Renting my Scamp - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2014, 07:34 PM   #21

Name: Robert
Trailer: Casita
Washington
Thanks Donna. My wife and I retired and really flexible. I was even considering driving to LA when that seemed closest. Your recommendation and ChristopherM's appear to be the same rental group and we're pumped. Only downside is no pets. We have two zero-shed, bathed regularly schoondles. Oh well.
RockyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:01 PM   #22

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I provided NO recommendation. Just a URL I've captured. Call them, check it out, what would be the hurt? It may cost you more for a deposit... but, unless you ask... they've already said NO.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:35 PM   #23

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Two Schoodles? I am afraid that you are only making it tougher on yourself.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 08:01 AM   #24

Trailer: Tote N Tarry
Be it houses, apartments, motorcycles, cars, or trailers, renters rarely take as good care of borrowed items as their own. They have no investment in the item, so have no reason to use it with care. How many of us have loaned out our tools or other items to friends/relatives, only to have to ASK to get them back? Like they say, "No good deed goes unpunished."
Filbert V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 10:50 AM   #25

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
I agree with prev. posts on using any camper is a learning experience, would add that while I would loan our scamp to our adult children I would have to be willing to accept that their small children could damage some of the more delicate parts. Think windows and two rowdy grandsons.

If you can not afford to lose it don't give it in the first place. I figure it's like loaning money to family, don't "loan" it. Make it a gift, if you can't afford to live with not being paid back don't put that potential problem into the relationship. If they do pay you back great but if they must pay you back....

Tools, equipment, campers do break or have accidents, if you would have to carry a grudge or end up in small claims court over the cost of repairs then it's probably not a good idea.

Schnoodles X 2 wow that must keep you from being bored. One Schnauzer makes life interesting for us. In a good way generally, except for the "must kill all squirrels" can be a little bit of a pain sometimes.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 03:36 AM   #26

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Old thread, but my $.02

I rent out my car trailer. The price? $1500 for the weekend. If you bring it back in the same shape it left, I refund $1300. Tires and breakdowns are all on the renter. If you don't bring it back, I really don't care, you already paid for it.

The scamp would be the same. $10,000 for the week, and if it comes back, I will give you $9500 back.

I've never had a problem with anybody that rented my trailer in this manner. Very few choose to rent mine, but I don't care. The ones that do, aren't going to screw it up.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 10:11 AM   #27

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
In Alberta at least, if the borrower, (not sure about renter) damages your trailer, then it is covered by their liability insurance.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 01:32 PM   #28

Name: kevin
Trailer: 13' Scamp
Colorado
Liability insurance

In the US, liability insurance covers anything attached to the car. However coverage is based on depreciated value which is based on stick built trailer prices. So if your trailer is over two or three years old, you insurance basically regards it as worthless.
KevinScamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 01:59 PM   #29

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinScamps View Post
In the US, liability insurance covers anything attached to the car. However coverage is based on depreciated value which is based on stick built trailer prices. So if your trailer is over two or three years old, you insurance basically regards it as worthless.
Your trailer is usually only covered for liability by the vehicles policy and those value issues are not necessarily true when it pertains to collision & comprehensive.

But, if you have a policy specifically on your trailer:
1. Most insurance policies are written for "Replacement Value" and it's up to the owner to prove that value with recent comps. vs. what the ins company offers.

2. Many companies will write a "Declared Value" policy where an owner states a maximum replacement value and the premiums are adjusted accordingly. But it's still up to the owner to prove value with comps and qualified appraisals if a claim is made.

3. Right now there is a 1987 Toyota Motorhome being repaired in northern California (he's from Colorado BTW) and the insurance is paying out over $18,000 in repairs against a $30,000 declared value policy, on a vehicle that books for about $3500. In that case, as it is a rare 4x4 Sunrader FGRV, the value is very high, and the owner acted accordingly in getting it insured..

4. I have a Stated or Declared value policy of $10,000 on my Hunter Compact-II. I also have a stack of saved Hunter ads and a stack of receipts for work I have done. If it gets appraised, the appraiser will be including labor costs at market rate when computing it's actual value.

Ins companies are usually more than happy to take additional premiums for higher values, but they are guessing that they will never have to pay it out.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 07:21 PM   #30

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I'd make a lousy landlady. I would never own rentals of any kind... not even sticks 'n bricks homes/apartments/condos. It's my personality, can't help that. I somehow attach myself to what I own. Few would take care of my stuff like I do.. and that includes family/friends.

Years ago, I learned three things:

Family is family
Friends are friends
Business is business

Don't mix up the three.

YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 09:40 PM   #31

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Cool Rental et al

Donna, I always say the same thing in a different way:

Avoid dual relationships. Don't rent/loan to a friend because if the rental/borrowing goes bad, as it very well may, then the friend is gone too. Shakespeare said it in Polonius' advice to Laertes:

"Neither a borrower nor a lender be. For gift oft loses both itself and friend and borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry."

So you see this also was a problem in the 16th century.

I loaned a pick-axe to a neighbor thirty years ago. I did get it back, and a pick-axe is neigh near indestructible, but it took years.

I know of two brothers who wed two sisters. When one marriage died, the other followed as collateral.

There are rental companies...

RV Rentals, Recreational Vehicle, Motorhome and RV Rental - El Monte RV

and

Class C Motor Homes, RV Rentals and Sales - Cruise America

I see these on the road often.

(I see that El Monte has a whole list of things to do in one of their RVs. We don't need theirs, we have our own! )

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 04:55 AM   #32

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
In regards to someone who is looking to rent out their trailer, as the OP is, I say go for it. If it helps make owning it more affordable, why not. Just make sure you have good documents to cover the deal with detail on how damage would be covered, and have good insurance in place. AND, don't forget to charge enough. Maybe check out to see what some of the rental companies charge.

I have done major amounts of business with friends and family, from bathrooms, to basements, kitchens, large scale additions, to a couple new homes. Only in one case did the resultant end in a strained relation, which took a few years to mend. What I like about doing work for them comes from the fact they trust me, and that I will do a good job, and be fair. They also realize it is an occupation for me, and that I need to make money at it.

Personally, I would never consider renting my trailer (or anything I own personally), but would lend it out to a friend or family member in a heartbeat, and have done so. They realize the 'You break it, you fix it' rule. The main reason for not renting it for me would be the hassle involved, as my time right now, what with being super busy with work, is quite precious.

I also do business with my two brothers, owning some rec property, and a few revenue properties together, and there is ZERO question on trust in any dealings any one of us should do on our own, while representing each other. I just sold a property a short while ago while one brother was out of the country on vacation. He just did up power of attorney for me. When I made a deal, I sent him a text with just the selling price, got a response that said "Sounds good, go for it", and sent a reply saying "That was not a question!". The reply back was a smilie face.

I do understand the concerns some of you may have, and have seen first hand with others how this sort of thing can go wrong. I know families that live within a short distance of each other, yet are lucky to get together a few times a year. For us, it is a very regular thing. It all comes down to how sound your relationships are, I think.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp