need better door latch for burro - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2014, 06:15 AM   #1

Name: fred
Trailer: Burro, had aliner
Michigan
need better door latch for burro

I have figured out how I am going to try to reshape the curved bottom of the door of my 1978 13 foot burro to make it more conforming to the shell. While I am at it I would like to replace the door latch/lock mechanism with something more secure, and possibly including a deadbolt of some sort. Has anyone done this? What type of latch did you install? Thanks Fred
fred wark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 08:16 AM   #2

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
Fred, if you have the original L400 latch, the bad news is that there's nothing out there that really fits in that molded space in terms up newer more robust door latches. But it sounds like you're pretty handy, so there are some options.

When my dad and I replaced my old latch with a new model door handle that has both a deadbolt and a locking latch (a Trimark I think), we did a bunch of fiberglass work to re-sculpt the little molded inset on the door to make it work. The new latch is more of a square shape. But we were doing a whole bunch of body work ending in totally sanding the thing down and repainting, so in that context the mess we made modifying the door wasn't a huge deal.
jen b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 10:40 AM   #3

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
I do not know how similar your latch and door design is to the Scamp one, but here is a discussion about various mod's:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post431008
Your options depend on whether you want to secure the door against a break-in, or just prevent opening while on the road. I solved the second problem with a string, and it has worked fine on many miles of bumpy roads.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 05:54 AM   #4

Name: fred
Trailer: Burro, had aliner
Michigan
thanks Jen and Paul
fred wark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burro