Should I buy this Trillium? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2015, 12:18 PM   #1

Name: Naomi
Trailer: Trillium
British Columbia
Should I buy this Trillium?

Hey all you Fiberglass Egg experts!

I'm new and have been looking for a Boler to completely redo inside and out as a fun project. I'm an artist and I have some fun ideas.

My parents were at a garage sale last weekend and the house next door had what looked to be a Boler in the garage. The owners weren't home so my dad and I went by there again the other night. Turns out it was a 1975 Trillium. I asked him if he was interested in selling it and he said yes. It's far from showroom quality but that's okay. I wanted to put my own stamp on it.
He said he bought it from his buddy for $600 and wants to get that out of it.

What do you guys think? Any advice for me? As I said I'm totally new to these types of trailers. Maybe I don't know what I'm getting myself into but for $600 I thought it could be a fun project!

Thanks for your thoughts,
~Naomi
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_9280.JPG   IMG_9281.JPG  

IMG_9282.JPG   IMG_9283.JPG  

IMG_9285.JPG  
superartgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 12:26 PM   #2
wel

Name: Wendy
Ontario
Registry
I just paid 4500 for a 75 ... if you are a do-it-yourselfer, i'd be going for it!
wel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 12:33 PM   #3

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
If there aint no gaping holes in it and it is towable then $600 aint nothing when it comes to one of these.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 12:39 PM   #4

Name: Rich & Linda
Trailer: Amerigo
Indiana
buy it i would
MRClaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 01:16 PM   #5

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Absolutely. I've seen Trilliums in even worse shape go for 4 times as much. Restore it and you'll have a superb trailer on the cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 05-31-2015, 02:13 PM   #6

Name: Rob
Trailer: New 1973 Compact II
California
Recommend stabbing at the worst looking spots on the rusty frame with a screwdriver. If you can make a hole through it, be good to know before you buy. Looks like could have crevice corrosion problems.
Rob V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 02:23 PM   #7

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
I don't think I've ever seen a Trillium for $600 buy it! You can google removing the belly band on a Trillium here as you are already part way there
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 03:55 PM   #8

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
I would sure buy it,and I don't know much about rebuilding,I do know I can learn and I do know that is a great price.
Then I would Glamp it up and it would be small enough and light weight enough that i could pull it myself ( even though my kids say i am to old)and go off by myself anytime I wanted to.
Lynn Musgrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 04:00 PM   #9

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob V View Post
Recommend stabbing at the worst looking spots on the rusty frame with a screwdriver. If you can make a hole through it, be good to know before you buy. Looks like could have crevice corrosion problems.
What can a person do about it if it has that Rob?
Does it mean a whole new frame?
I'm not too scared if it does need one, I think I can have one made locally and would likely go aluminium to make it lighter.
Old 05-31-2015, 04:02 PM   #10

British Columbia
Thanks!!

Thanks for weighing in you guys! Glad to hear the positive replies!
Now I just need to convince the hubby that we could use another fun project
Old 05-31-2015, 04:04 PM   #11

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Musgrave View Post
I would sure buy it,and I don't know much about rebuilding,I do know I can learn and I do know that is a great price.
Then I would Glamp it up and it would be small enough and light weight enough that i could pull it myself ( even though my kids say i am to old)and go off by myself anytime I wanted to.
Never too old to do anything that you love and that interests you Lynn!
Old 05-31-2015, 05:01 PM   #12

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by superartgirl View Post
What can a person do about it if it has that Rob?

Does it mean a whole new frame?

I'm not too scared if it does need one, I think I can have one made locally and would likely go aluminium to make it lighter.

A full frame off restoration is the way to go with something in this shape, if you want a high quality product at the end. So since you'd be taking it off the frame, that makes it easy to either repair the frame or weld up a new one.

Old 05-31-2015, 05:13 PM   #13

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
I would grab it in a minute
Even if it needs a full body off restoration ( which you can't tell from the pics )
It looks like a great project
I say go for it

alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 06:21 PM   #14

Name: Kenji
Trailer: Scamp
Arizona
Registry
Buy that thing as fast as you can. You could list it for double and have it sold the next day even if the hubby doesn't want to mess with it.
KenjiFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 09:46 AM   #15

Name: Claire
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
British Columbia
Registry
Naomi, Buy it!!
We paid $6000 for ours and have since put in over $2000. (we had unpleasant surprises). See what a good deal you are getting. Nothing is hidden, you know what you are getting into. Can't remember where you are in BC, but if you do not want it, please let me know as there are a couple guys on the Island who are looking for such a deal as a project.
Old 06-01-2015, 10:28 AM   #16

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Umm..... Wow, I can't beleive that I am going to be the voice of sober second thought. Not a role I am used to.

That is a very good price, but not an insignificant amount of money. The only time I have seen a gaucho with hatches like that, the trailer had a bad problem with the front curb side sagging. This was most obvious when someone stood on the tongue and sighted down the flat part of the roof on the curb side. The closet was clearly a high point. Another way to check for this is to take a straight edge, (a 4 foot long 2x4 would work) lay it on the floor, from in front of the fridge to the trailer door. this would show if the floor is flat, (good) or droops toward the door, (bad).

That said, it is not likely that you would loose money on this. I would pay $100 for the furnace, if it works. The windows are worth about $100 each. The rock guard would be worth about $200. The door, fridge, frame, ..... you get the idea. But do you want to be in the parts business?
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 12:53 PM   #17

British Columbia
I'm all about the voice of reason too David! I definitely do not want to go into the parts business, i want to make this little guy beautiful inside and out. Thank you for letting me know about the curb side sagging, I will check that out!
Old 06-06-2015, 09:34 AM   #18

British Columbia
Well I bought it yesterday!

I drove down the guy's driveway and I didn't see it in the garage - panic set in! I thought ohhhh no I'm too late. Someone else found it and made it theirs. Then I got a little closer and noticed it was just parked around by the other garage. WHEW! I knew for sure with that reaction that it had to be mine. I was attached.

I got it for $600. I towed it to my parents house and it actually towed really well. The trim that was partially removed had to be tied together. He gave me some laminate flooring for it but I don't want it. And threw in some foam too but that went straight to the garbage.

One thing he didn't give me was a key to the door. I called him later to see if he had one and it doesn't sounds like he does. So I don't know if I can just get a locksmith guy to replace the cylinder in the lock or what. Lots to figure out!
We definitely don't want the heater in it so will start by taking that and the fridge out. They both look in rather rough shape. I think once we have those bits out we will be taking it off the frame to check the frame out and either clean it up or price out a new aluminum one.

Excited to make this little guy amazing!
Old 06-06-2015, 09:48 AM   #19

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Thats wonderful that you got it, now we need more pics!

I would say pause before taking anything out. If you end up deciding to sell it at some point many people are looking for a trailer with a furnace and fridge. Maybe start by plugging the fridge in (make sure the trailer is level) and see what happens. Things can be cleaned up pretty good,and the front panel on the fridge can be changed out.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 10:30 AM   #20

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
I agree on the frig
Plug it in overnite these take awhile to cool down... If it has a freezer (put a small cup of water in it and see if it freezes)
If it does then you will at least know it works .... If it is a 3 way frig make sure it is set on 110 v.... A frig can be fairly expensive so I would wait on pulling it out immediately
Just my 2 cents worth
Then make it safe repack bearings/ tires and go camping

alan H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium