Mods the Former Owner did that you like - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2017, 09:15 AM   #1

Name: Lisa
Trailer: 1992 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Mods the Former Owner did that you do like

I was wondering what mod was done to your trailer by the former owner that you like and have kept.

I have had my Scamp for just over 2 months now.
One modification that was done by the former owner is this metal plate and doorknob. I'm not sure why he did it, or what is under the plate that caused the plate to be there, but I do like it.

Since putting in the new door seal, I can't utilize the padlock, maybe when the rubber gets squished more I can use that again as I like it too.

I apologize if this thread idea has been posted in the past, I did try some searches and only came up with mods by the current owner, or mods by a former owner that folks didn't like.

Here's the mod on my Scamp that I like:
lisantica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 09:22 AM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
your job

Lisa i think you are going to have to put a build up on your hook thingee no big job.

You will figure it out

bob

a 13f Scamp looks redicoulus
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 09:37 AM   #3

Name: claire
Trailer: 2013 casita pd
Texas
my trailer was 4 months old when i purchased it from it's previous owner. he moved the battery to the tongue and that was absolutely the best mod that he could have done to my 2013 13ft casita PD (patriot deluxe)
so easy now to access/service the battery out there rather than having to dig into the inside bench seat to get to it. i just love the location!
clairemr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 09:42 AM   #4

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by clairemr1 View Post
my trailer was 4 months old when i purchased it from it's previous owner.
Wow, that's practically buying a new trailer!
I'm glad you posted about the battery, I didn't know that some trailers have the 12V inside under the seats.
Old 10-08-2017, 09:50 AM   #5

Texas
yes, the previous owner was elderly and had owned many campers in the past. he and his wife bought the 2013 13ft casita PD to use as an escape pod when storms hit near their home in houston, tx.
unfortunately, just after purchase, he was diagnosed with a terminal lung disease and they decided to liquidate many of their assets (including my casita) so as to ease the burden on his wife later.
he was a delightful man, i enjoyed meeting him and was glad he had taken such good care of my now "home". sad he faced such an issue, but that is the human condition.......
Old 10-08-2017, 10:05 AM   #6

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post
Lisa i think you are going to have to put a build up on your hook thingee no big job.
True, I could probably put some old inner tube under there, but my worry is once I unscrew (since he used screws), that it may not hold again. It's possible that I could put more pressure on the door and it might latch....but then I didn't want to stress the hinges.
Old 10-08-2017, 10:08 AM   #7

Missouri
I do not know why any company would put the battery out of reach and inside a trailer that is dumb!!

bob

life in a 13f Scamp is reciculous
!1
Old 10-08-2017, 10:09 AM   #8

Missouri
Lisa youmay have to put longer screws in available at any hardware store don't go the pressure idea not good!

bob

A 13f Scamp is rediculous
Old 10-08-2017, 10:21 AM   #9

Missouri
lisa I will say one thing that is a heck of a job you must store somewhere!!

bob
Old 10-08-2017, 10:33 AM   #10

Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I would remove the hinged part of the hasp before someone figures out how to close it and lock you inside the trailer. Could be done with a wire tie even with the padlock in place.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 10:36 AM   #11

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
I would remove the hinged part of the hasp before someone figures out how to close it and lock you inside the trailer. Could be done with a wire tie even with the padlock in place.
Yikes, that worried me right as I read it, but then I remembered that I do have an escape hatch, whew.
Old 10-08-2017, 10:42 AM   #12

Missouri
I see you note all I can say is wowser!

bob
Old 10-08-2017, 10:56 AM   #13

Missouri
I look at these trailers as a step up from a tent sorry you purists out there. Locks will keep an honest person honest or slow down the crook for a bit in the meantime think of the damage done!

bob
Old 10-08-2017, 11:36 AM   #14

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Interesting concept for a thread! I know I hope some of what I've does in life will be appreciated by others when I've gone...

This may sound weird, but what I like best about what the previous owners and the owner prior to them did to our amerigo, Peanut, is they totally trashed it, hid the damage so well that we bought it, and yet left it so messed up that in the end we gutted it and remade it pretty much entirely to our satisfaction (within our budget and abilities). I'd NEVER have taken it down that far if it had been serviceable, and would always have felt a vague (or pointed) wish to change it.

Can't ever say we didn't get to do what we wanted with it!

Is that too snarky?

BEST
Kai
Attached Thumbnails
Peanut 8 2016 B.jpg   amerigo door with rain guard close-up.jpg  

Old 10-08-2017, 11:37 AM   #15

Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisantica View Post
Yikes, that worried me right as I read it, but then I remembered that I do have an escape hatch, whew.
Ideal option is a second hasp loop to lock the hinged part in the open position, but that's more screw holes in the trailer
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 11:44 AM   #16

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
Ideal option is a second hasp loop to lock the hinged part in the open position, but that's more screw holes in the trailer
True, it's good you mentioned that clasp situation because I hadn't thought of it.
Old 10-08-2017, 11:46 AM   #17

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai in Seattle View Post
hid the damage so well that we bought it,
I have to agree with this statement because I might have passed on my Scamp had I known a couple of things beforehand, but like you, we've learned from it and have made it our own.
Old 10-08-2017, 11:49 AM   #18

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
well Bob....

a lock on a trailer might do just one more thing you didn't mention: convince the thief to move on to the next trailer.....and the size of the lock has nothing to do with it

and BTW, there are no "dumb" ideas....there could be a few valid reasons for moving batteries inside a trailer....as we are on the subject, one of which being making them virtually immune to theft (compared to just sitting out there in the open)
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 11:58 AM   #19

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franswa View Post
a lock on a trailer might do just one more thing you didn't mention: convince the thief to move on to the next trailer.....and the size of the lock has nothing to do with it

and BTW, there are no "dumb" ideas....there could be a few valid reasons for moving batteries inside a trailer....as we are on the subject, one of which being making them virtually immune to theft (compared to just sitting out there in the open)
thank, you, franswa. your posting is well thought out and intelligent. by the over 30 yr success record of the casita, i'd say they've made very few "dumb" decisions on their highly popular trailers.
Old 10-08-2017, 01:18 PM   #20

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post
I look at these trailers as a step up from a tent sorry you purists out there. Locks will keep an honest person honest or slow down the crook for a bit in the meantime think of the damage done!

bob
While the hasp looks impressive, and would keep the door from opening during transit, if some one wanted to get into the trailer it would be very easy to just remove the two bolts from the door hinges and open it that way.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote