Need help with anti-freeze flush for Scamp - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-16-2012, 11:17 PM   #21

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
I blow out everything with compressor attached to a combo hose thread/quick disconnect (air barb) on the city water inlet. 40psi max and always a faucet, flush valve or petcock open somewhere. I also pull the sacrificial anode from the water heater and flush and drain. Last I add 1 cup rv antifreeze to sink and shower traps.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 11:32 PM   #22

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Well Jack, thats another thing they should add to the weatherizing video... the zinc!
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:24 PM   #23

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by deryk View Post
Well Byron, sadly some people are lucky they can do the anti freeze... That is an interesting point though about just blowing out the lines with pressurized air.

deryk

That was done for years. Many people that have mountain cabins do the same thing with air.
I actually like my method the best, I simply move my trailer to a warmer climate. Since I have to with it I might as well take it some place interesting and enjoy the warmth too. From the PNW (Pacific North Wet) Death Valley is a good place to start. Then on to points south. I'm sure the trailer loves not having to drink that pink stuff.
Old 12-17-2012, 12:48 PM   #24

Delaware
Unless you're Satchmo, you do NEED a compressor for blowing out water lines. You don't have to own one, just have access to one. Or, conversely, you NEED RV antifreeze. Or you can get away with a good bit by living in a temperate climate. Choices, choices.

You can't even assume that a trailer with leaks hasn't been winterized. More flush valves on cheap Valterra commodes have cracked while being installed than ever cracked from icing. Right you are, Derek, need to get the anode out of the hot water tank before it gets crusty and you can't. That means once a year at least and going into mothballs is as good a time as any.

jack
Old 12-17-2012, 01:43 PM   #25

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
Unless you're Satchmo, you do NEED a compressor for blowing out water lines. You don't have to own one, just have access to one. Or, conversely, you NEED RV antifreeze. Or you can get away with a good bit by living in a temperate climate. Choices, choices.

You can't even assume that a trailer with leaks hasn't been winterized. More flush valves on cheap Valterra commodes have cracked while being installed than ever cracked from icing. Right you are, Derek, need to get the anode out of the hot water tank before it gets crusty and you can't. That means once a year at least and going into mothballs is as good a time as any.

jack

There aint no anode in my teapot.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:43 PM   #26

Delaware
Where did I put the spare warp drive?

Less IS more except on days when it's more or less less. We use a teapot for making hot water for tea and coffee and, in a dry camp, heat the warsh worter on the stove also. I used to run buck naked thru the woods trying to catch grinnies with my teeth. Now I wear a belt and suspenders and am happy with some redundancy in the domestic economy.

jack
Old 10-09-2013, 07:12 PM   #27

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
I know this is an old thread but I have a compressor question. My compressor has two dials, one for tank and one for outlet. Both will go up if dial is turned on the outlet one. Ok, mine goes way past the 40psi so I stopped my compressor once it got up there to 40 psi, Nothing came out of any outlet except a little in the shower hose. Have I used my compressor right?

Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:46 PM   #28

Name: Phil
Trailer: 2001 19' Scamp fifth wheel
California
Are you getting air out of each faucet? Keep all the faucets closed except one then plug in the compressor hose. If your compressor has pressure you will hear the air come out of the faucet. Only do one at a time it will give you more pressure to evacuate the water in each faucet.
Philmag1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 08:00 AM   #29

Name: Judi
Trailer: 16' scamp standard side diner
Indiana
Registry
Simple info on emptying antifreeze from Scamp, please?

I'm ready to remove dewinterizing antifreeze and have a question or two
Where can I empty my flush of antifreeze? A dumping station at a park or will it hurt just dumping out on the dirt where I live? How dangerous is the antifreeze in water tank and how long should I keep running water through the system?
Infogypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 10:38 AM   #30

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
If you are talking about RV antifreeze, it is non toxic. It can go into a sewer without any problems. You should run water through the system until the cherry flavor is gone. I knew someone who had a boat and put about 10 gallons of the stuff in the freshwater tank. It took a year to get the taste to go away. I never drank coffee when I was on his boat after that episode. When I winterize the Bigfoot I use less than a gallon in my system.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 11:30 AM   #31

Name: Judi
Trailer: 16' scamp standard side diner
Indiana
Registry
Thanks much! I appreciate succinct reply. Will just flush and drain a couple of times. Happy trails.
Infogypsy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp