73' love bug Tri Fab - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2019, 10:15 AM   #1

Name: Brandy
Trailer: 73' love bug tri fab
IA
73' love bug Tri Fab

Hello everyone! I bought my 10' love bug a few months ago. It was a barn find. I am in Iowa by the Omaha neb boarder. I have been working on my bug off and on as time permits. This was LOADED with trash and creature poop. I had to use a shovel to get in there. A few things to mention - ask
1. How did you title your love bug? Im told there was no titles given for these and didn't have road registered. I've called the court house and really stumped them on this and how to register it. After talking to 3 people in chain of command at court house they said do a bonded title. I want to register it as a "custom trailer" as I won't be using it as a camper.
2. As I'm trying to save this bug, im sad to say I'm not redoing it to orinigal, its just not in the funds and wouldn't fit my family even if I did. I will be making into a custom trailer for my funky junky things I sell. So that said... If anyone is fixing up theirs to orinigal and you need some fiber glass booths or toppers pads , I have been able to salvage some. I know redoing these kinda of things really add up in money wise and some items are hard to find, so let me know what you need if you have a 73' love bug tri- fab.
Funky junky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 08:04 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Not sure how it works in the US but here in ont Canada I have restored many trailers with no title or no way to get any info on them .i will just claim it as a home built and receive a home built title it does hurt the value but in your case it does not seem to matter.
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 08:38 PM   #3

IA
Thanks for the reply. I asked if I could do a home built trailer , courthouse said only if I cut top off and made it "open". I said no way ill do that. I'm going to try to get the "home built trailer - aka custom trailer by taking it to a dot approved weight station, some gas stations and feed stores (farm country) have scales in my area and will turn a blind eye to type of trailer I am weighing. So I'm hoping I can get a weigh scale stub then turn it in to courthouse and get it registered. Otherwise if that doesn't work ill go and get a bonded title with the rv registration (more expensive then reg trailer).
Old 07-08-2019, 10:37 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Looks like we need a sticky here on how to register potentially stolen trailers and evade the law.
Old 07-09-2019, 05:30 AM   #5

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
" Im told there was no titles given for these and didn't have road registered. "

This is nonsense. New trailers come with a certificate of origin and a receipt. Owner takes these to the tag office and gets a title and registration.

Now some states do not require license plates on trailers, SC for example. So in one of those states, an owner might not bother getting a title. Even then, when the owner moves to another state that requires license plates, down to the tag office you go in that new state. This happened to me when I moved from SC to NC. None of my trailers had titles in SC, I never filed for them. When I moved to NC, I took my documents down to the tag office, filed for titles, registration, and plates.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 05:35 AM   #6

IA
Glenn I do understand your point of view. Honestly. Its a trailer registry I want. But your right I should follow the law and ill go with a bonded title. Thank you
Old 07-09-2019, 05:39 AM   #7

IA
In the 70s, Iowa did not have registration for any trailer under 2000lbs. I asked the courthouse. So this has never been registered
Old 07-09-2019, 08:22 AM   #8

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky junky View Post
In the 70s, Iowa did not have registration for any trailer under 2000lbs. I asked the courthouse. So this has never been registered

Did the 2000 Lb limit change? If so, you should be asking what the process was for registering a previously unregistered trailer. New rules / regulations typically come with a grandfather clause.

FWIW, my boler American, the precursor to the Love Bug was originally registered in New York. Your Love Bug was made in Tripoli Iowa, contacting a court house in that area might give you a better response.

Other options are to get it titled in Michigan or Nevada where it is easier, then transfer it over to Iowa.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 09:11 AM   #9

IA
The courthouse didn't know what to do. I talked to 3 different people. Finally the guy decided I could do a "custom trailer" then changed his mind and said do a bonded title because it technically is a Rv, even though its not being used as one. The people at the courthouse really don't know what to do and I felt like they are just making it up as they go. I've done the research and seen the no registration for under 2k in iowa , but nothing is clear cut. I did read another forum on here from 2002 in "money matters" section about this issue, and it had a good point to title it because if I cross into another state that requires title I could get in trouble. So ill just go through the bonded title chaos.
Old 07-09-2019, 09:22 AM   #10

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky junky View Post
if I cross into another state that requires title I could get in trouble. So ill just go through the bonded title chaos.
Make believe problem IMHO. I’ve taken my SC trailers to all the lower 48 and Alaska, many border crossings. The officials at the border stuttered a bit, asking where my trailer plate was. I just answered I’m from SC, no trailer plate required. No problem.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 09:34 AM   #11

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
A bonded title is a simple process and you will receive an original title with proper ownership rights and no problems when you register it or sell it.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 10:36 AM   #12

IA
Floyd, thank you. All I hear is horror stories. But I willing to do what's right
Old 07-09-2019, 11:08 AM   #13

I find it interesting that when someone has their trailer stolen, it's posted on all the trailer forums with admonitions to keep an eye out and to pass along the information. People then respond with, "if I caught the guy, I'd ... " Posters are irate.

And, then we have other threads trying legitimize a trailer purchased with no title, no tag, no history.
Old 07-09-2019, 11:28 AM   #14

IA
Glenn I know for a fact mine isn't stolen. Its a one owner ( then pasted down), its been in a barn for years. Its the issue that this has never been registered, and I need to go through a bonded title like it could be a "stolen trailer" with that in mind since I haven't found any proof of a title ever given or that the government has never had any sort of interaction with this. I wonder how someone could even claim a older love bug like this without proof of purchase. Which mine was probably eaten by the 3k animals living in it for years.
Old 07-09-2019, 11:34 AM   #15

Mine was just a general observation.
Old 07-09-2019, 11:42 AM   #16

IA
I understood that. I just wanted to explain my situation
Old 07-09-2019, 03:23 PM   #17

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I find it interesting that when someone has their trailer stolen, it's posted on all the trailer forums with admonitions to keep an eye out and to pass along the information. People then respond with, "if I caught the guy, I'd ... " Posters are irate.

And, then we have other threads trying legitimize a trailer purchased with no title, no tag, no history.
Are you aware of how many states do not issue titles on trailers below a certain size?
Or even cars above a certain age.

Many times a Bill of Sale with an affidavit is all that is required or available.
A bonded title protects everyone involved.

Do you know how many bicycles are stolen every year?
All the good ones have serial numbers on the frame, but they are not registered.
I really do believe that an interview with the seller is almost always revealing.
When in doubt Take a hike.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 04:25 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Are you aware of how many states do not issue titles on trailers below a certain size?
Or even cars above a certain age.

What astounds me is the number of people in the US driving without insurance, or a driver license.
Old 07-09-2019, 04:33 PM   #19
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Quote:

Glen what would be your solution to titleing a 40-50 year old trailer that has been sitting in a barn or field or wherever with no hope of getting any serial no or any info of any kind to legally title it .it is a lot more common than you think! The Op was referring to just that and not a newer trailer with easily traceable serial no or easily readable placards. Many older trailers only came with a sticker on the inside closet door or similar and due to alterations over the year have been lost or unreadable. Maybe they should sit were they are and rot away except fg will take a long time.
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 04:34 PM   #20

IA
Quote:
What astounds me is the number of people in the US driving without insurance, or a driver license.
Yes! I agree.

Tags
love bug