Clarification needed: Weight of a Fiberstream - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-06-2007, 10:09 PM   #1

Trailer: 1972 Compact Jr
I do not know if a consensus is possible. In obtaining some information one person told me that a Fiberstream weighed 1600 lbs. in another message someone said a Fiberstream weighed 2900 lbs. Any consensus about the weight of a Fiberstream. My present tow vehicle has 2000 lb limit.
Kent I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 10:18 PM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft 1982
Send a message via Yahoo to Benita
The manufacturer's badge on the Fiber Stream says 1,725 pounds. My trailer weighs 2,200 pounds minimally packed. ALL trailer mftr weights are dry weights with no options. The furnace, awning, water and etc have weight. Few units come in at or under the manufacturer's weight.

If you do an archive search you will see that our weights and measures man, Frederick, has posted the weights of his Fiber Stream with different configurations.
Benita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 10:25 PM   #3

Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft 1982
Send a message via Yahoo to Benita
IMO, you will be at the max of your tow rating with a Fiber Stream. That means there is no buffer in your safety margin. You can do it if your trailer does not have weighty after market mods, you pack light and dry and you drive cautiously. The maximum speed limit and the speed at which you may safely tow your trailer often do not correlate. If you are lead footed and always have to get every where fast, look for a smaller, lighter unit.
Benita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 09:27 PM   #4

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
in another message someone said a Fiberstream weighed 2900 lbs.
My Fiber Stream, FULLY LOADED and ready to camp weighs 2900 pounds WITHOUT water (except for the 6 gallons inside the water heater) or food. I keep it packed at all times, because frankly, I have a LOT of "stuff" to make my travelling experience a comfortable one.

My sales brochure claimed:
Quote:
  • Total weight is 1700 lbs., total length 16 ft., total height 92".
  • Tongue weight is 140 lbs. dry.

After reading earlier posts here about how the more vintage trailers often exceeded the sales claims for weight, I unpacked and unloaded everything from my trailer and took it to a local truck scale for weigh-in. I even off-loaded both propane tanks, the group 27 battery, AND the spare tire, and drained all tanks and the water heater. The only "option" left on the trailer was the Carefree Fiesta Awning. I also left the cushions inside, but everything else that was not somehow attached was removed. The scales read 2000 pounds [b]Total weight. I unhitched, and parked the trailer on the scale. At that time, I did not take separate axle or tongue weights.

Tags
fiberstream, weighing, weight