canoeing with a scamp - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2015, 05:51 PM   #21

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
After losing two kayaks off the top of our Honda CRV (my fault, wrong rack parts) I went with a different rack setup and tie them down individually with the Thule straps. Better than bungees, which I like to use a lot.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 06:00 PM   #22

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I don't trust straps or bungee. I use a poly rope and employ the "trucker's hitch". Never been able to describe, in words, how to tie it. Best learned by watching.
Old 06-06-2015, 06:29 PM   #23

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I don't trust straps or bungee. I use a poly rope and employ the "trucker's hitch". Never been able to describe, in words, how to tie it. Best learned by watching.
I totally agree! Ropes with very little stretch are the way to go. I do; however, use a ratchet strap or two acrossed the canoe and fasten each end to the rack. I've seen racks come loose from cars, so I want the canoe and rack, blocks, etc. securely tied down.
Old 06-06-2015, 06:31 PM   #24

Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
You often see people carrying a canoe tied like this \-------\. Rope from stern to rear of vehicle and from bow to front of vehicle. That keeps the canoe from going backwards, but there is nothing keeping it from going forward in a panic stop.
It should be tied /-------\ with a rope from a thwart to back bumper and from bow to front.
Or as I do: \====/. Either works, just so the ropes are not parallel.
Old 06-06-2015, 09:02 PM   #25

And then I swam.
Attached Thumbnails
White water - 1.jpg  
Old 06-07-2015, 11:39 AM   #26

Name: Gordon
Idaho
Registry
I love to talk about boats....

Scamper Jim,
I don't think my canoe is in danger of falling off, but the forward end wiggles when I pass big rigs on the highway.

Dennis,
I think a canoe that is strapped fore and aft to a rack that is bolted to a truck bed is enough. Running straps to bumpers or tie downs is really for peace of mind. Just my opinion. However, on a car top with little distance between the rods, they are essential. Don't bring your new boat home on those foam gunwale blocks. Buy the rack first.

Glenn,
I admire you and others who are masters of rope. Despite my Boy Scout upbringing, I never got the hang of it. I like these:
Malone 9 Feet Canoe and Kayak Cam Buckle Load Straps, 2 Pack | Amazon.com: Outdoor Recreation
I've never had one fail or loosen up.

Gordon
Gordon in Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 12:09 PM   #27

The RAV4 came with one tow hook ( eye bolt ). I bought another ( cost $60 - ouch ) so I could tie the bow /\.
Old 06-07-2015, 02:08 PM   #28

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
You might look at the Yakima & Thule web sites. They have solutions to loading / unloading watercraft from vehicle roofs.

Our Yakima rack has an extension which pulls out of one of the cross tubes, extending about 3 feet beyond the side of the vehicle. That allows me - alone - to lift one end of our kayaks up onto the extension, then go to the other end of the kayak(s), lift it onto the rack, then push the first end over onto the rack. Reverse the process to single handedly unload the kayak. It's really a simple solution.

... Greg
Not all who wander are lost.
Greg Hine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 04:44 PM   #29

Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon in Idaho View Post
Scamper Jim,
I don't think my canoe is in danger of falling off, but the forward end wiggles when I pass big rigs on the highway.

Dennis,
I think a canoe that is strapped fore and aft to a rack that is bolted to a truck bed is enough. Running straps to bumpers or tie downs is really for peace of mind. Just my opinion. However, on a car top with little distance between the rods, they are essential. Don't bring your new boat home on those foam gunwale blocks. Buy the rack first.

Glenn,
I admire you and others who are masters of rope. Despite my Boy Scout upbringing, I never got the hang of it. I like these:
Malone 9 Feet Canoe and Kayak Cam Buckle Load Straps, 2 Pack | Amazon.com: Outdoor Recreation
I've never had one fail or loosen up.

Gordon

The ropes to the bed and front bumper are primary. The straps acrossed the boat to the rack are only for redundancy. I was following a friend once whose rack became detached from it's clamps and it, and the boat took a fly into the verge. I have never totally trusted clamp on racks since.

The roof rack on my new truck is bolted to the roof with 16 1/4" bolts. That one I will trust.
Old 06-08-2015, 07:29 AM   #30

Name: John
Trailer: Boler American
Missouri
Just got back from the 44th annual River Rats Floating Society spring trip on the Big Piney (The Great State of Missouri). As an aside, I have only missed seven of those trips and we are on our third generation. I pull a '72 Boler (American) with a 2002 Mountaineer. I have hauled my 16' Mohawk on the roof rack lots of times. Put a couple of tie-down points on the front and then tied off likened unto thus / then to the rear thwart \. Due to my long-ago history of throwing a canoe off the front of a '64 Chevy pickup, I throw a snug safety strap over the canoe forward of mid-ship. Never had a problem since. The ten foot yak is not a problem. Camping gear plus the classic Weber and coolers in the Boler and non-refrigerated groceries, PFD's, fishing gear, and paddles in the TV. I said not a problem but I will admit that at 63 inches in height the one man lift is a bit difficult when the Boler is hooked up.

The trip has about six miles of extremely tough road plus a half-mile drive down a literal cowpath through a field. Usually a week-long trip and of course boondocking. Coolers and a mid-week trip on ATV's for ice. Although they talk of carcinegins (SP?) 80+% of the meals are cooked on the Weber so no propane tank. I take an old-school single burner Coleman stove for frying eggs and making coffee. During this trip the Boler is more or less a sleeping tent I do not have to set up or strike. Makes life so much easier and the trip even more enjoyable.

Just for funsies. Two years ago it was decided that we would just go ahead and get stranded in 14' over flood stage waters for a couple of extra nights so my grandsons would have a summer adventure to write about. I thought I was going to actually find out how good a canoe the Boler would make once the water got a few inches from the tires. We only had a couple of brief showers but unbeknownst to us there had been a Biblical size deluge about twenty miles upstream. Now we take a weather radio.........and we listen several times a day. What with Fort Leonard Wood being adjacent to the property it can be difficult to tell thunder from the far distant cannon fire. Forty-four years.....one flash flood back in '75, the slow flood two years ago, and a fellow Rat's death due to heart attack on the river three years ago. In exchange for a lifetime of adventure, fish, music, fellowship, and stories....................

Borders
Borders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 08:22 AM   #31

Name: Steve in NY
New York
"I don't trust straps or bungee. I use a poly rope and employ the "trucker's hitch". Never been able to describe, in words, how to tie it. Best learned by watching."

So true. Learn to tie two knots. a Bowline, and a truckers knot. They really take a few minutes to learn. then get some low stretch rope. straps with buckles aren't nearly as good, and the metal is just waiting to gouge your paint or your canoe. Here is the truckers Knot:

Another good trick is to raise your hood, remove a fender bolt and put a loop of strap under the the bolt. Now you can just pull the loop out and tie the bow directly to these loops and avoid laying on the muddy ground running lines. It will also prevent the rope from chafing your paint job. Here is a Thule commercial version. I am too cheap and just used a piece of strap, poked a drill through it and burned the eges to prevent fraying.

Take Care,
Steve
Steve in NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 08:24 PM   #32

Trailer: Boler 1984
I have been a canoehead since the late 70's. I have hauled up to 20 ft canoes and single and two man kayaks. My main tripper since 1989 has been a 17ft 6in cedar stripper. Even carried it on top of an old Vega wagon. Using the fender bolt and strap is the best advice given. It is a proven winner with our local canoe/kayak club. Straps over the top hold the canoe on the racks. Tie downs front and back hold the canoe on the car. If there is about 18 inches of space between the canoe and the trailer then the canoe should swing nicely when turning. Tie it on, hook up the trailer and drive carefully around the block. Any problem, move the canoe forward and retie. Secure it safely. I have seen a canoe do a 90 degree turn on top of a van when passing a transport and not fully secured. Not safe. Not pretty.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 09:00 PM   #33

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
I appreciate all the talk about safely securing a canoe on the tow vehicle. I'm thinking of getting a canoe, although it's tough to find enough water now in California since we're in our 3rd year of drought. I'm a little skittish about having a canoe on top of my vehicle as I was driving behind a car on the Golden Gate Bridge when their canoe fell off sideways onto the pedestrian way. No one was hurt, but what a traffic jam it caused! I'll definitely learn the right way to secure my future canoe when the time comes.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 12:25 PM   #34

Name: Gordon
Idaho
Registry
OK, OK. It's apparent that many boaters have strong opinions about securing a canoe to a rig. So do I. My canoes have been like friends to me. I wouldn't do anything to put them at risk.
First: Rack must BOLT to truck bed. No clamps.
Second: Use HEAVY duty cam straps, and cut them to length. Don't leave excess strap loose in the wind. Pad the crossbars to protect the gunwales.
Third: By all means, use fore and aft straps if you want to. It's your time. But consider what you're connecting to on the canoe. Is it a painter rope, a wooden thwart, a plastic handle?

Just do the best you can, so you can drive with the confidence that your boat isn't going to fly away. Check your straps once in a while. Have fun.

Gordon
Gordon in Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp