1981 Burro Upgrades - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2015, 04:54 PM   #1

Name: Jessica
Trailer: Burro
Sacramento, CA
1981 Burro Upgrades

Hello I purchased my first 1981 Burro Trailer a couple of weeks ago and I want to do a little work on it. Since it’s my first time owning a trailer I was wondering if some of you can recommend places where I can find the products that I am looking for. Thank you in advance

1. I would like to purchase or replace the windows. The ones they have are fine, but I would like them tinted. Do I just replace the plexi glass?
2. Would like to find new 13’ white wall tires with baby moon hubcaps
3. Find a new Dinette table
4. Add a refrigerator, what kind should I purchase? Propane?
and
5. I want a cute new awning?

Can someone help please

Thank you,
Jessica
megavega99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 08:23 AM   #2

Name: Zac & Cathy
Trailer: Burro & 2006 21ft. BigFoot
California
Registry
Hi Jessica, We have a 1999 burro and when we first bought it, it had a crack in the back plexi window. We just took it down to our local window repair store they took out the window messeured it then put it back in and then a week later installed the new tinted glass window. Had it done in about 15 minutes. We are going to replace all our windows a little at a time. It's our opinion that the glass is more insulated. It's tempered safety auto glass.
Avey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 03:23 PM   #3

Name: mike
Trailer: burro
Alabama
awning

shademaker,have one on our 1983 13ft burro.love it,so easy to set up.for your dinnet table,make your own and save money and get what you want.
mikeyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 10:44 AM   #4

Name: Rick
Massachusetts
Hi Jessica,

For replacement windows go to your local glass shop. They can easily replace the plexiglass (acrylic) windows with ones custom cut to fit your frames.

You should search online for a fridge, after measuring your space. Dometic made the original ones for the Burros. I believe that the one for the Burro 13 was Dometic 2111. Which is a 1.9 Cu ft. 3 way. It is no longer made but several models will fit into the space that you have. But your first decision is how to power the fridge. The most popular are 2 way, which can be run from 110V AC (called "shore power") or from propane. The propane is important when you do not have an electrical hookup. These fridges from a RV shop will cost you $900, but you can look for used ones. Your carpenter/mechanic "friend" can put it in for you.

Tires are best found at your local tire shop. 13" is not common but is still available.

Hubcaps you can find from "Mike's Hubcaps" find him on the web. This will require you to measure the distance between the cap nubs on the wheels, but they tell you how to do this. I have Mike's baby moons on my Burro.

Rick
rick.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 10:50 AM   #5

Name: Rick
Massachusetts
More stuff...

The dinette table you (or your carpenter friend) will need to make from plywood and this is relatively easy.

There are a few choices for awnings for this small trailer. I would use a "bag awning" as it slides into a channel that can follow the curves of your roofline. It removes completely but the Burro looks MUCH better with this than with a fixed, hard shell awning that sits rolled up on top of your roof and makes the Burro look like a pole vaulter. If you are handy, you can buy the track for a bag awning and make the awing yourself, or have your sail maker friend make one for you.

You will do well since you have so many handy friends.

Rick
rick.a is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burro