1976 13' Scamp Refreshed Frame - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2015, 08:01 AM   #1

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
1976 13' Scamp Refreshed Frame

We have our refreshed frame back from the paint shop! We needed to replace the old axle, used a Dexter #9 and changed from leading arm to trailing arm and added electric brakes. This brought the axle under the dance floor, giving us more clearance.

The frame was sandblasted and then powder coated. The coupler was replaced with a new 2" and the jack was replaced. We also added some additional support for the dance floor, added a cross section between the rear bumper and old axle location. We also added angle iron tabs to bolt the shell to the frame instead of attaching with screws.

Now for the fun part, reattaching the shell to the frame...Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1430488835.902236.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	190.2 KB
ID:	83373Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1430488854.350708.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	198.5 KB
ID:	83374Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1430488871.052517.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	275.1 KB
ID:	83375Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1430488886.967036.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	211.2 KB
ID:	83376

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
bobkatr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 07:24 PM   #2

Name: Bill
Trailer: Had Scamp 13'.
Oklahoma
Registry
Wow! Your "new" frame and axle looks so nice!

I'm turning green with envy!

Bill
Bill Nolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 08:30 PM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: scamp
Maryland
I'm impressed
looksplent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 08:40 PM   #4

Name: Tony
Trailer: Scamp - "The Haunted Mansion" (13') and TBD (16')
Colorado
Registry
Looks great!
Sohkraites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 02:38 PM   #5

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Scamp
Idaho
Dang. That's mighty fine.
CBinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 08:05 AM   #6

Name: JD
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Nebraska
This looks great. I would like to do the same axle swap as you. I would like to go from leading arm to trailing arm and move the axle under the kitchen floor. What down angle did you spec? Bracket type? Any special work necessary to move the axle under?
JD Eben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 08:14 AM   #7
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Eben View Post
What down angle did you spec? Bracket type?
I have calculated the ground clearance at various suspension angles and with both the low profile and high profile brackets. You will find the Ground Clearance table about 3/4 of the way down the page Boler Rubber Torsion Axle
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 11:04 AM   #8

Name: JD
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Nebraska
After more investigation the last and big question for me is leading arm vs. trailing arm axle. I know there are other threads on this topic but the issue still poses a dilemma for me. Using a leading arm requires going against "modern" rules for trailers and requires reversing a trailing arm axle and brakes, etc....no warranty and getting a commercial welder to agree to do it.

While installing a trailing arm axle requires relocating it under the drop floor. The drop floor framing is not structural as is is hung from the frame and is only intended to support the flooring and cargo. Can't really attach to that - spoke to the factory. However, I'm inclined to find a trailing arm solution. If anyone has details on how to retrofit a trailing arm axle and mount it to the frame that would be really helpful.
JD Eben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 12:30 PM   #9

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Looks real good. When separating the old floor from the frame did you strip down to the bare floor and unscrew all the screws or did you cut the screws in some way? Did you separate the shell from the old floor and just hack the old floor to get it off the frame? I am guessing there are allot of screws under the fiberglass tabbing where they bond the shell to the floor. I'll bet welding up and grinding all those screw holes wasn't fun.

I'd sure like to see some close up pictures where the new axle ties up to the frame. Did you use welded on mounts that bolt the axle to the frame so replacement would be easier next time?
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 01:09 PM   #10
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Eben View Post
After more investigation the last and big question for me is leading arm vs. trailing arm axle. I know there are other threads on this topic but the issue still poses a dilemma for me. Using a leading arm requires going against "modern" rules for trailers and requires reversing a trailing arm axle and brakes, etc....no warranty and getting a commercial welder to agree to do it.

While installing a trailing arm axle requires relocating it under the drop floor. The drop floor framing is not structural as is is hung from the frame and is only intended to support the flooring and cargo. Can't really attach to that - spoke to the factory. However, I'm inclined to find a trailing arm solution. If anyone has details on how to retrofit a trailing arm axle and mount it to the frame that would be really helpful.
The axle, no matter what orientation (leading or trailing) is connected to the frame side rails, there is no connection to the floor. The axle tube mearly passes under the kitchen floor. The axle needs to be spaced down with adequate structure below the side frame rails so the centre axle tube clears the floor.
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 07:57 PM   #11

Name: Jacob
Trailer: Scamp
Michigan
Ian G., Forgive my ignorance on the axle issue. I'm a new Scamp 13 owner in need of an axle. I was hoping to go with a trailing arm. Will I need to move to axle to do that? And if so, do I move if far enough that it will alter the balance of the trailer. Any advice or direction is appreciated. Thanks.
FlintBound is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp