Boler Brakes do I need controller - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2015, 06:26 PM   #1

Name: Bill
Trailer: Boler
Washington
Boler Brakes do I need controller

Discovered my 1980 Boler has trailer brakes. My tow vehicle is a 96 Ford Ranger 4.0 4wd Automatic. Few real steep hills here in the Wheat country of SE Washington state, but we will venture out more once we settle in to the Boler.

Do I need to get a brake controller installed, Mechanic thought pickup wise I'd be alright without controller, but he also thought I could be liable if the trailer had brakes and something was to happen(accident ) and I didn't have them hooked up.
immrbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 06:46 PM   #2

Name: Harvey
Trailer: '84 Scamp 13' & 2001 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe
Arkansas
You cannot properly activate your trailer brakes without a correctly wired & set up brake controller. If you apply power to the electric brakes of your Boler without using a controller the brakes will simply 'lock up' or at least apply maximum braking power they're capable of, continuously until the power is interrupted, you blow a fuse, or a wire gets too hot.

There are several good brake controllers at reasonable prices. I personally prefer the Tekonsha Prodigy series (Prodigy, P-2, or P-3). Not sure if your Ranger is already 'wired' for a brake controller. If it has a factory tow package chances are it is already wired for a brake controller. If not, it is a relatively simple matter to trace the necessary circuits & connect to them. If your truck is already wired for a controller, when you order the controller you can probably order a 'pigtail' made especially to connect your vehicle to the controller you select.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 06:47 PM   #3

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Yes you do, get a Prodigy P2. Your Ranger does not have the plug & play wiring under the dash, 2011 was the only year. Wiring it in is easy. Go to Etrailer and watch a video for the install on your truck. BTW, as long as your trailer already has brakes it's a no brainer not to use them.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 07:03 PM   #4

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
You don't want to come off of Snoqualmie Pass in the rain without trailer brakes. I did once, never again. Trailer brakes are for more than stopping, they will also save your bacon if you get excessive sway. If ya got em' use em'

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 07:27 PM   #5

Name: Bill
Trailer: Boler
Washington
Thanks all I'll get on it. My Ranger has the tow package and I wasn't familiar with a trailer with brakes.
immrbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 08:47 AM   #6

Name: Joe
Trailer: 1973 13' Boler
Ontario
If you have a trailer package on your truck and the trailer is already wired, it's as easy as buying the controller and plugging it in.
Don't cheap out and get a timed delay controller, make sure it's a proportional controller. You'll be glad you got it.
Keaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 08:48 AM   #7

Name: Joe
Trailer: 1973 13' Boler
Ontario
If you have a trailer package on your truck and the trailer is already wired, it's as easy as splicing in your controller.. easy task.
Don't cheap out and get a timed delay controller, make sure it's a proportional controller. You'll be glad you got it.
Keaner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler, brakes