HELP!!! New to be 13’ Scamp owners. Need help with bed - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-25-2013, 12:10 AM   #41

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel E View Post
My wife says DIY are my actual initials. What I was wondering is if there are structural components involved that might affect the integrity of the trailer. Someone was talking about making a roof brace removable and I would shy away from something like that. But if this cabinet is bolted/riveted in with no structural component I would be confident of moving it, just wondering if it had been done before or if there was a topic in the forums that details such a mod.

Since the bigger bed is a recent option from Scamp, I doubt I'll find one anytime soon in the used market.

The cabinet/closet between the door and bed/dinette is structural. The roof is likely to sag without it, also in the pictures it appears that the support on bed/dinette side of counter is missing. I think this is a trailer headed for trouble.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:48 PM   #42

Name: Harry
Trailer: 7/24/13...ordered a 2014 13 ft Scamp w/Shower/Toilet
Alabama
Well Paul, what did you decide and now that you have had your Scamp a couple of months, what do you think? We ordered a 13 ft Scamp standard and were thrilled we could get the 54 inch bed. My wife and I like to spread out a bit and the dog is always in there with us. Plus, we ordered extra cabinets as advised by everyone so we don't believe it will be an issue.
Hman66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:45 PM   #43

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel E View Post
We are looking at a 13' Scamp that has the standard bed and a sink/range cabinet. There is no storage closet next to the bed and I'm wondering if the sink/range cabinet can be moved 12-15" so a larger bed can be installed? Anyone have knowledge of that potential mod? Here is a pic of the trailer interior:
They now make a new Standard 13 front bath with a 54" wide bed as opposed to the 44" wide bed, you could buy the new trailer, the new molded parts or....

Here's a possibility...It's one I did with a queen bed, a 32" SMEV kitchen, and a front dinette....
Attached Thumbnails
May 2009 001.jpg   May 2009 023.jpg  

May 2009 018.jpg   May 2009 020.jpg  

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 09:57 AM   #44

Name: Robert
Trailer: CT13
Indiana
What type of refrigerator is that in your picture?
Higginra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:48 PM   #45

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Higginra View Post
What type of refrigerator is that in your picture?
It's a Coleman 12V Cooler fridge.
The buyer lived in the trailer for 4 months, and traveled even the southwest in the summer. Reported that they had no problem keeping fresh milk.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 07:44 PM   #46

Name: Mike
Trailer: Scamp 13 - Soon to order!
California
My concern about the larger bed in a 13' is where to store kitchen stuff like pots and pans? I was thinking that I would put some of this under the sink, but that storage disappears with the larger bed, especially if you also get the furnace. I also thought that I'd make shelves to fit in the closet for such things. With a 10" pantry and no storage under the sink, where do people put kitchen goods?
surfer.prof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:53 PM   #47

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Welcome Mike
The 10" you loose under the sink was mostly taken up by the wheel well on the small bed model. We store a electric tea kettle in the upper cabinet with some dishes (light weight) , utensils and a few spices. We just carry a frying and sauce pan we usually stash under the sink. Some carry the stacking camping pans which take up less space than our two pans. We carry an induction hot plate which is stored in a box under the rear bench seat. There is usually a little storage door/area under the furnace for a couple of pans.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:06 PM   #48

Name: Alice
Trailer: 2018 Casita SD - Kondo A-Go-Go
Utah
Registry
I've learned my lesson carrying larger, heavy items under the sink. Coming back from Yellowstone last year, I took a bump on the interstate at 60MPH. Of course, everything in the trailer went up, then back down. The sink does not have a J trap, but a little bowl in the drain. Something hit it, cracked the little bowl. When I got to a campground that evening, and ran water in the sink, it came out on to my feet. Luckily, I had a small plastic trash bin I put under there. What was scary is that there is also a 120v outlet facing upward toward the sink with no protection. So now I carry the little trash container with towels under the sink.

