilizer).

We focused on a bathroom & shower 13' version and I like that the Scamp bathroom does not have a sink (we judged that as extra complexity, takes up valuable maneuvering room in a tiny space already, and was redundant with the kitchen sink less than 4' away).

We like the look of the Scamp better, but functionally the wheels and door are probably easier to work on/more flexible on the Casita. Big structural difference is the fiberglass bottom shell on the Casita with the plywood floor over the top of that. Originally I was thinking that was the right way to build it, but real world results seem mixed. Extra weight and water trapping are the knocks against it.

Not sure if Casita offers the Jalousie crank side windows or not. I totally underestimated how awesome they are in rain conditions where you would have to keep side slide windows completely closed otherwise. Great for our climate.

Can't really go wrong with either probably in the long run.
JohnF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:49 PM   #3

Trailer: Casita
Registry
It looks like a good days drive for you but here is one for sale that looks pretty nice.
2004 Scamp 13' Travel Trailer | Pinellas Park, FL | Fiberglass RV's For Sale

If nothing else keep an eye on this page for listings. I agree with John. Both are good choices.
Gene Masse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:21 AM   #4

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
When we bought our Scamp I face the same decision. After a few hours of going back and forth Scamp won out. The primary reason was the interior height. Casita has a lot lower ceiling than Scamp. After living with the Scamp for several years(almost 7) the Scamp we consider the best choice we could have made. We've seen nothing in molded fiberglass or sticky that I would want other than my Scamp. We've lived in the Scamp for over three months at a time the past 2 years.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:37 AM   #5
JBB

Name: Jan
Trailer: 2017 Lil Snoozy
South Carolina
Hi! I appreciate the all info. We were concerned with the interior height on the Casita as we discovered it's about 5'9" in the center. My husband isn't over 6', but he would have to stay hunched over to keep from hitting his head. We're looking at getting a 13' since it's just the 2 of us, and would like to get one with a front bath. When an opportunity arises for us to see one of them, and I hope that will be soon, I'm sure it will help us in our decision.

Thanks for the link Gene on the Scamp in FL. I'll look into that! Anyone else who would like to tell us about their experience with their 13', come on and leave a post!
JBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:00 AM   #6

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
If weight is a concern then you'll want to look at Scamp. That was a big factor for us. Also ceiling height as Hubby is 6 ft. Scamp was less expensive with all the options we wanted. Casita being built in Tx would have been far more convenient as we have family only a couple of hours from the factory. Instead we took a fantastic vacation to a part of the country we'd never seen before to pick up our Scamp.

Tags
casita, scamp