Amerigo Window Replacement - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2019, 10:34 AM   #1

Name: Dustin
Trailer: Amerigo FG16
Alberta
Amerigo Window Replacement

Hi, I have started demo on my Amerigo trailer and I am at the point where exterior work and window work needs to be done before adding back to the inside. All the windows are original, but they are that tinted plexiglass and they are completely covered in micro scratches. Some also have cracks and fractures from over the years. I want to replace them, but can't decide if I should put plexiglass/acryllic or glass windows in. What has been found to be better over the years? Thanks!
Dustin in Edmonton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 05:34 PM   #2

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Hey, Dustin,
There are advantages and disadvantages to all window materials. Lexan, for example, is immensely tough, but darkens in a few years, I hear, and is very pricey. Weight, cost, availability. Paul said when the time comes to address all those issues with our original windows (and thank goodness you're not missing any!) he'll go to a local auto glass replacer and start by asking them.
Kai
Old 03-20-2019, 07:47 PM   #3

Alberta
Hey Kai,

Yes we are very lucky that all the originals are intact. Just in rough condition.

Have you heard of what can be done to replace the window frame? Is there a way to reuse the original frame? Unfortunately the mechanisms on the original windows are kinda iffy... some work some dont... so I might have to find new window and window frames altogether.

Dustin
Old 03-21-2019, 07:50 AM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16
North Carolina
Dustin, replacement windows & frames are expensive. I know when I looked at replacements for my amerigo the oddball sizes required ordering windows made to order & they came in @$500 & up each plus shipping.

If you are able to make the openings smaller ( re: serious fiberglass work!) you may be able to find a standard size window that's more economical but going this route means you'll likely be painting the outside of your camper. In my case the gelcoat is still fairly good so I didn't want to go that route.

You can replace the plexiglass inserts in your originals but it is a job. Another forum member here replaced theirs & I think they wound up using some shower door setting strip to seal the plexiglass into the aluminum border frame.
I did find the "T" bulb weatherstrip that seals the window panel to the window frame thru Lowes as a special order item, a 100 ft roll was about $100.

The latches/push out rods as you say are iffy, not much that you can do to improve on them..... those alone may be a good reason to consider new windows. A lot of these choices depend on your remodel budget. When you start adding up window costs, new cushions, appliances etc it can get away from you pretty quickly!
SteveV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 09:21 AM   #5

Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
Dustin, replacement windows & frames are expensive. I know when I looked at replacements for my amerigo the oddball sizes required ordering windows made to order & they came in @$500 & up each plus shipping.

If you are able to make the openings smaller ( re: serious fiberglass work!) you may be able to find a standard size window that's more economical but going this route means you'll likely be painting the outside of your camper. In my case the gelcoat is still fairly good so I didn't want to go that route.

You can replace the plexiglass inserts in your originals but it is a job. Another forum member here replaced theirs & I think they wound up using some shower door setting strip to seal the plexiglass into the aluminum border frame.
I did find the "T" bulb weatherstrip that seals the window panel to the window frame thru Lowes as a special order item, a 100 ft roll was about $100.

The latches/push out rods as you say are iffy, not much that you can do to improve on them..... those alone may be a good reason to consider new windows. A lot of these choices depend on your remodel budget. When you start adding up window costs, new cushions, appliances etc it can get away from you pretty quickly!
Hey Steve,

Ya it's looking like it will be fairly expensive. I contacted a custom glass cutter here and they ballparked $12-14/sq ft CDN for tempered glass. But that would just be the glass.

Where did you go to find custom frames/window info to get the quote you got?

Where did you find current standard RV window sizes? I wonder if I could make some of the windows slightly bigger till they fit a standard size? Haha that would cut out the fiberglass work to go smaller haha

I will be going around to some RV places in the next little bit to see what they say too.

Dustin
Old 03-21-2019, 10:16 AM   #6

Name: Steve
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16
North Carolina
It's been a few years since I got prices but I think it was this place: https://www.easyrvwindows.com/pricing.asp

As far as standard sizes the easiest place to look is on ebay, put the size you're looking for in your search & if it is standard there will be many to pick from. If you are close to an rv dealer maybe see if they have some new take outs.

