New Tow Vehicle for Scamp 13 Standard: Your Thoughts? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2014, 09:39 AM   #1

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
New Tow Vehicle for Scamp 13 Standard: Your Thoughts?

Hi Everyone,
Come this fall, I'll be gifting my 02 S10 LS 4.3 vortech engine truck to my son. I have only towed the Scamp with it home (from picking it up in Ohio) and I couldn't even tell it was behind me.
I have been told (and read here) that the longer wheelbase helps with a smooth tow, as found in my truck. However, when I get a new(er) vehicle this fall, I'd like to get an SUV. I really don't want the expense or looks of another cap on a truck, even though I like trucks alot.
I like Toyota and Chevy vehicles as a rule. I was thinking about a Toyota FJ Cruiser, but they're a little short as far as wheel base goes, aren't they? I like the Chevy Tahoe, Toyota 4 Runner...there are probably others out there, but this is all that comes to mind right now.
I should get a 6 cylinder, right? I guess I just want to know people's thoughts on the wheelbase length and their experiences. I think that my friend Floyd wrote that he likes the wheelbase length of the tug to match the trailer. That's probably not an exact quote, but I think that's what he meant. My apology Floyd if I interpreted that wrong!

Wendy (CampyTime)
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 10:13 AM   #2

Name: Alice
Trailer: 2018 Casita SD - Kondo A-Go-Go
Utah
Registry
Wendy, if you purchase a vehicle that is rated to tow 3500#, you will have more than enough to tow a 13' Scamp, plus some left over incase you want to upgrade to a larger FGRV in the future. Just verify the towing capacity of the vehicles you are considering.

KONDO A-GO-GO - I GO WHERE I'M TOWED
Wallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 10:46 AM   #3

New York
Registry
Thanks for writing back Wallo. I understand about the tow capacity, but what I don't get is the part about wheelbase length. Any truck would be good due to that right? I guess I just wondered if SUVs due to their shorter wheelbase affects how scamp ties behind you and if you'd notice more sway. This is if course assuming I have the scamp loaded correctly which is another question I have for a new post!

Cheers,
Wendy
Old 02-19-2014, 11:07 AM   #4

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I have personally found that a longer wheelbase does result in a better tow experience. There is an write up at RV Lifestyle - Hitch Hints that you might find helpful. I once towed a boat with a fairly short wheelbase Jeep that I personally was happy not to have as a regular tow.

You do not need a 6 cylinder to pull a 13' trailer. Keep in mind not all 4 cylinder engines are all not created equal in regards to horsepower and torque. There are some 4 cylinders out there that have the power to pull a 13' trailer without a great deal of speed loss on hills etc. A Subaru Outback is an example of that and lots of folks pull with them (including myself for six years) and those pulling a 13' are pretty happy with the tow. If an actual SUV with more power is your want then take a look at the Toyota Highlander, its another popular choose here and used by a number of people pulling trailers bigger than 13'.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 11:40 AM   #5

Name: Alice
Trailer: 2018 Casita SD - Kondo A-Go-Go
Utah
Registry
I can personally attest to pulling a 13' with a 2012 Rav4 V6 and a 2009 Subaru Forester. Both are very good. My only concern with the Forester, was pulling up a long hill in CO on a warm day and also on a long climb in CA. The Forester did not have a transmission cooler and that had me concerned since I could smell the oil burning. Had the transmission oil changed after each trip. Subaru did not recommend/offer an after market transmission cooler, but I think they should have. I have no advice/knowledge on wheel base since that was not in my consideration for a tow vehicle.

KONDO A-GO-GO - I GO WHERE I'M TOWED
Wallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 11:55 AM   #6

Name: Jeff
Trailer: 2013 Scamp 16' 2012 Jeep Wrangler JK 4 Door
Lancaster County Pa
Registry
I have Scamp 16' and I pull it with my 2012 4 door Jeep Wrangler. I already pulled it 5000 miles. Except going uphill I forget it's even there until I look in the mirror.
jgraps1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 01:30 PM   #7

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampyTime View Post
... I was thinking about a Toyota FJ Cruiser, but they're a little short as far as wheel base goes, aren't they?...
An fj would be well suited for towing your 13' Scamp. I tow an Escape 19' with my fj and have had no issues at all with power or stability. The short wheelbase is not an issue for the fj towing a lightweight fiberglass camper.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 03:05 PM   #8

New York
Registry
Hi everyone,
Thanks to you all for your replies. I really like the fj cruiser but will have to find a newer used one as they're pricey,
After your post Carol, I looked at the Subaru and highlander. I like the Subaru better but from what I read it ties 1500 pounds? Maybe a typo? I went to their website, maybe mistaken. I just am not crazy for the look of the highlander and would also consider a 4 runner. My truck has had a lot of problems this past year and I think it's time to bite the bullet and get a car payment again!

