Scamp Table - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-22-2012, 06:46 AM   #21

Name: David
Trailer: Escape Trailers
Massachusetts
Ron and Norm,

Thanks for sharing your table upgrades. Both look like big improvements over the factory table. Ron's drawer slides do look like the way to go. The sleeved leg makes sense as well. We're about to set out on a six-week trip to the TX coast and I'm going to try copying your ideas before we leave. I'll try making the table longer as I don't like the way the cushion caves in when get on and off in the bed position. If that doesn't work for us, I can cut a little off of both sections to get back to the 42".

Keep sharing those great ideas,

David
Stretcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 07:37 AM   #22

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Ron, I agree with you. Your solution is substantially stiffer. The reason we did not put ours in that direction was that they would hang down lower and since we rarely extend the table we choose the flat location.

The folded table is a true improvement on many levels. In our previous trailer we simply had a 1/2 table and it met our needs.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:24 AM   #23

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Norm, Just out of curiosity, the drop down of the slides Im guessing are an inch or so, is the table height low enough that that would be a problem? Im still shopping (have my eye on 1 I really like) but I do like the idea that if I fixed the bed into the dinette the short table would make the cabin seem larger, that and I am now playing a mountain dulcimer and need the extra room.

thanks

deryk
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 12:21 PM   #24

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Deryk,
My concern dealt with knees. I never tested it and it's probably not an issue.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 05:11 PM   #25

Trailer: 89 Scamp 16 ft
Registry
I absolutely love tis idea! Norm, how long are each of your sections? We need the table to be longer than stock for a wider bed and I might as well keep the support leg stock. And to all of you, is 1/2 inch plywood the best, strongest, lightest thing to use?
Steve and Rosemary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 05:28 PM   #26

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
My Trillium came from the factory with a center table leaf, without which the table is about half size.

I actually sawed the leaf in half again so I have a choice of three table lengths...

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:54 PM   #27

Registry
Francesca, that sounds like a good idea too. I'll have to try to find one. Do you have any pictures handy? What do you do with the leaf when not in use? Thanks for the ideas; I can't wait to get started!
Old 01-03-2013, 01:30 PM   #28

Registry
When they're not in use, I stow the two leaves behind the dinette back cushions, although there's a place "designed" for the original single leaf on the back wall of the closet. Can't put 'em there since I converted the closet to a shelved pantry!

I don't have any pics of my own table, but here's a link to a thread with some pics that another member took. His table isn't sectioned like mine, but it does show the extending arms mounted to the table underside...those are what makes the table work in different lengths.
See post #5 at this link.

There's also a set of instructions for the removable-leaf version here in the document center that's a good line drawing of the way the convertible version works.
link to doc.

Happy remodeling!

Francesca
Old 01-03-2013, 01:50 PM   #29

Registry
Thanks! It looks tricky but with a little investigation I might be able to figue it out. Thanks again.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:04 PM   #30

Registry
You could probably refit the table you've already got, assuming it's the swingdown hinge/folding leg type. Since in your case you're trying to increase the length, adding a section would probably require resurfacing the whole shootin' match (unless you'd only use the extra when in bed form, in which case who cares if it doesn't match finish-wise, right?)

The slides themselves are readily available, and here's an interesting short video showing how to measure for/install them:

Francesca
Old 03-28-2014, 10:38 AM   #31

Registry
Hey all, we're FINALLY going to put our table together. Last year, we didn't take the trailer out ONCE and part of the reason was because I'd removed the table.

Anyways, I've copied the ideas I've seen here and am using drawer rails to extend out for support of the second half of the table. Line Ron in BC, I would like to have the drawer rails positioned how they'd be in a drawer. In other words, Norm put his "flat" and I'd like to put them on their edges.

The problem I'm having is figuring out how to attach the "front" pull piece to the drawer rail. I don't believe mine have holes in them pre-drilled. Do you drill them through yourself? Do you glue that piece on?

Thanks for your tips! I appreciate them.
Old 03-28-2014, 12:46 PM   #32

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
There's also a set of instructions for the removable-leaf version here in the document center that's a good line drawing of the way the convertible version works.
link to doc.

Francesca
Link that works
Fiberglass RV - Document Center - Trillium Table Instructions
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 01:06 PM   #33

Registry
Thanks for that link to the Trillium table. I think I took a look at it a couple years ago and decided it was too complicated for me. Ha! As if what I have done is not complicated!

Anyways, next time I'll give that one a try with the leaf but the one I've built is like Norm's -- It just folds in half on top of itself.

Does anyone have a tip for attaching the front "pull" piece of wood to the drawer supports? I double checked and there's no hold drilled. I'm not opposed to drilling a hole through the metal but I want to make sure it's necessary since there's really not that much metal to work with.

Thanks!
Old 03-30-2014, 01:16 PM   #34

Registry
Sorry, I just noticed my typo -- "hold" should be "hole". There is not a hole drilled in the drawer support through which I could attach the front piece if wood.
Old 03-30-2014, 03:27 PM   #35

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Steve & Rosemary, I believe you could simply get small metal angle and drill a couple of small holes in the slides as close to the edge as possible, then attach with self taping screws. You then could simply use short screws in the same fashion for attaching the wood pull. When I did mine I simply used a piece of slim aluminum flat stock, bent an "L" or 90 degree at each end and used the self taping screws to the brackets.
Hope this helps.
Dave & Paula
Attached Thumbnails
DSC01171.jpg   DSC01170.jpg  

DSC01172.jpg  
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 04:40 PM   #36

Registry
Thanks David & Paula! That helps a ton and makes a lot of sense. I'll give it a try. Thanks!!

Tags
scamp