Fiber Stream - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2008, 08:02 PM   #1

Trailer: 1984 Fiber Stream
Send a message via Yahoo to Tom Bernardino
Just got the fiberstream today! I started cleaning the inside of it and first thing to go was the carpet! There are some dry rot near the door up to the front of the fridge. I know there's a lot of thread that i can probably read but wanted to get your toughts about it. I haven't poked my screw driver into it but i can still walk over it. Can i just peel it of and probably lay some plywood on top of it? That's the first thing that i wanted take care of. I will post some pics of it soon so everyone will have an idea what i'm talking about.
Tom Bernardino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 09:26 PM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Unhappy

Quote:
I started cleaning the inside of it and first thing to go was the carpet! There are some dry rot near the door up to the front of the fridge.

I haven't poked my screw driver into it [b]but i can still walk over it.
This has been a common finding in Fiber Streams, from what I have read. I know that the probability is high that I have rot there, but I have been reluctant to investigate it. As long as it does not feel like the floor in eminent danger of collapse, I will live with it, carpet and all. I have steam-cleaned my carpet (Removing a ton of sand), let it dry out, and laid a clear plastic runner over it.
Old 10-06-2008, 12:24 PM   #3

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1982 16 ft
Registry
Tom;

Have a look here, it'w what I did to my Fiber Stream so far:

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/551123968ABqdPX

I would check where the water got in. In my case, it was a combination of holey tin flashing underneath, and a very poor seal at the back of the wheelwell on the door side. You'll see I removed the flashing underneath and fully undercoated the trailer. Inside, I replaced the floor holddown bolts that i could reach, and then fiberglassed, with cloth, the entire floor. It strengthened the 5/8" floor significantly.

Vic
Victor Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 12:41 PM   #4

Trailer: 86 Fiber Stream
I just recently completed the floor repair in front of the door of my Fiber Stream. It was quite an involved process. The floor was bad from the front of the refrigerator and inside the door all the way into the closet. It involves taking out the cabinet with drawers on the side of the refrigerator and taking out the front of the closet. It is easier if you take the closet door off separately.

It is then necessary to cut the fiberglass around the outside to free up the floor. Cut this as close to the bottom of the floor as you can to make it easier to replace new fiberglass. I cut the floor half way over the 1 x 3 frame being careful not to cut into the aluminum sheet underneath the plywood. When I got it all cleaned out I replaced the section with 1/2 inch plywood and installed fiberglass at the door and into the closet.

I suspect the water gets in around the wheel well cover since it is on top of the floor with a 1/2 inch plywood spacer between the it and the floor and then it has another 3/4 inch on top of the lip of the wheel well cover. I will see if I can attach a couple of pictures one before and the other after it was all cleaned out. I did not take a picture of the finished project.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010003.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	16138
Attached Thumbnails
P1010005.JPG  
Dwight Pyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 07:15 PM   #5

It rained today and that gave me the opportunity to see where the leak was coming from. The first obvious source is the door. The bottom left corner (when entering the door) is cracked and the water seeps in on that area. I also started taking out the wood rot and its not as bad as i thought because the extent of the damage is up to 2 ft from the door up to a portion inside the closet. There are some wood rot also under the closet under the fridge and as i took out the wood it looks like it's coming from the wheel well. That's where i stopped, so that's what is scheduled this coming weekend. And in my eagerness to get into it i forgot to take pictures again. : ( I'll keep updating my progress
Old 10-08-2008, 09:34 PM   #6

Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft 1982
Send a message via Yahoo to Benita
Tom,

Check your board messages. There is a link at the top of the web page.

Benita
Benita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 06:12 PM   #7

Here are some pics of the work i've done so far.

Name:	DSC01308.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	144.5 KB
ID:	16189
Attached Thumbnails
DSC01307.JPG  
Old 10-09-2008, 06:18 PM   #8

Pics of the trailer outside:

Name:	DSC01301.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	16191

Attached Thumbnails
DSC01303.JPG  
Old 10-12-2008, 05:59 PM   #9

This will be last post on regarding this thread. I will open a new post regarding my updates on my fiberstream at the other section.

Tags
fiber stream