Good luck in your search!
SteveV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 10:20 AM   #7

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Hi, Dustin,
You can hardly make Amerigo windows bigger! They are among the biggest out there now, leaving precious little interior wall space for, let's say, simply leaning back against a wall! Sure, the views are great--yes they are--but really, the outdoors is right there if you need even more views! It all very much depends on how much work you are ready to do and how much money you want to spend. Start asking at other window and RV places and you'll soon get a list of "where to finds." Machine shops can often fabricate things. Those little push-posts can be replaced and riveted on, I've seen pictures on FGRV of replaced ones. If I were going to replace them, I'd make them a tad longer and notch so you could push the window open a little more...though at some point the thing will then just unhinge and fall out, as they're designed to come out/off fairly easily for cleanng.

We were having a lot of trouble with our original windows sticking and jamming (and you don't want to force them beyond a certain point!) but were told a variety of ways on FGRV to thoroughly clean and possibly lube them. We used what we had from the list and voila, get enough oxidation and dirt off aluminum and whatnot, and it slides again! I even used buttonhole thread and literally sewed the rubber gaskets back together where they had shrunk inches apart. Eased it into place and it worked!

We're living with the minor crazing and cracking and crackling and occasional starbursts--(nothing leaks through anywhere, thank goodness) with the original plexiglass. We did buy some cute sticker/decals on ebay to cover the original stickers that were horrible looking, missing, or the very worst spots...but you can go overboard. The OP used the simple method of letting single fabric panel curtains stay closed over the windows. Light came through fine, but you didn't see all the wear and tear. No, that was another small thrill we had when we got home.

I'm hoping Paul will put in a plexiglass panel over the narrow, long back window so I'll feel better leaning against it like a couch back...yet another spot where more wall and less window might be handy, really. I assume if you kick that window hard enough it will pop out for egress in an emergency...

Another thing to think about in terms of kicking out windows is why are you allowing flames inside your trailer at all? Not a lot of escape routes just in case. Peanut had half-burnt candles everywhere inside; mostly, we discovered, to try to obscure the stench from a rotting floor, bottomed and hidden by a "bathtub" hull and covered with brand-new Pergo laminate that hid the spongy damage from our not-too discerning eyes.

Looking back now, OK, probably worth it. At the time, one bad moment after another for many months.

But--we didn't have to wait six years to get our egg. We just had to boil it a lot longer than some after acquisition.

Windows--we'll be with you on some of that eventually. Please do tell us if you forge on, how it goes, what you find, what you pay, was it worth it, etc....

BEST
Kai
"K"
Old 03-22-2019, 07:05 PM   #8

Alberta
Thanks Steve!
Old 03-22-2019, 07:06 PM   #9

Alberta
Thanks Kai! Ya it is daunting to deal with the windows...
Old 03-22-2019, 07:09 PM   #10

Alberta
After looking at the windows a bit more, I think I am going to go down the route of just replacing the plexiglass, but keeping the original frames. I think I will spruce them up and find a way to fix the mechanisms rather than paying for the custom window frames or dealing with shrinking or enlarging the window size. I will definitely keep you posted as to what is going on... our next step is to replace the floor that we just tore up...
Old 03-28-2019, 10:08 AM   #11

Name: Ruth
Trailer: Amerigo
Washington
Registry
Amerigo window push post breakage

Hi! Thank you so much for sharing re: the windows!! My plexiglas isn't perfect, but good enough! Like you say, the outside is just a step away. The push posts are a problem! Two of mine have broken off and need to be re-fabriated and riveted on....would sure love if you could post any pics or information on doing that!! I have kept all the broken off parts, am using heavy duty little clamps on the broken off ends to keep the windows closed.

Also, do you know of a good polish that might work on the windows?

I love my little Amerigo!!!

There are pics posted....My ex-husband rebuilt the little kitchen, put a microwave up above the sink....I still have his rough sketch for doing this project. He was a great carpenter, a residential contractor.

Hope to hear from you.

Thank you!
Giggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 07:16 AM   #12

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
I use NOVUS 1,2,&3 for the windshield on my Harley. It takes some elbow grease but the results are really good. Being side windows, you might get away with a once a year, rather than the monthly i need on the bike

Joe
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 08:19 PM   #13

Name: Ruth
Trailer: Amerigo
Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe MacDonald View Post
I use NOVUS 1,2,&3 for the windshield on my Harley. It takes some elbow grease but the results are really good. Being side windows, you might get away with a once a year, rather than the monthly i need on the bike

Joe
GREAT! Thank you!
Giggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amerigo