Thank you,
Wendy
Old 02-19-2014, 03:40 PM   #9

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampyTime View Post
After your post Carol, I looked at the Subaru and highlander. I like the Subaru better but from what I read it ties 1500 pounds? Maybe a typo?
Nope I suspect you are looking at the Subaru Forester rating which with the newer models is only 1500lbs.

The Subaru Outback has two different towing capacity ratings - 2800lbs or 3000lbs depending on which model of the Outback you get. The Outback also has a bigger transmission cooler than the Forester - or I read that someplace. In six years of towing with it no issues on that front. I did have the transmission fluid changed out about every year and a half or so though but I also but a fairly high number of tow miles on it each year.
Old 02-19-2014, 05:45 PM   #10

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
If your thinking about getting a new tow rig you also need to think about how you camp and what you take with you. In a 13 foot you dont have much room to stuff your supplies. If you like to travel and stop for the night you dont want to have to unload your trailer just to go to sleep. I feel the smaller the trailer the more volume you need in your tow rig. I use a 2001 Nissan pathfinder and by the time I load a cooler Chairs a canopy and a folding hammock and a couple of boxes of food I barely have room to squeeze in the dog. But when I arrive at night with my 13 foot Scamp and just want to crawl into bed I can without having to move stuff around. But I camp mostly in the desert boonies from 5 to 7 days so if you didn't bring it with you, you dont have it. In your shoes the Toyota 4 runner is good the Land Cruiser is better but the FJ cruiser carries 4 people OK but not much else. If I was a minimalist I would use the highlander. I am not a fan of Chevy anything so others would have to judge there. For me if i was doing over again I would pick a truck and put a cap on it. I miss my old Toyota pick-up.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 06:34 PM   #11

Registry
Steve raises a really good point. The more cargo space in the rear of the tug the better and to be honest some of them come up real short in that department.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:40 PM   #12

Alberta
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post
If your thinking about getting a new tow rig you also need to think about how you camp and what you take with you. In a 13 foot you dont have much room to stuff your supplies. If you like to travel and stop for the night you dont want to have to unload your trailer just to go to sleep. I feel the smaller the trailer the more volume you need in your tow rig. I use a 2001 Nissan pathfinder and by the time I load a cooler Chairs a canopy and a folding hammock and a couple of boxes of food I barely have room to squeeze in the dog. But when I arrive at night with my 13 foot Scamp and just want to crawl into bed I can without having to move stuff around. But I camp mostly in the desert boonies from 5 to 7 days so if you didn't bring it with you, you dont have it. In your shoes the Toyota 4 runner is good the Land Cruiser is better but the FJ cruiser carries 4 people OK but not much else. If I was a minimalist I would use the highlander. I am not a fan of Chevy anything so others would have to judge there. For me if i was doing over again I would pick a truck and put a cap on it. I miss my old Toyota pick-up.
If you are travelling solo with one dog in a 13' trailer and a Nissan pathfinder, and find yourself out of room, you are probably overpacking and need to leave some "stuff" at home.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Old 02-19-2014, 07:15 PM   #13

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice-breaker View Post
If you are travelling solo with one dog in a 13' trailer and a Nissan pathfinder, and find yourself out of room, you are probably overpacking and need to leave some "stuff" at home.
Humm I looked at the Pathfinder and honestly don't think its cargo area was all that great. If you had a dog in that space then you really are limited as you don't want every thing else which you would have to stack up falling on top of it. In fact I have a friend who coaches soccer and he has a tough time stuffing the net full of soccer balls needed for practise into the back of his Pathfinder without dropping down a rear seat or two.

One of the things I look at when looking for a new vehicle is if I can fit a bike inside the rear of it. You would be surprised how many SUV's you can't even do it with the seats all folded down. I love the Subaru Outback as not only could you fit one bike in - if you took the front wheel off of one, you could fit two bikes in nicely.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:05 PM   #14

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
I had a 2006 Xterra V6 and it pulled a 16 Scamp and it rode like a buckboard with or without the trailer. Bought a 5er then traded the Xterra for a 2007 Crew Cab V6 Frontier, 4 dr. long bed. The Frontier rides like a dream empty but has a very good ride pulling a S-13, 16 or 19. The long wheel base does make a big difference. Both vehicles had the same drive train.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:20 PM   #15

New York
Registry
Stevebaz and Eddie,
I really wonder and I go back and forth over getting a truck again. I keep thinking I'm going to miss it...but really hate the cap thing. I have a leer 120 on my s10 and really think they take the beauty out of a truck. As Donna says, YMMV. Geez picking up all kinds of good stuff here! Hey Steve and Eddie, how do you find a truck does without a cap? Do you use a tonneau cover or just put your stuff in Rubbermaid bins? I can attest to needing tons of room having camped with a pop up for five years and the scamp is worse for storage (13 anyway). Aside from the closet mod ill do I can see me needing stow space in my tug. Just don't want the cap thing anymore. How does my idea of Rubbermaid totes sound? I would also need ladder rack for kayaks. This was another reason for going with an SUV because you can have load bearing racks from the factory. Not too common on trucks from what I've seen.

Warm regards to you,

Wendy
Old 02-19-2014, 10:29 PM   #16

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Wendy
I have a 4 door Frontier and we carry a fair amount of stuff in the back seat when camping. I am now using a S-16 but I still have an older 5er for hunting in the barn so the bed is still has the 5er hitch in it and I use Contico plastic heavy duty bins from Lowes which are level with the bed rails for storage. I have roof rails for Yakima Racks but when pulling the S-16 I put on Yakima bed mount racks. They handle the weight of my Nucanoe better than the roof racks.
I have a nice looking fiberglass cap but have not used it with the Scamp 16. When not in the camping mode I install my aluminum work cap with ladder rack. That cap is great since it has side access doors and I can throw the Nucanoe on top if I want to go fishing. But with that cap on the truck it looks like a service truck.
I haul firewood, generators, cans of gas, diesel fuel, LP tanks and sometimes game and I also have to take garbage to the dump (Not all at the same time.) so a SUV won't work for me.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 11:52 PM   #17

Registry
I have a fiberglass tonneau cover on my Frontier. Love the way it looks & so far I have only used it none towing and done a few trips to ski races with lots of gear in the box. Works great for that. I have a 16' Scamp and carry most everything inside it when traveling other than my cooler and my golf bags which both will go into the truck bed or the rear of the cab. I use to put bikes and kayaks on the roof of the Subaru. I have found a great option for adding a low profile bike rack mount to the fiberglass tonneau but not sure what I will do when it comes to carrying Kayaks. As much as I like the look of the current tonneau and don't want a cap on the truck I have a hunch I am going to wish it was a one of the hard type flip/fold back types, as taking the fiberglass tonneau off is a bit of a pain.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:34 AM   #18

Alberta
I guess that not everyone is accustomed to camping with a minimum of gear. We have come from a wilderness canoeing background where all your gear and food comes along with you in the canoe, and thus you must pack relatively light. When we take our Escape out on extended trips, I find that there is plenty of room for 4 in the FJ with a canoe or two on the roof, and all of our gear and food stored neatly away and out of site in the trailer. Back of the FJ is relatively empty with only stuff required for current days activities. Now when I compare my situation with 4 of us to a single traveller with a dog in a small SUV and 13'er, to me it is a no brainer that they should not be lacking for space.

Old 02-20-2014, 11:05 AM   #19

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice-breaker View Post
I guess that not everyone is accustomed to camping with a minimum of gear. We have come from a wilderness canoeing background where all your gear and food comes along with you in the canoe, and thus you must pack relatively light.
LOL well some of us do indeed come from the same background and pack everything needed for actual camping in the trailer.

Its just the extra curricular activities we do while on camping/traveling adventures that get in the way - bikes, golf clubs and kayaks..... hard to downsize them!
Old 02-20-2014, 01:58 PM   #20

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Here in So Cal when we go camping we have to take our shade with us. So for me carrying a 4 foot long pop-up canopy is common even with the bag awning on the trailer. Not many smaller vehicles can carry this. My Nissan Pathfinder back seat folds flat and can accommodate what I want to carry. My No1 goal with my trailer when traveling is to be able to get in and sleep with minimal hassle. So allot of stuff has to go elsewhere. Everyone's camping experience and desires are different and Yes I carry too much stuff always have and always will. Camping is my Vacation and I take what I need to relax. Other people are fine with a bed roll, a spoon and a can of beans. To each his own. One big difference when camping with a SUVs over an open pick-up truck is, if you boon dock everything in the back of the truck gets dirty and you get really dirty every time you go in your bins to get something. That is not fun. There is also the security issue. You drop off the trailer and go explore or stop in a nice Cafe for lunch and your belongings are open for other people’s enjoyment. Like I said before look seriously at your camping desires before you pick the tug.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp