Trillium Window Opening - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2015, 12:55 PM   #1

Name: Randy J.
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
Lightbulb Trillium Window Opening

This is the second time I've encountered this flaw in our old Tril and so suspect that it may be common to many. There have been numerous posts about leaking Trillium windows and how to rebuild the frame and reseal them, so I won't repeat that information here. But two years ago when I did the rear window, I discovered that the original window screws on the left side had missed the fibreglass all together. It appears to have been cut too big! The screw holes on the other three sides were a good quarter of an inch onto the glass, pinching it well to the wood. And guess what? The side with no screw holes was the side that had always leaked. This year I did the front and it was the same story. In both cases I improved the seal by first adding about 5/8 of an inch of new fibreglass to the bad side, making the opening smaller. That made it a little tricky getting the window back in but the screws now pinch fibreglass to plywood all 'round as they should. This doesn't take a lot of skill as, if you are careful, the lip of the window will cover your work. Just be sure the finished surface is straight with the body and "pretty smooth" so the butyl can do its job. Oh, and the good news: neither window now leaks!
Randy J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 01:07 PM   #2

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I have seen the same thing, but no leaks.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 03:40 PM   #3

Name: Randy J.
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
That's good. Mine might have been fine with just a re-seal as well but I figured since I'd already gone to the effort of removing the window and cleaning it up, why not make things nice and snug!
Randy J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 09:18 AM   #4

Name: Hughe
Trailer: Trillium 76
British Columbia
I just removed my side window last week & was shocked to find the exact same thing. My only difference was the Fiberglass was completely missed on the bottom. I think I'll build it up like you did & reinstall. Did you remove & replace the rubber seals on your jalouise windows? If so where did you find new ones. I'm having a tough time around here.
hrose414 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium