Buying a Scamp in about a year (fingers crossed) - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Money Matters
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-16-2015, 11:46 AM   #1

Name: Caroline
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Georgia
Buying a Scamp in about a year (fingers crossed)

Hello! Long time lurker on these forums, finally getting ready to purchase (hopefully).

I'm in the investigative stage of buying a new Scamp 16ft. If my finances work out, hopefully within the next year or so.

I've been reviewing Scamps 2014 Catalog (when do they update their catalog? it's 6 months into 2015) and I have a couple of questions I hope someone can help me with.

1) What is the "splash guard" that's listed as an option?

2) And does anyone have the height measurement from the bottom of the tire to the tippy-top of the roof mounted AC unit on a 16ft model? I have a pole barn I'd like to park it under.

Here are the two options I'm thinking of having priced out when I contact Scamp.

16ft Deluxe, Layout B (Wood cabinetry)

-=-=-=-
included options
-=-=-=-

Shower & Toilet
City water
4.6 cubic foot refrigerator
Gravel Shield
Electric brakes
Screen door
Small window over range
Rear cabinet
Side cabinets
Cabinet over sink
Silverware drawer
Gas hot water heater
Battery pack
12 volt water pump
Sink in bathroom
Grey water tank

-=-=-=-
additional options
-=-=-=-

Three speed roof fan
Roof air conditioner
Furnace (16,000 BTU)
10 ft awning
TV antenna
Cable TV hook up
Dual gas tanks
Outside step
2” reciever for bike racks
Exterior ground fault outlet
Stove cover
Mircowave oven
Wheel on jack
Gas & electric water heater (upgrade)
Group 27 battery pack (upgrade)
Vinyl floor
Heat strip for roof air
12 volt plug
Front porch light

_+_+_+_+_+_

16ft Standard, Layout 6 (fiberglass cabinetry)

-=-=-=-
included options
-=-=-=-

Shower & Toilet
City water
1.9 cubic foot refrigerator
Battery pack
Gravel Shield
Electric brakes
Screen door
Small window over range
Side cabinets
Cabinet over sink
Silverware drawer
Gas hot water heater
Battery pack
12 volt water pump
Grey water tank

-=-=-=-
additional options
-=-=-=-

Three speed roof fan
Roof air conditioner
4.6 cubic foot refrigerator (upgrade)
Furnace (16,000 BTU)
10 ft awning
TV antenna
Cable TV hook up
Dual gas tanks
Outside step
Exterior Ground fault outlet
Stove cover
Mircowave oven
Wheel on jack
Vinyl floor
Heat strip for roof air
12 volt plug
Front porch light
-=-=-=-

Thanks so much for your time,
regards,
CSelf
CSelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 12:36 PM   #2

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
While I am only half way through my six month wait for my Scamp to be built.. I have given the options a lot of thought so I will give you my humble opinions, keeping in mind that its based on MY needs and relies more on research than experience (although I am not new to pop-up campers at least).

1. For me, the delux wood looks nice but offers no other benefit that I know of. It does weigh more.
-=-=-=-
additional options
-=-=-=-

Three speed roof fan- YES although some people even upgrade it and/or add the MaxxAir cover: Airxcel | Maxxair |

Roof air conditioner - YES, I hate the weight and expense.. but its the lessor of three or more evils if need AC (and I DO!)

4.6 cubic foot refrigerator (upgrade) - YES, it does not run on 12 volts but few people use the RV fridge on 12 volts. And this upsize unit is supposed to keep cold longer when shut off.

Furnace (16,000 BTU)-NO, furnace takes a good amount of electric power for the fan so it will run down your battery if boondocking. If you're not boondocking and have shore power, then a $20-24 ceramic heater is plenty. If boondocking, a Olympic Wave (maybe the 3 model) should be enough heat and it uses NO electric, only propane, and is efficient. Some prefer the forced air heat of the furnace but you pay for that comfort. Item

10 ft awning-NO for me but YMMV.. I think they are a lot of trouble. They have to come down for any strong wind, etc.. but the shade can be very helpful in keeping cool. I had one on my pop-up and never used it. I'm going to try a very light weight screened room for people, and/or a solar tarp over the rig when its a hot sunny day. We'll see how it works. Robot Check

TV antenna-NO. I don't really know anything about the one that Scamp sells but I think there are likely better aftermarket ones around such as Winegard: RV Antenna - VHF UHF Winegard Sensar Antennas

Dual gas tanks-MAYBE- I got the single because I think I will need to limit tongue weight, and I don't plan to use that much propane. But if your style of trailer use calls for it, then sure.

Outside step-YES

2” receiver for bike racks_YES for me but NO for you; ) MANY reports state that using the rear receiver for bikes or gear lightens the tongue weight too much. The only reason I am keeping it on my order is that I plan to use it as an antenna mount ONLY when parked. Scamp told me the weight limit was 300 lbs but there is no way you can add that much, so far rear of the axle, without really messing up the tongue weight.

Exterior Ground fault outlet-YES.. handy

Stove cover-MAYBE- I thought I could build one.

Mircowave oven- NO.. Scamp will prep it for you if you ask (include the outlet and i think a bracket).. then you go to Wally World and buy one cheaper.

Wheel on jack-NO. Never used it on my pop-up, although I do have a trailer dolly I used a few times to move the trailer. If you later decide you need the wheel you can get it form Scamp or other places.

Gas & electric water heater (upgrade)-??- I stayed with just gas.. I would be interested to hear from those who own the electric and gas version.

Group 27 battery pack (upgrade)-NO. I plan to save the money and use the grp 24 for a while, then get a bigger gel cell type if I can afford the extra tongue weight. (Again I want to keep it light on the tongue at first because of the tug I have, YMMV)

Vinyl floor- YES- I have a dog, carpet will never stay clean.

Heat strip for roof air-NO.. it adds very little heat and the AC fan is loud. If you decide you want it, its a fairly simple DIY (I added it to the AC in my pop-up and then never used it).

12 volt plug-NO for me because I plan to add it myself along with USB outles.

Front porch light-YES
-=-=-=-
What I would plan on adding is a cover, since I will have to park outside:
RV Covers 6 YEAR warranty, rv cover, trailer cover, 5th wheel cover, toy hauler covers. CalMark RV Cover Co - Sunbrella RV Cover

Charge Wizard to improve battery life:
Charge Wizard Installation

Perhaps a battery monitor if I go off grid enough:
Trimetric 2030RV Battery System Monitor

A surge protector (esp with an AC unit!):
Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C Hardwired RVSurge Protector 30 Amp

and of course some custom lettering on the back:
https://doityourselflettering.com/create/
or
Custom Vinyl Lettering, Car & Truck Window Lettering - FREE Shipping

* Links are not necessarily an endorsement but are supplied as reference.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 12:55 PM   #3

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSelf View Post

2) And does anyone have the height measurement from the bottom of the tire to the tippy-top of the roof mounted AC unit on a 16ft model? I have a pole barn I'd like to park it under.

Well after you have been here a while longer you will learn that Scamp does no make changes fast so when they decide to update the catalogue to 2015 is anyones guess. Its only been a few years since they even had a catalogue or parts store on line. ;-)

I suggest you give them a ring on their 1-800 number and ask both the questions you have. Way better to get the answer directly from them.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 08:54 AM   #4

Name: Doug
Trailer: Scamp 16 ft.
Missouri
Your upcoming Scamp

Quote:
Hello! Long time lurker on these forums, finally getting ready to purchase (hopefully).

I'm in the investigative stage of buying a new Scamp 16ft. If my finances work out, hopefully within the next year or so.

I've been reviewing Scamps 2014 Catalog (when do they update their catalog? it's 6 months into 2015) and I have a couple of questions I hope someone can help me with.

Here are the two options I'm thinking of having priced out when I contact Scamp.

16ft Deluxe, Layout B (Wood cabinetry)

-=-=-=-
included options
-=-=-=-

Shower & Toilet
City water
4.6 cubic foot refrigerator
Gravel Shield
Electric brakes
Screen door
Small window over range
Rear cabinet
Side cabinets
Cabinet over sink
Silverware drawer
Gas hot water heater
Battery pack
12 volt water pump
Sink in bathroom
Grey water tank

-=-=-=-
additional options
-=-=-=-

Three speed roof fan
Roof air conditioner
Furnace (16,000 BTU)
10 ft awning
TV antenna
Cable TV hook up
Dual gas tanks
Outside step
Exterior ground fault outlet
Stove cover
Mircowave oven
Wheel on jack
Vinyl floor
Heat strip for roof air
12 volt plug
Front porch light

_+_+_+_+_+_

16ft Standard, Layout 6 (fiberglass cabinetry)

