Replacing The Electrical System in my Amerigo Fg16 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2017, 07:37 PM   #1

Name: Christian
Trailer: amerigo
New York
Replacing The Electrical System in my Amerigo Fg16

I have been renovating a 73 Amerigo Fg-16 and will be completely replacing the electrical system. This is my first project and I know nothing about these systems and how to go about it. I would be grateful to anyone who could point me in the right direction for resources on the subject. There will be no appliances in the new camper, just outlets, lights and fans. I dont know if that makes a difference. I'm also interested in solar information as well. Thanks from a complete newb!
carlthecamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 07:56 PM   #2

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
NFPA- -NEC 2014
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 09:49 PM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Are you anywhere near Albany New York Carl?
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 11:42 AM   #4

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
When you remove the old wiring, do it one piece at a time and replace each wire with a new piece that is at least as heavy as the one you remove. Make sure to include all fuses. If you are replacing the light fixtures, receptacles, fan etc. do it when you replace the wires.
Calculate your amp/hour power usage and buy solar panels with twice that amount to account for low sunlight conditions during cloudy days. Mount your solar panels on the roof or mount a bracket that will hold them if you plan on removing then during travel or when your unit is in storage to keep them in good shape.
Wire your solar panels into the leads connecting your RV battery to your trailer. That way your solar panels feed your battery and the battery feeds your trailer. Make sure your RV battery has twice the capacity your trailer needs per night to prolong its life.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 12:51 PM   #5

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Paul adds that your wiring should be "braided," not solid copper, as the "braided" type is designed for vehicles (lots of motion).

He said he used industrial grade (leftover) braided copper wiring from a large job at Machinists, Inc. back in the day...for us it was more than plenty...for MI it was a useless tag end.

BEST
Kai
Old 02-10-2017, 01:35 PM   #6

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
Multistrand copper wire is more flexible and less likely to break than single stranded.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 02:30 PM   #7

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
to see what your up against go to You Tube online and watch the videos available for replacing your converter. Do a search on You Tube for Progressive Dynamics.

I rewired my Scamp using a progressive Dynamics PD4045. My Scamp did not have a converter just an AC system and a separate 12 volt DC battery system. It was worth the effort upgrading to a more modern system. The smart wizard charging system built into the PD4045 works very well.

Look on line for wiring diagrams for trailers to get an idea of what wiring circuits you may want to include and how professionals combine the working systems.

Be careful with what you are doing because if done wrong it can be a serious life changing experience.

You will have allot of very important decisions to make and you need to know how much power your circuits need and how to protect those circuits.

1973 was a very long time ago and even copying what you have in your trailer now may not be the proper way to do it today so double check everything.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 03:30 PM   #8

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Multistrand copper wire is more flexible and less likely to break than single stranded. Mike L.

Right. Paul called it "braided," multistrand = better for moving vehicles and trailers.
Senior moment.

BEST
Kai

Tags
amerigo, electrical