Fantastic Fan Install On Curved Burro Roof - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2015, 10:05 PM   #1

Name: Tom
Trailer: Burro
Colorado
Fantastic Fan Install On Curved Burro Roof

Hello all,

I just purchased a 1984 ten foot Burro and am making some upgrades. The first of which is getting a fantastic fan in there. It has the standard 14x14 hole. I've heard of people having issues with the curved roofs. The curve is slight but does this mean I have to build some sort of curved shim to get the fan to seat properly? I did here that the plastic mounting frame will bend some? Will it bend enough to meet the curve of the Burro's roof? Will I be in danger of cracking or distorting the fan housing? If anyone has had any luck with this please let me know. I would prefer not to fabricate a custom shim. Would love to hear your experiences!

Thanks,
Tom
Tommy Gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 11:29 PM   #2

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
I had replace our 13' Scamps' roof vent with fan, with a Fantastic Fan (wish I had went with a MaxxAir Fan), and it had a "shim platform" to mount it to. I would suggest making a template out of styrofoam, or modeling clay, then out of wood or fiberglass right over the clay.
Keep us posted.................and send pictures.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 12:04 AM   #3

Colorado
why do you prefer max air over fantastic? would it fit my curve better? I was about to pick up a fantastic fan 1250 but it did not say anything about a curved shim on the box ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-09-2015, 09:17 AM   #4

Name: Crystal
Trailer: 1982 Burro
California
I replaced my 1982 Burro's vent with a Fantastic Fan. We had to build a wood shim for it to fit properly. Looks great and well worth it! Good luck!
SUNnLUNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 10:15 AM   #5

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Gun View Post
why do you prefer max air over fantastic? would it fit my curve better? I was about to pick up a fantastic fan 1250 but it did not say anything about a curved shim on the box ?

I suspect the difference has nothing to do with mounting issues. The Maxxfan can be operated in the rain, where the Fantastic fan can't.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 10:29 AM   #6

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Gun View Post

The MaxxFan has 10 speeds forward and 10 reverse... runs much slower and draws less amps at lower speeds, is quieter at lower speeds also. The MaxxFan can be left open during rain, has two lid supports instead of only one, so the lid is much more stable in the wind. The cost for either basic model was within $25.00 of each other, depending on where you purchase it. The base does not lend itself to mount to a curved surface any better than the Fantastic fan does.

Dave and Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 10:51 AM   #7

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
It should be noted that paying more then $10 for speed control is not necessary:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tor-64815.html
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 06:55 PM   #8

Colorado
thank you everyone I'll let you know how it goes

Tags
burro