KONDO A-GO-GO - I GO WHERE I'M TOWED
Wallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:14 PM   #49

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
As an all molded towable owner... no matter the size of the TT, there are two things that are paramont (IMHO) a comfortable place to sleep (is the bed big enough) and a comfortable chair to sit outside! EVERYTHING else is gravy. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 09:32 PM   #50

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
Be aware that the larger bed comes with a smaller table! Instead of a 42" table that might seat 4 adults or 2 adults and two kids, Scamp provides a 32" table and a 20" filler board for the larger bed Scamp13. We like the larger bed but, very cramped seating for foul weather indoor meals or card/board games in the evening. :-(
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 10:25 PM   #51

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdickens View Post
Be aware that the larger bed comes with a smaller table! Instead of a 42" table that might seat 4 adults or 2 adults and two kids, Scamp provides a 32" table and a 20" filler board for the larger bed Scamp13. We like the larger bed but, very cramped seating for foul weather indoor meals or card/board games in the evening. :-(
Solved that problem with our mod., and no more filler board needed. Made setting up table from bed and back very quick & easy, and we have a small table OR a large table depending on needs.
Dave & Paula
Attached Thumbnails
DSC01172.jpg   DSC01171.jpg  

DSC01170.jpg  
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 05:31 AM   #52

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
Solved that problem with our mod., and no more filler board needed. Made setting up table from bed and back very quick & easy, and we have a small table OR a large table depending on needs.
Dave & Paula
I've always like some of these solutions, but my question is once you get the big table setup.. how do you get in or out!? Crawl under/leap over? I mean it looks great, but practicality? Setting up for dinner with all the plates and utinsels and food... then how do you get in to enjoy the big table? And then deconstructing, moving dirty dishes and food back to the kitchen. Inquiring minds want to know...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 05:59 AM   #53

Missouri
BTW - We opted for a tiny electric space hater instead of the furnace. We added the wooden stove cover for more flat counter space and stabilized the sink cover / cutting board for the same reason. The 10" cabinet (formerly 20" closet) has fixed/unmoveable shelves and, so far, has become a food pantry (we are still figuring things out). A possible advantage of the 32" table for 2 people is a more open feel to the trailer and easy entry/exit from the smallish table seating area.
Old 03-20-2014, 08:54 AM   #54

Name: Mike
Trailer: Scamp 13 - Soon to order!
California
Wow! I've got a 13' Scamp on order with the larger bed. Just found out via these forums that the table will be too small for my family of four. I'm both frustrated and anxious now because the whole reason for ordering new in my mind was to avoid the work and hassle of modifications. I do wish that Scamp had made it clear to me that the bigger bed means a smaller table. I naively assumed it meant I'd get a 54" table.

So now I'm thinking I've got to rebuild the table right away with good quality plywood and make it the full size. Will that be as simple as I'm imagining it? Any thoughts?
surfer.prof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 09:13 AM   #55

Alabama
Hey Mike...I just sold my 2014 13 ft Scamp. The table was ok to seat 4 adult people...fyi. Not luxurious but acceptable. With kids it will be even more comfortable.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:22 AM   #56

Alabama
Also, I opted to get the heat strip in the AC unit and was so glad I did. It works great and you don't have to lug an electric heater around. I put wire shelves in the cabs to make them more usable and reinforced the closet clothes rod on the left side so it would not slip out of its holder while driving under the load of my wife's numerous outfits!. I used a 2" rubber hose clamp...works great. Not sure about the comments on storage...the full size bed is standard now and I had plenty of cab room. I also had several rubber suction hooks placed all over the place and...I put 2 suction plastic shower soap dishes in it. I put one by the electric outlet to the left of the sink to hold our cell phones while charging and I put on one to the right side of the cab across from the sink. I put my stuff in there...tv remote, car keys, wallet/money, etc. It was right by my head above my pillow and out of the way. Have fun with it!!
Old 03-20-2014, 09:49 AM   #57

Missouri
Mike - IMHO ... Ask questions and ask for what you want. Maybe they would supply the previously used 42" table and a 10" filler piece? (They still have the 42" tables in the parts department.) Even a 40" table and 12" filler might be an improvement? If you put kids by back wall and adults at front corners, maybe 32" will do? May make some cardboard templates and see what you actually need. Just FYI - For max storage, we added front overhead cabinet and back side cabinets. The table should not be a hard problem to solve. I'll bet you will love the trailer. - Ray

Tags
scamp