-=-=-=-
included options
-=-=-=-

Shower & Toilet
City water
1.9 cubic foot refrigerator
Battery pack
Gravel Shield
Electric brakes
Screen door
Small window over range
Side cabinets
Cabinet over sink
Silverware drawer
Gas hot water heater
Battery pack
12 volt water pump
Grey water tank

-=-=-=-
additional options
-=-=-=-

Three speed roof fan
Roof air conditioner
4.6 cubic foot refrigerator (upgrade)
Furnace (16,000 BTU)
10 ft awning
TV antenna
Cable TV hook up
Dual gas tanks
Outside step
Exterior Ground fault outlet
Stove cover
Mircowave oven
Wheel on jack
Vinyl floor
Heat strip for roof air
12 volt plug
Front porch light
-=-=-=-

Thanks so much for your time,
regards,
CSelf
Seems you have a deluxe Scamp coming to you. We purchased ours second hand and have many of these options. The bike rack feature is a must, wish we had it. Many of your listed items are standard, and not options. We have a 2008 Scamp, side dinette, potty/shower, stove, AC, heater, porch light, external AC outlet, and I replaced all my bulbs inside with LED bulbs. Some day Scamp will get updated and put these in from the factory. Hope you get your Scamp as you listed it here, and if so, its going to be one hell of a Scamp!
Flyboyscamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 08:59 AM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
They mount the water tank on the wood floor. Members here report condensation soaking the wood. I would request the tank mounted on top of some vinyl flooring. If you go deluxe, you are on par with Escape 17 foot price point. Didn't know if you looked at those or not.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 10:10 AM   #6

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Consider camping style.

When purchasing a new Scamp and associated options there's no one or one set of options.
If you have camped before think about what you need, not necessarily what you want, first. Carefully consider each option for value to you vs cost in weight, dollars, and usage. Then move on to the wants and do the same thing. Many people get carried away with wants.

Example... I'll only be camping in RV Resorts with hookups. Or I'll be mostly boondocking and hookups are not needed. Watch out for opinionated opinions like you don't want a furnace they use up battery power. I'll call BS on that one. If you're connected to 120 AC the converter keeps the battery up. If you're boondocking there's other ways to conserve the battery and a ceramic electric heater won't work, or if tried will use up a lot more battery.

One of the best ways to conserve power is LED lights.
Old 06-17-2015, 10:13 AM   #7

Name: Doug
Trailer: Scamp 16 ft.
Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken C View Post
They mount the water tank on the wood floor. Members here report condensation soaking the wood. I would request the tank mounted on top of some vinyl flooring. If you go deluxe, you are on par with Escape 17 foot price point. Didn't know if you looked at those or not.
That's not true! I have a 2008 Scamp and NEVER have had condensation water problems with my water tank, NEVER
Flyboyscamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 10:17 AM   #8

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Quote:
Hi Ken,

I have a hot water heater in my scamp. Was just curious. Even with the styrofoam cover on the outside of the unit, folks find it condensates? I have just a wood floor (carpet in my scamp) and haven't noticed anything unusual. Further thoughts?

Thanks,
Wendy
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 10:27 AM   #9

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Members reported the fresh water tank not hot water heater. Pretty poor design planning on Scamps part. Just search the archives to read more. Cheers.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 10:44 AM   #10

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
... Watch out for opinionated opinions ...

opinionated opinions? Are there other kinds?

Besides.. I thought the OP asked for opinions. Offering opinions based on experience with the associated rational should assist the OP with making the decisions right for their situation.

As for running furnace while on shore power, yes of course the battery will not be run down. But if you're already on shore power, then why use your propane at all.. save it for later and use the electric you are already paying for. And if you are not on shore power and using the furnace much, it will shorten the amount of time you can be off grid due to the battery drain, whereas a Propane only catalytic heater will not (and will use less propane to boot!)

But (like i said before) some people prefer the forced air heat of the furance.

Anyway, that's my opinionated two cents worth. Watch out for it!
Old 06-17-2015, 12:17 PM   #11

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboyscamp View Post
That's not true! I have a 2008 Scamp and NEVER have had condensation water problems with my water tank, NEVER
Lucky you. Maybe it's where you camp or the time of the year. But, there are plenty of threads and horror stories where folks have had to replace the floor under the freshwater tank because of condensation issues.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 12:53 PM   #12

Registry
Quote:

While on the other hand I have a 23 year old Scamp with the tank mounted on the floor and have never had any condensation issues with it. Floor is just fine - looks the same as it did new and I use the water tank a lot. When I redid the straps on it a few years ago and moved the tank out of the way it looked brand new under there. Only Scamps I have ever seen with a floor issue have been due a leak being left not fixed for extended time.

Agree though the Escape 17 would indeed be a trailer the OP should take a serious look at.
Old 06-17-2015, 04:28 PM   #13

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampyTime View Post
Hi Ken,

I have a hot water heater in my scamp. Was just curious. Even with the styrofoam cover on the outside of the unit, folks find it condensates? I have just a wood floor (carpet in my scamp) and haven't noticed anything unusual. Further thoughts?

Thanks,
Wendy
Why would you want to heat HOT water???? I call it a "water heater"

Condensation should not be an issue for the fresh water tank; altho if you fill it with very cold water and are in a high humidity place you may get some.
Once the water warms to ambient temp it is fine. But, the plumbing around the tank COULD spring a leak. AND, if you travel over a lot of rough roads, the tank may come loose of its tiedown strap. A few of us have added heavy hold down lumber above the tank to keep it in place.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 04:32 PM   #14

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Scamp does not change their designs every year so you are good with the 2014 catalog. Since you are in Georgia, have you looked a CASITAs. They are at Rice TX, just S.E. of Dallas. They have some features better than SCAMPs
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 05:19 PM   #15

Registry
Quote:
Members reported the fresh water tank not hot water heater. Pretty poor design planning on Scamps part. Just search the archives to read more. Cheers.
Ok could someone please point me to all these posts by people who actually own a Scamp thatt the condensation caused damage on the floors. I don't recall there being *lots*of them and I just did a google search on the site and couldn't find any! I see lots of posts about water damage under tanks but they look to be have been due to a long term leak in the hose or the window above the tank.... Not saying the condensation thing does not happen just having a real hard time finding all these posts & cases mentioned....
Old 06-17-2015, 06:53 PM   #16

Name: Donald
Trailer: Scamp 16
Ohio
Well, Carol H., to answer the two questions in your original post:

1. The splash guard is a guard behind the stove to protect the wall and wall covering from splashing grease,etc. Not worth the cost since you can do an easy DIY with any number of materials to achieve the same purpose.

2. The height is 8' 11 and 1/2". I recently ordered a 16' and the Scamp people told me the height.

Robertsd8...Scamp 16 SD on order, delivery 5 October...21 weeks from order.
robertsd8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 12:15 AM   #17

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertsd8 View Post
Well, Carol H., to answer the two questions in your original post:

1. The splash guard is a guard behind the stove to protect the wall and wall covering from splashing grease,etc. Not worth the cost since you can do an easy DIY with any number of materials to achieve the same purpose.

2. The height is 8' 11 and 1/2". I recently ordered a 16' and the Scamp people told me the height.

Robertsd8...Scamp 16 SD on order, delivery 5 October...21 weeks from order.
Thanks Donald I wasn't the party originally asking but thanks for providing the answers to the OP's original questions...

You do have me curious about the splash guard though - is this a metal lift up guard attached to the stove itself ? or is it just and extension of the fiberglass up further onto the wall behind the stove?
Old 06-18-2015, 08:51 AM   #18

Name: Caroline
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Georgia
Hello again!

My thanks to everyone who has responded to this thread. Shopping for a new toy is so much fun isn’t it?

I am looking for a camper that will have a long life without so much worry about water leaks. I am looking at a possible job transfer and retirement in a few years. Having a mobile living space available to me would really simplify some of the life changes I’m going to be going through over the next few years/decades. I may find myself living for a few months at a time in the camper I buy.

I also plan to travel and see the US and Canada, maybe Mexico. I am dreaming of camping in a combination of full service campgrounds, various parking lots and state/national parks. I expect that having both on grid and off grid options in my camper will be beneficial to my comfort.

gordon2

Deluxe option -- I’m looking at pricing out the Deluxe simply because I love the look of wood cabinets. If the price is prohibitive, I’ll learn to like fiberglass cabinets just as much.

I will add a Maxxair fan to my wish list. I’ve seen really good reviews of this fan and I think it’s something my money will be well spent on.

