Bigfoot 19' floor replacement - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2016, 06:55 PM   #1

Name: Richard
Trailer: Bigfoot 19'
British Columbia
Bigfoot 19' floor replacement

Looks like I will be needing to replace the floor in our new to us Bigfoot 19. Anyone have any suggestions what am I in for? Has there been a thread that I missed in this regard?

Richard
evenweight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 08:39 PM   #2

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Are you referring to the vinyl, or carper, or do you have structural issues with the plywood. If it is a structural issue, photos would help.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 10:49 AM   #3

British Columbia
floor

the ply underneath the click lock flooring the previous owner seems to be rotten. I'm finding dry rot on the edges of the plywood under the dinette seats and back behind the water tank. The floor is quite soft near the table.

I'm hoping to get some insight as to how the ply is attached in the floor, what thickness it is. I'm thinking of taking the project on in November when our Vancouver island camping season is over. I would like to have it done before Feb so that we are ready for steelheading etc.

Richard
Old 08-01-2016, 02:42 PM   #4

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
The plywood flooring in my 1980 17' is 1/2". On top is 1/8" of original linoleum, then plywood, then Styrofoam about 7/8" and a bottom layer underneath about 1/4" thick. Bottom layer is brown and unknown type.
Old 08-01-2016, 05:02 PM   #5

Washington
From looking at my trailer, the bottom half of the trailer is molded very similar to the top, so the bottom is fiberglass with a gel coat finish on the outside, underneath. Bigfoot floor problems are not too common. The fiberglass has plywood on top. Tom's 1980 has Styrofoam under the plywood and it sounds like it is between the fiberglass and the plywood.. I don't know if mine has foam or not.

In any event, the first thing I would do would be tear out the vinyl and get down to the plywood. It sounds like you ill have to remove the dinette seat bases to get to the plywood. Then remove any rotted plywood. If you have foam between the fiberglass and plywood it should be pretty easy to separate the rotted wood.

This is a new area for most of us Bigfoot owners so let us know what you find.

Make sure any leaks have been repaired. A leaky water tank, pipe fitting or window is what started the problem.
Old 02-03-2017, 08:02 PM   #6

British Columbia
the floor is rotten

So the entire floor is rotten out. I have removed the dinette furniture and the galley cabinet and replace the first four feet of sleepers (1 x 1 1/2") and ply wood. My plan is to work my way through the trailer repairing as I go. I'm worried that I might damage the fiber glass tub if I leave it exposed. I can repair it but its January and not fiber glassing weather.

I think the rotten plywood and sleepers has allowed the roof to sink a bit. 5/8" is about how much of a drop there has been. I'm trying to figure out how to take the stress out of the cabinets so the roof is supported and I can remove the cabinets for the next section of ply.

let me know if you have any ideas etc....

Richard
Old 02-03-2017, 08:36 PM   #7

Washington
The first thought I had was to be sure there are no leaks in the trailer at present. I think that replacing the entire floor in large sections would be best. I would try to take all of the lower cabinets out and if necessary, support the roof with vertical temporary braces. Best of luck here. I'm sure you have a project on your hands.
Old 02-04-2017, 10:26 AM   #8

British Columbia
I sure do. I just wish that they installed the cabinets with the roof on and completely finished. Trying to get these things out in one piece is proving to be challenging and time consuming.

We are tracking the leaks down as we go. Looks like a near gut job is on our way.
Old 02-13-2017, 09:45 PM   #9

British Columbia
19 bigfoot update

well floor is done. I had to get inventive with the flooring under the washroom. Managed to vaccum and scrape most of the former wood out from under in segments then wedge and pound in replacements. Its better than it was when I started.

Today now that we can walk the entire floor it was find the leaks day. We pulled and resealed the fridge vent only to find the vent was bigger that the frame the manufacturer had installed inside the trailer. For that reason only 5 of the 20 ish screws actually hit the frame. So we pulled the old frame installed a wider one and was able to install the vent with enough force to squeeze the butyl tape to form a nice seal. Also the galvanized vent had a hole in a corner that I cleaned up and used silicone.

Now its on to another culprit. The awning attachment point. Whoever did the last install or repair did an interesting job I'm not sure how I'm going to manage making a seal as there is a huge void in behind the bracket that had been filled with what looks like pl premium and silicone.

Any body have any ideas to fill this void so it be sealed completely?

After the awning I will be going after the side lights. The vents look ok at the moment but I will check during the next rain storm. Being on Southern Vancouver island it won't take long for that to happen.

all the best, Stay warm and dry,

Richard
Old 02-27-2017, 05:48 PM   #10

Name: Tracy
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Our Mess

This is how it started
Attached Thumbnails
20170121_120800.jpg  
evenweight2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 05:51 PM   #11

Name: Tracy
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
New Ply is in

And became a full gutt
Attached Thumbnails
20170212_161904.jpg  
evenweight2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 04:42 PM   #12

Name: Kief
Trailer: bigfoot
Oregon
Wow, this is good to know. I am chasing down a little leak by my front door on my b19.. Its not that bad yet.
Elbonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 09:31 AM   #13

British Columbia
heres hoping

I hope the your leak doesn't lead to the same adventure I am having. Last night I just test fit the last of the interior components. And they fit!! This has been quite the project. We will paint the bits n pices and instal. Then we are going to make a new galley counter, front shelf and galley table all in clear coated baltic birch. I'm installing a pd4045 and vinyl click lock flooring. I may lay cork down first. I have taken the opportunity to clean out the furnace and change out the rusted out drawn pan on our atwood hotwater heater.

seeing the light at the end.

Tags
bigfoot