Futon mattress in your Eggcamper? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2013, 10:16 AM   #1

Name: Ryan
Trailer: EggCamper
Michigan
Futon mattress in your Eggcamper?

Has any of the Eggcamper owners out their used a futon mattress in their Egg? If so what type was it (ie. Memory foam, innerspring, etc.). I was thinking, it might be nice to have the couch option for additional and more comfortable seating. My concern is that it won't sit flush all the way along the back wall of the Egg. It will touch near the edges and have a gap along the center, and I am not sure if that would work okay with the mattress. Thanks, Ryan
Ryan in Mi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 12:17 PM   #2

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
I have been contemplating doing the same thing...the backside is curved but futons are kindsquooshy so I'm sure it would fit. I want a couch that drops down to a bed. I think its more versatile.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 01:03 PM   #3

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I replaced the stock mattress in my EggCamper with a futon mattress from Walmart, less than $100 and it would sit up in the back like a sofa, worked nicely.
Old 08-01-2013, 01:51 PM   #4

New Jersey
Registry
heh I want the same one as I have on my futon frame in my living room but queen sized...that one was about $300 but soooo comfortable.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
Old 08-01-2013, 03:12 PM   #5

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I shortened an IKEA memory foam over innerspring futon mattress for use in my Hunter Compact-II but several words or warning:

1, It has spring steel edge frames that are a bear to cut, shorten and splice together after removing 3 rows of innersprings
2. It has square edges and could never be fitted to anything requiring rounded corners
3. It is sooooo comfortable that you may never want to get out of bed.

We have it rigged across a long dinette so we can flip 1/2 of it over on itself and use a small pedestal table to eat on or we can slide it back into a couch shape for when we are entertaining more that 10 peeps at a time.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:38 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
We picked up an IKEA futon in the As Is corner of the store.We like it but do not use it all the time.But on our seven week trip tp the desert this year it worked good for us.Minor drawbacks.It was three inches to short for our Escape 17 B but we can live with that,Another thing was that it felt like we were sleeping in the window.But with the blinds closed it worked OK,We slept very good on it on that kind of a trip we left the bed ready to use at any time and used the front dinette for fast meals while on the road.For longer stays we dined outside anyway since weather is usually good in the the south during winter.
Allan Bornestig North Vancouver
Allan Bornestig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 11:40 PM   #7

Name: Donna
Trailer: 13'Boler /17' Escape
Alberta
Registry
Hi
I am a new member.

Anyway, I used an electric carving knife after using the cushions as a pattern on a 4 inch dense foam mattress, then I traced a 2 inch memory foam ( double size for both).

Then used a mattress cover, deep enough to accommodate both and I sleep like a baby! Sure beats the pillows shifting or falling of the bed at night.

I use a small portable fold down table to eat sitting inside, or use it out side. It is so much lighter than the original table and I like leaving the bed down all the time.
ohmydog2dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 06:54 AM   #8

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
The IKEA "As-Is" room is a most excellent venue for finding RV building materials, but ya almost always have to be first-in when the store opens as it is picked over fast

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:24 AM   #9

New Jersey
Registry
Yeah I love IKEA s as is room. Made a few sets of boat cushions from there...and my bed at hone!

Tags
eggcamper