Furnace – I like the idea of the furnace being controlled by a thermostat. I’ve owned a camper in the past (a 1980’s vintage stick unit) with a Dometic furnace in it and I found the sound of the furnace comforting. Yeah, I may be a bit weird too.

Microwave – thanks for the note that Scamp will prepare the camper for a microwave then I can purchase one to my preference. This is probably the route I’ll go.

Group 27 Battery option – since I do expect that at times I’ll be camping without hook-ups I wanted to plan to have enough power available. I am also planning to have a portable solar unit that I can use to keep the battery topped-off when I’m out exploring. I would rather go with the larger capacity battery to start with….I can always downsize the size of the battery in a larger battery box, not so easy to retrofit a bigger battery box when you won’t have easy access to a shop.

Wayne Collins
I have researched Casitas, and they seem to have some issues (I do understand that all campers have issues of one kind or another) with plumbing drains and tank capacity. In all the reading I’ve done, Scamp has some well-known issues, but because they are so well known fixes are well documented.

Robertsd8
Thank you for the measurement. My pole barn at its highest point is 9 1/2ft. I may have to excavate some dirt so the AC will clear a rafter or two, but I think it’ll fit.

The splash guard **grin** I’m glad I asked, I was thinking of mud flaps for the tires instead of something inside the camper as part of the stove installation.

Carol H.
Thank you for your reassurance that Scamp’s slow updating of their catalog isn’t something to worry about. Another reason I’m seriously interested in a Scamp is that they are a company that’s been in business for a very long time and they seem likely to be in business for a long time to come.
CSelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 09:33 AM   #19

North Carolina
Quote:

gordon2

Furnace – I like the idea of the furnace being controlled by a thermostat. I’ve owned a camper in the past (a 1980’s vintage stick unit) with a Dometic furnace in it and I found the sound of the furnace comforting. Yeah, I may be a bit weird too.

Group 27 Battery option –….I can always downsize the size of the battery in a larger battery box, not so easy to retrofit a bigger battery box when you won’t have easy access to a shop..
Nothing weird about that. In fact I prefer the type of heat you get with a furnace, its more comfortable, but I'm OK with "roughing it" by forgoing that comfort. "Roughing it" by getting cold is not acceptable however.

Good point on the battery... I might have to reconsider.

Don't forget there is a long lead time when you order and if you must (six months for me this summer), you can make changes in the order up to a point. I hear its different in the winter but I have no knowledge of that.
Old 06-18-2015, 10:02 AM   #20

Registry
Quote:
I am looking for a camper that will have a long life without so much worry about water leaks.
Well heres the world as I see it

ALL trailers will/can leak even brand new trailers! EVEN the most popular &/or the most expensive of the fiberglass trailers. For many reasons things can shake loose and/or break. If the leak is not dealt with quickly there will be damage to something! It may not be the floor itself that rots but even on the trailers that use fiberglass on their floors serious damage will happen if a slow leak is left long enough.

Case in point I spent part of my last camping week-end helping a friend with a very popular newish trailer here with a fiberglass floor on it with vinyl on top of it, fixing a slow water leak that had clearly been happening for more than just a day. Only was noticed when they happened to be standing outside the trailer and saw a couple of drop of water came out of the weep hole built into the floor of the trailer (a nice design feature that apparently works) it had been dry and hot for days so water should not be dripping off the trailer. Pulled the rear hatch open closest to that weep hole - one they do not use much as its hard to get into and has no outside door to it. It was clear a water line connection in that area had been dripping slowly for more than a day - flooring curled up and the wood that the hatch walls was made out of and wood dividers within it had been absorbing the water for some time. If it had gone unnoticed for much longer they would not only would have had to redo the floor cover but they also would defiantly have had to have their wooden rear hatch cabinet rebuilt.

In the case of the suggestion that condensation from the water tank is causing the wood floor on lots of Scamps to rot, IMO having seen and read many of the floor replacement posts over the years, there are many items in the hatch the Scamps water tank sits that have a much higher probability of leaking slowly and unnoticed causing a floor to rot. Water pumps, water lines, windows above, water filler etc. On most of the trailers were floor rot has been found they are older trailers, so unless the owner has had the trailer its entire life they would be hard pressed to prove it was indeed condensation from the water tank only that caused that rot to take place.

Not saying that having a trailer with a fiberglass floor is not a better feature, any thing to avoid floor rot is a good thing. But with all good things one should and will pay more for it.

As with all things I could be wrong though

Tags
scamp