5th hitch Scamp on Toyota Tundra - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2015, 08:23 PM   #1

Name: Jessie & Carl
Trailer: Scamp her name is Mae West
Missouri
5th hitch Scamp on Toyota Tundra

Hope there is an easy solution. A call in to Scamp only got VOX, so left a message.
The bed sides are quite a bit taller than our small 4cyl, 1988 toyota, AND around here, they know nothing of FG RV, at least not the 1st place we called, and do not want to use the RV supply place that wired our elec brakes system with used plug and wires, wound through the spring on the shocks, and over the catalytic converter. Another whole story.
We will have to find someone to install the gooseneck hitch, but wonder if we will have to 'build it up' in the bed, or (horrors) lift the Scamp itself.
Thanks in advance for any info!
We have used the Scamp bringing her home, and on a short jaunt over Memorial Day holiday weekend, using the 88 small toyota. My husband did not want to take it much farther due to the age and size of it, hence the larger vehicle.
jessie
JessieJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 09:02 PM   #2

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
I just went trough replacing an older Toyota that I used for eleven years to tow the fiver. In my search the lowest bed height on any new truck were on the Toyota Tacoma, and Nissan Frontier, and they are both higher than you, or our old Tacoma. The Chevy Colorado, and all full sized trucks are much higher yet.

You need to see what Scamp says, maybe the Tundra is within their allowable limits, but I think your options will be to raise the Scamp or lower the truck. Either one is possible, It would be my preference to lower the truck, because I would feel better about not raising the Center of Gravity of the camper.
Old 06-09-2015, 09:28 PM   #3

Missouri
raising Scamp or lowering the truck

Hmm, had not thought about lowering the truck . That might be the easiest, and it IS quite high off the ground. Himself is snoozing in his easy chair , but in the morning I will make that suggestion! Thank you so much!
Old 06-10-2015, 08:36 AM   #4

Name: Dennis
Minnesota
If I remember correctly, Scamp's recommendation for bed height was 48" when I bought the Toyota in 2004. I measured the height of my Nissan and the current Tacoma at 50 1/2" I didn't measure any full sized trucks, as they just looked to high. 50 1/2" works, as I have vertical clearance of 5 1/2" between the truck and trailer. That should be adequate if not going off pavement. I am planning to watch carefully the first time I go over a curb (something I have to do each time I put my trailer in storage).
Old 06-11-2015, 08:46 AM   #5

Name: Bruce
Arizona
Bruce & Ellyn

We pull our 2002 Scamp 5th wheel with a Ford F150. It is 4 wheel drive and the bed is quite high. We had an in-bed pop-up ball installed. It folds down below the truck bed when we are not on the road RVing so we can use the truck for work. We had the trailer raised a couple of inches and the ball hitch extended. It works perfectly and, since we are out of the house hooked up and on the road in just a couple of minutes, we tend to use the 5th wheel more. And...we get full use of the truck bed when not camping.
El Brazo Enophre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 09:02 AM   #6

Name: Rich & Linda
Trailer: Amerigo
Indiana
i like the flip up ball

nice set up
MRClaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 04:09 PM   #7

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by JessieJanet View Post
....bed sides are quite a bit taller than our small 4cyl, 1988 toyota, AND around here, they know nothing of FG RV, ....will have to find someone to install the gooseneck hitch, but wonder if we will have to 'build it up' in the bed, or (horrors) lift the Scamp itself.
Usually nobody knows nothing about FGRV's anyway, it is either a full fledged 5th wheel setup (plate and pin raised from the bed), or a gooseneck (ball low in the bed). Scamp 5th is not exactly "standard" and some trailer shops will take it on and do a bad job, some will decline to touch it at all, and there are many in between. However, there are many custom truck shops that might be willing to make some parts, if you do your own design. That is what I ended up doing a couple of years ago. I posted the details and I can find them if you are interested. By the way, I lucked out getting my Scamp because a sale fell through, due to the tow vehicle being too big!

Look at the Reese rails and bracket that Scamp sells for about $600. The rails can be mounted in the bed of the Tundra either by brackets (must be custom made) from the frame, or by using steel plates that are mounted using the bed mounting bolts (adequate because of the light weight of Scamp).

Raising the Scamp should not be an insurmountable obstacle, even if the shop has to grind through the welds holding the original axle (my opinion, with all necessary disclaimers). Good luck - the Scamp 5th is worth the trouble.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 04:31 PM   #8

Missouri
Thank you all for the input! I did not receive many of them until I got on the laptop today.
We have our rig home! I am having difficulty using the FG forum on my mobile device, not sure why. I would post a picture, but not sure how to do that, either, as it is not on a URL.
Anyway, we opted for the under-bed hitch, where the ball drops into the under-mount hitch. The other guy who did the trailer hitch raised the trailer 8", and extended the gooseneck with the hitch to grab the ball! Works wonderfully! We have about 6" clearance above the truck bed, and the truck clears the trailer nicely!
Now for the replaced water lines, and upgrade of the electrical. Waiting on the converter that has been backordered Our LED bulbs are in, so am going out to change them now!!!
Old 06-17-2015, 06:54 PM   #9

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
Scamp lifted our trailer and installed the bar hitch. My husband worked for a major livestock trailer company and had a Reece hitch modified but I think we are going back to the bar hitch because the trailer sits more level and it's able to sit further back since we are not pulling a bigger trailer anymore.
Old 06-17-2015, 07:05 PM   #10

Missouri
I called Scamp and only got the Vox mail. They never returned my call, and we don't have time to make a trip there hoping they can help us! Where in Montana, Cyndi? I have newly-found family around the state. Havre, Billings, Bozeman, and ancestors settled in Highwoods (I think it is called).

Tags
scamp