Build Quality of Bigfoot vs Boler vs Trillium vs Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2014, 10:28 AM   #1

Name: Ben
Trailer: Trillium
British Columbia
Build Quality of Bigfoot vs Boler vs Trillium vs Scamp

Hi there,

I could not seem to find a more appropriate area for this question. If anyone has another recommendation as to where I should post this please let me know.

I have a growing interest in fiberglass trailers and want to inquire if anyone can give me a low down on build quality between the following brands:
Bigfoot, Trillium, Boler and Scamp.

I am sure there are a lot of different opinions out there but I would love some feedback.

Thanks in advance,

Ben
Ben250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 10:40 AM   #2

Name: Chuck
Trailer: tp
Washington
Ben here is my answer. I have owned seven Bigfoot trailers. My current Bigfoot is a 2001 21RB. I have owned other molded fiberglass trailers, including a 73 Boler it looks like it did when brand new. In the 60 and 70's many companies made molded fiberglass trailers and many are still used everyday. It depends on what your camping needs are as to which is the best trailer.
Chuck
FTTRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 10:49 AM   #3

Name: Ben
Trailer: Trillium
British Columbia
Hi Chuck,

Let's say we are comparing a 17 foot Boler vs 17 Bigfoot, both with the same appliances, similar years, condition etc. There is no real difference in build quality?

Or say 13 foot Boler vs Trillium? Same thing all a matter of personal preference? I have heard people consider Trillium to have better build quality with the fiberglass then Boler.
Ben250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 11:05 AM   #4

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Ben,

Be advised that I own six Trilliums, so I am somewhat biased.

The question you are asking is a little more complex then you may realize.

With new trailers, you get what you pay for mostly. Bigfoot has been making trailers, off and on, for a long time. They have always made high quality trailers, but it is difficult to compare a trailer that is 30 years old to a new one. So, I will divide my OPINIONS into two categories. New, (which I know practically nothing about) and Classic, (old).

In order of preference. Not a comprehensive list by any means.
New:
Escape (light)
Oliver (lots of standard features, built like a tank)
Bigfoot (big, comfortable, quality, did I mention big)
Parkliner (innovative design, improving support)
Scamp (good value)
Others, (just not enough info to form an OPINION)

Classic:
Bigfoot (High quality, big, heavy)
Trillium (light, well designed, fibreglass furniture)
Compact (various versions, VERY light)
Boler (same as Scamp, and many other derivatives)
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 11:41 AM   #5

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ben,
There are some build differences based on who made what & when. There are also design differences. Some of those things comes down to personal preferences.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 09:56 AM   #6

Name: Brandon
Trailer: Shopping
British Columbia
Continued...

I like the thread and it's exactly what I've been looking for...

I'm also in the market for a trailer but I'm looking for something from the 70's through 90's. For me I would like something lightweight, can sleep 2-3 comfortably, stove, sink, table, bathroom and that's basically it. My wife and I are finished with tenting and would like something small to start, even something to reno and maybe enough room for one or two kids. I've heard trailers in their 90's are much heavier and I have a 1/4 Ton Nissan Titan w/tow package to pull it, however we still want something light and old fashioned. We've been looking at Bolers and Scampers so far, but I don't see much other then those two.
brajorie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 11:24 AM   #7

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Have you considered visiting a fiberglass egg rally? It can be the best way to see a broad spectrum of makes, sizes, and ages. Some rallies are larger and more inclusive than others, so it's worth asking event coordinators what might be expected when you inquire about making a visit.

"Quality" is very subjective and depends on your expectations and prior RV experiences.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 02:44 PM   #8

Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Deluxe B19 19 ft / 2007 Nissan Frontier V6 NISMO 4x4
I second Jon's recommendation. Going to a fiberglass RV rally in Bandon, OR really made a difference in deciding which travel trailer I wanted and could afford. If you have an unlimited budget, you can get a brand new trailer custom-built to your specs. If, like most of us, you have to consider budget, then it will come down to checking out the various used travel trailers available to see what combination of price, quality, safety, weight and layout work best for your needs. Plus, going to rallies is the best way to meet all the wonderful people in the FGRV community!
V'sGlassSleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 04:23 PM   #9

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
bigfoot....

here's how a 1500 series BF is built....FG exterior...styro/ply "sandwich"...glued fuzzy headliner material for ceiling...walls get covered with thin paneling material before "furniture" is built
Attached Thumbnails
roof.jpg   roof2.jpg  

roof3.jpg   rewp4.jpg  

Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot, boler, scamp, trillium