Propane Regulator Installation - Scamp Style - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2017, 03:11 PM   #21

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Interesting.. does yous sit outside 24/7 exposed to rain? Mine does. (Dont like that fact but its not so easy for me to rectify ) It had quite a bit of water in it.
Some weeks, especially when traveling! Even then only if it rains
It has a plastic cover which I removed to take the picture, the vent is horizontal toward the rear of the trailer. The cover is open at the back and behind. much more decorative than protective.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 05:13 PM   #22

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
It has a plastic cover which I removed to take the picture, the vent is horizontal toward the rear of the trailer. The cover is open at the back and behind. much more decorative than protective.
Ahh there ya go. The reg says to point the vent down OR use a cover. While I plan to do both, it looks like a cover such as the one I bought and show above, would be sufficient even for the way it was mounted.. if only Evelands included that $4 item.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 05:52 PM   #23

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Hmmm... Mine has the cover. Pretty sure it was OEM in 2008. Curious whether they are leaving it off now or yours was an oversight.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 06:26 PM   #24

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
..Curious whether they are leaving it off now or yours was an oversight.
Well now so am I... Anyone who bought or does buy a new Scamp, please let us know if your propane regulator has a cover. Photos would be great!
Old 10-12-2017, 06:55 PM   #25

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
I perfer to mount the regulator solid and run a whip hose to the tank. The regulator hanging out in the air like a bbq tank is ok for the bbq but hanging out like that bouncing down the road is allot of leverage on that 1/4" brass pipe nipple thats between the tank adapter and the regulator. With even more weight and leverage added with a rubber hose on the end.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 08:18 PM   #26

Registry
Quote:
Ahh there ya go. The reg says to point the vent down OR use a cover. While I plan to do both, it looks like a cover such as the one I bought and show above, would be sufficient even for the way it was mounted.. if only Evelands included that $4 item.
The vent must be kept clear to allow air to the diaphragm, my cover does practically nothing to keep the opening dry. Of course facing horizontal or downward prevents accumulation in the rain, but even facing downward won't prevent frost or ice blockage on the screen, rare as it is.
The vent is another place to watch for insect nesting plugging it or dirt accumulation.
If you drove home from the factory across I-94 that cover could have bounced off on the way home.
Old 10-13-2017, 12:53 AM   #27

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
If you drove home from the factory across I-94 that cover could have bounced off on the way home.
I think you might have the answer Floyd. I am amazed at all the items I see on the side of the road that came off RVs. Wish I had a buck for every vent cover . Bet none of them knew it until they got to their destination either. This may be your answer to the missing cover Gordon.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 02:15 AM   #28

Name: Ann
Trailer: 2016 Scamp 13'
Washington
No cover on a 2016

I don't think there was a cover over the regulator on my 13' Scamp, p/u Feb. 2016. If there was, it fell off within 10 miles of leaving the factory!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3547.jpg  
Triker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 05:09 AM   #29

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
There is how I rigged mine up got rid of the double tank and its weight!!!
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 05:10 AM   #30

Missouri
Mine has never had one on it still going at 22 years anyone wants it write me!! free!!!

bob
Old 10-13-2017, 06:30 AM   #31

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker View Post
I don't think there was a cover over the regulator on my 13' Scamp, p/u Feb. 2016. If there was, it fell off within 10 miles of leaving the factory!
You photo shows that you have a side vent regulator whereas my original one has the vent inline with the output hose. If they had mounted your reg the same as mine, lengthwise along the frame, then the vent would be pointed down. They seem to be hell-bent on doing it wrong. If I were you, I would try to remount is with the large vent facing down. Bit I see that might be hard to do because everything is on the "wrong" side. My rig has the reg and hose into the camper on the port side. At least get a cover.

I cannot swear that I never had a cover, but I think if there was one when I picked up the camper I would have noted it. I look things over pretty well when I spend $16,000. But it is also true that at that time I did not know a cover was recommended when the reg is mounted as it was.
Old 10-13-2017, 08:16 AM   #32

Arizona
Registry
Interesting, Ann. Yours is on the opposite side of the A-frame from mine. Mine is mounted street-side and attached to the inboard side of a bracket so the body of the regulator is protected by the frame. Yours is mounted curb-side and outboard. Must be because you have the front bath model, but that still doesn't explain why it doesn't have a cover.

Gordon, I'll take a picture of my set-up later. It looks like it might work for you, since yours is also mounted street-side with a single tank set-up. Mine is raised up higher than your second photo on a bracket so the hose is protected. Looks to me like Scamp eliminated the bracket and the cover as a time/cost saving measure. Time for another letter?
Old 10-13-2017, 08:20 AM   #33

Missouri
when

jon did they always put covers on their regulators this is the first instance I have ever seen of these covers!

bob
Old 10-13-2017, 08:23 AM   #34

Missouri
reread the post

So I see in the post if the manufacture screws up with his mounting job lets cover up the problem with a cover!

How about this why didn't they remount the thing correctly? Sometimes I wonder!

bob
Old 10-13-2017, 10:54 AM   #35

Arizona
Registry
The promised picture. This was the OEM regulator and attachment in 2008 on a front bunk Scamp 13 with a single LP tank.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1864.JPG
Views:	17
Size:	201.1 KB
ID:	112536
Old 10-13-2017, 11:31 AM   #36

Registry
Quote:
You photo shows that you have a side vent regulator whereas my original one has the vent inline with the output hose. If they had mounted your reg the same as mine, lengthwise along the frame, then the vent would be pointed down. They seem to be hell-bent on doing it wrong. If I were you, I would try to remount is with the large vent facing down. Bit I see that might be hard to do because everything is on the "wrong" side. My rig has the reg and hose into the camper on the port side. At least get a cover.

I cannot swear that I never had a cover, but I think if there was one when I picked up the camper I would have noted it. I look things over pretty well when I spend $16,000. But it is also true that at that time I did not know a cover was recommended when the reg is mounted as it was.
What do you think the purpose of the cover is and in what way does it protect the regulator?
Camco makes one for $4.41 Mine is cracked with a piece missing so I will likely order a new one, for cosmetic purposes only (I think it is pretty).
Here is what Amazon says about it...
Camco's Covers for LP gas regulators is designed to protect the regulator’s vent opening from sleet, snow, freezing rain, ice, mud, and wheel spray. If any of these items are able to cover the vent or enter the vent the regulator could become inoperable.
Oddly, no cover is supplied with the purchase of a Camco regulator.

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...SABEgLMnfD_BwE
Old 10-13-2017, 12:21 PM   #37

North Carolina
Quote:
What do you think the purpose of the cover is and in what way does it protect the regulator?
Camco makes one for $4.41 Mine is cracked with a piece missing so I will likely order a new one, for cosmetic purposes only (I think it is pretty).
Here is what Amazon says about it...
Camco's Covers for LP gas regulators is designed to protect the regulator’s vent opening from sleet, snow, freezing rain, ice, mud, and wheel spray. If any of these items are able to cover the vent or enter the vent the regulator could become inoperable.
Oddly, no cover is supplied with the purchase of a Camco regulator.

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...SABEgLMnfD_BwE
All I know about reg covers I have leaned in the last week, yet I actually feel like I can speak with some authority on the subject!

If you mount a regulator with the vent facing up, then it will work OK at first but then the reg will fill with rain water and rust, and then fail in short order. So we don't mount them that way!

If you mount the regulator with the vent facing down (or within about 45 degrees of down), water will generally not get in it, and any that does will drain out if it and it will last many years longer. No cover needed (but neither will it hurt to use one).

If you mount the regulator with the vent less than 45 degrees down or so, or with the vent vertical as in my original install, then water will get into it and it will rust and fail. A cover that extends a few inches from the vent will prevent almost all rain and road spray from getting into the vent, and almost all damage from rusting.

I think it is actually that simple, and the cover serves no other purpose really. Your local climate, storage and usage of the camper will also either contribute to a longer life for the reg, or a shorter one. Of course ventilation is still required in case there is a leak, as well as any other manufacture's instructions such as using outdoors only.

I based these statements on what I read, and the fact that there was a good amount of water in my reg, and lots of rust. Looking at any particular camper, the way the regulator is mounted and the orientation of the larger vent, you should be able to tell if it is likely to get water in it or not. If yes, get a cover. If not, maybe it will be fine with no cover.
Old 10-14-2017, 01:10 PM   #38

North Carolina
OK! The new regulator is installed and has passed the soapy water bubble test.
I will put the covers on after it passes the flow rate and pressure drop tests.
Attached Thumbnails
NewReg-Installed-precoverd.jpg  
Old 10-14-2017, 02:08 PM   #39

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
OK! The new regulator is installed and has passed the soapy water bubble test.
I will put the covers on after it passes the flow rate and pressure drop tests.
Just a question Gordon. Any particular reason the reg is installed with part of it below the frame rail instead of even or above it for a little protection from road debris?
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 03:02 PM   #40

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Just a question Gordon. Any particular reason the reg is installed with part of it below the frame rail instead of even or above it for a little protection from road debris?
Its off kilter a little to take the stress off the hose to the tank. With the reg on the side instead of the top of the frame the hose is just barley long enough. No other reason and in fact it was mounted level at first and I did not like the stress on the hose, even after turning the tank in that direction. If I have to replace the hose at some point I will get one that is 2 or 3 inches longer but for now I am trying to reuse what I can since its only two years old.

Maybe I will get a bracket where it can be mounted higher instead. The mount I used was free since I had the parts (and no more holes in the frame rail were needed). Next time I am at the RV store I will look for one.

Tags
propane, scamp