Propane Regulator Installation - Scamp Style - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2017, 12:39 PM   #41

Name: Susan
Trailer: Scamp 13
Pennsylvania
Propane Regulator Mounted Wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Well now so am I... Anyone who bought or does buy a new Scamp, please let us know if your propane regulator has a cover. Photos would be great!
Hi Gordon,

Thank you for the heads up on the propane regulator. I have a 2016 Scamp 13 and checked it this weekend and mine is also mounted incorrectly and has no covers on it. I also read the warning right on the MEGR-298 and it said to mount it down. Mine is mounted at 9 o'clock so I guess it is within 90 degrees of down but not good enough. I guess I will have our RV guy remount it correctly but one of the lines is not long enough to do so and will have to be replaced. Eeeeks.....what would it have cost Scamp to mount it correctly!

Thanks again,

Susan
SusanandPierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 04:50 AM   #42

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanandPierre View Post
Hi Gordon,

Thank you for the heads up on the propane regulator. I have a 2016 Scamp 13 and checked it this weekend and mine is also mounted incorrectly and has no covers on it. I also read the warning right on the MEGR-298 and it said to mount it down. Mine is mounted at 9 o'clock so I guess it is within 90 degrees of down but not good enough. I guess I will have our RV guy remount it correctly but one of the lines is not long enough to do so and will have to be replaced. Eeeeks.....what would it have cost Scamp to mount it correctly!

Thanks again,

Susan
Can you post a photo?

I think if I were you I might check with the manufacturer of your reg to see if a cover is available. I think it you can get a cover over the larger second stage vent, that would be good enough.

Is you regulator the MEGR-298? Then the MEGR-862 cover should be all you need even if it is mounted with the vent vertical (unless maybe the vent is facing forward and you drive into rain, but that is unlikely). Of course that is just my understanding. Follow the advice of professionals over mine.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 10:54 AM   #43

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
... Any particular reason the reg is installed with part of it below the frame rail instead of even or above it for a little protection from road debris?
After sleeping on this question, today I changed the mount as show using the metal plate that Scamp originally had screwed to the frame with two small screws. This is still a no-holes-in-the-frame mount.
Attached Thumbnails
Remounted1.jpg   Remounted2.jpg  

Old 10-17-2017, 03:34 PM   #44

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
After sleeping on this question, today I changed the mount as show using the metal plate that Scamp originally had screwed to the frame with two small screws. This is still a no-holes-in-the-frame mount.
Bingo, from the pic, it looked like it could be repositioned higher on the same bracket .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 04:37 PM   #45

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Bingo, from the pic, it looked like it could be repositioned higher on the same bracket .
Not with the current hardware (the photos are not that good), but its good to go now. In fact i can push and pull on the regulator and get the trailer to rock. Its a solid mount and the hoses are not under undo stress. The cover(s) are likely not needed now but they are so cheap, why not.
Old 10-18-2017, 07:56 AM   #46

Pennsylvania

Hi Gordon,

Here is a picture of ours on the 2016 Scamp 13. I know for a fact, it did not come with a cover on it. I do not want to drill any holes, I may just try buying the cover and keep an eye on it since it is mounted at 9 O'clock. Yes, it is the MEGR-298.

Sincerely,

Susan
Old 10-18-2017, 08:02 AM   #47

Pennsylvania

Ooops...here is my picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Scamp Propane Regulator.jpg  
Old 10-18-2017, 08:22 AM   #48

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
sort of

sort of like ours but ours just hangs there and goes to the flare fitting on the trailer!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 09:00 AM   #49

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanandPierre View Post
Hi Gordon,

Here is a picture of ours on the 2016 Scamp 13. I know for a fact, it did not come with a cover on it. I do not want to drill any holes, I may just try buying the cover and keep an eye on it since it is mounted at 9 O'clock. Yes, it is the MEGR-298.

Sincerely,

Susan
Yup, unless a pro says otherwise.. get a cover and I am sure you will be fine. The cover is all of $5.95 shipped at Amazon and $1.59 at RV Supply Parts not including shipping.

I dont think you need the smaller first stage cover also since the very small first stage vent is facing down in your case.
Old 10-27-2017, 11:39 AM   #50

Name: Dave
Trailer: Scamp
Colorado
Took the following pic while at the Scamp factory. All of the single tank units had the opening facing rearward and the dual tanks were mounted with the opening facing down as shown in the following.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2061.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	311.5 KB
ID:	113160
the_fixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 12:55 PM   #51

Missouri
thingees

dave just the way I have mine installed now. I went from a 2 tank to a single tank had to buy a new one. the other one was 22 years old a good long time of use in my book.

bob
Old 10-27-2017, 06:29 PM   #52
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Timely thread

Last fall my dometic 2193's performance was not what it should be. This spring I serviced the burner and replaced the regulator. This put the operation back to normal until this fall where again things deteriorated. Again I serviced the burner. Since the regulator was new I decided to check the pressure. This morning I built a manometer and connected it to the gas line. I expected to see 11"wc. I opened the gas and the water blew out the open end of the tube. Near as I can figure the 2nd stage of the regulator must be shot after one season. The regulator is installed in the correct orientation and has the protective cover. It is a Marshall 291 made in the U.S. Done for the season so I've got all winter to figure it out. Any thoughts would be welcome. Raz

Name:	20171027_101317.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	113183Click image for larger version

Name:	20171027_103709.jpg
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	113184Click image for larger version

Name:	20171027_105812.jpg
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	113185
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 08:35 PM   #53

North Carolina
Raz, While I applaud your initiative to build a manometer (something I have considered doing), if I got a crazy reading then I might question it, and take the camper to a professional with a quality gauge. At the same time they could do the other checks such as pressure drop, and flow / load, to insure that the system is up to specs.

My other thought is that even if your reg is fairly new and properly installed, it could still be bad. If you think it is then you might replace it before going for the testing, or just have the system tested first and replace the reg if needed.
Old 10-27-2017, 08:54 PM   #54

Missouri
wow

you are a pretty smart guy to do that!

bob
Old 10-28-2017, 04:11 AM   #55
Raz

Quote:
Raz, While I applaud your initiative to build a manometer (something I have considered doing), if I got a crazy reading then I might question it, and take the camper to a professional with a quality gauge. At the same time they could do the other checks such as pressure drop, and flow / load, to insure that the system is up to specs.

My other thought is that even if your reg is fairly new and properly installed, it could still be bad. If you think it is then you might replace it before going for the testing, or just have the system tested first and replace the reg if needed.
I will replace the regulator. They are suppose to be calibrated from the factory. If I don't get the expected results then maybe an HVAC guy. I've got all winter to noodle on it..
Old 10-28-2017, 04:13 AM   #56
Raz

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post
you are a pretty smart guy to do that!

bob
Others would say what are you nuts
Old 10-28-2017, 06:10 AM   #57

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
I will replace the regulator. They are suppose to be calibrated from the factory. If I don't get the expected results then maybe an HVAC guy. I've got all winter to noodle on it..
Good plan. Yes, they should be properly adjusted from the factory. So I wonder, will you check the new one with your manometer? It would be interesting to see if you get different results. I would like to have that tool in my arsenal also, and building it is one option although I would probably buy something.
Old 10-28-2017, 06:35 AM   #58
Raz

Quote:
Good plan. Yes, they should be properly adjusted from the factory. So I wonder, will you check the new one with your manometer? It would be interesting to see if you get different results. I would like to have that tool in my arsenal also, and building it is one option although I would probably buy something.
A manometer is very accurate as long as your measurements are correct. It is what is used to calibrate the gauges. Just don't use centimeters instead of 1/2" increments. The OEM was a Marshall 290, no longer made. The 291 is the direct replacement. I assumed it was US made as the OEM was but the company is now Marshall Excelsior so who knows. Amazon sells a Mr. Heater made in Italy. A close examination of the picture seems to indicate otherwise.

Name:	IMG_20171028_083209.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	113192Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171028_083259.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	113193
Attached Thumbnails
_20171028_083321.JPG  
Old 10-28-2017, 06:57 AM   #59

Missouri
regulator

i think mine is a mr buddy came with the hose and regulator the original was 22 years and showed no rust I just wanted a single tank system. you guys with enquiring minds amaze me sometimes. you must have a background in this stuff.

as for the rust problems and things I think I would buy the whole tank enclosure thingee and be done with it.

This would resovle all water issues entirely plus I think they look sharp on a 2 tank system!

bob
Old 10-28-2017, 08:38 AM   #60

North Carolina
Quote:
... The OEM was a Marshall 290, no longer made. The 291 is the direct replacement. I assumed it was US made as the OEM was but the company is now Marshall Excelsior so who knows.
The Marshall Excelsior catalog has a "Made in USA" tag on about every page (but maybe they mean the catalog itself LOL). I think my MEGR-298H says made in the USA on the back (underside) but I cant see it well enough to be sure without removing it.

Quote:
Amazon sells a Mr. Heater made in Italy. A close examination of the picture seems to indicate otherwise.
Amazon information is terrible and often wrong (not to mention that they seem to sell used or returned items as new a lot, and a lot of knock-offs and imitations are in the marketplace). Now days I pretty much assume everything is made in China unless I have information to the contrary.

BTW, is the only difference between the MEGR-291 and the MEGR-298 the direction of the vent? And then there is the question of the high capacity versions (with H appended to model number) or not.

Tags
propane, scamp