rewiring questions - 13' Burro - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2014, 06:58 PM   #1

Name: bill
Trailer: Burro
Tennessee
rewiring questions - 13' Burro

Hello,

It's been awhile since I've been here. I use my "Tennessee Taj Mahal" monthly ( Nashville Flea Market...come see me). Last weekend I had an electric problem/emergency and some of the wiring got fried. I have decided to re-wire the whole camper, more or less. I probably will not do the trailer wiring (brake lights, turns, etc.) since it was not damaged. I have a few questions before I get started. I do mainly 110 hook-up camping, but definitely want the capability to boondock for a few days.

The camper has a PD9130 Converter/charger, 2 Trojan batteries, 4- 12v lights (2 inside, 2 outside), 2-12v outlets, 1 120 outlet, fridge, furnace, fan. Currently all 12v is bundled into main battery wire from PD9130 about a foot from the battery.

Would I be better off installing a 12v fuse box near the converter, and running just 2 sets of 2 wires to the battery positive and negative posts (main and one wire from the 12v box)? I also will be adding a battery switch to kill the battery (would have probably saved me a lot of grief adn damage if I had one this past weekend). Where should it go?

Also, I want to add a car radio. Is that going to be an issue? I guess it needs to be on a separate circuit? There is a spot in the top of the closet where the ceiling slopes, just perfect for a car radio.

I also am wondering about how many 12v circuits I need and what should and should not be together. Each inside 12v light is next to a 12v outlet in the overhead cabinet. Can all 4 go on one circuit or should they be split in to 2 circuits? I'll probaby split the outside lights so a blown fuse will not take out both. I also plan to upgrade the bulbs to LED and I really like some of the LED rope lighting and might want to install some of that down the road.

Should the furnace be on a separate circuit? fridge? Fan?

Thanks in advance. I love my little Burro and am looking forward to getting this squared away and learning a little more about it as I go. I will have a retired electrician friend helping me so I am not totally going it alone, but do need some initial guidance.

Also, the fridge is the original Dometic and works iffy at best...not at all on LP or 12v and not very good on 110. I think I want to go with just a 12v/110. Any suggestions as to models and what to look for? I'll have to wait for more funds to change out the fridge, but want to prepare for a new fridge with the new wiring. DO I need to change any of the fridge wiring?

One last question. I read a LOT about Battery Minders. I added a Charge Wizard to the converter/charger. Will that alleviate the need for a Battery minder? And if not, which Battery Minder do y'all recommend?

Any and all guidance is appreciated.
billhenry58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burro