Hi! I'm Dena & hopefully about to become a lil bigfoot owner! - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2013, 02:08 PM   #41

Name: Dee
Trailer: Currently shopping
Saskatchewan
Tom - thanks for the clarification on the floors.

Kevin - as of right now, assuming there are no nasty surprises that the pictures did not show, we will be taking this baby home tomorrow

Kenny - thanks for your trailer insight. Would love to see photos of your Lil Bigfoot if you have any
denabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 04:15 PM   #42

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
It looks like a keeper to me. If you decide not to buy it, several forum members may want to arm-wrestle to be next in line behind you and buy it. For that matter, it looks so good, I'd buy it myself if they were willing to hold it for me until November (first chance I'll have for a road trip).

The only thing that would give me pause was if the entire floor was rotted. And I doubt that will be the case. Even if you had to replace the axle sometime soon, that's less than a thousand dollars and it's still a bargain.

Single axle= there's one wheel on each side. Tandem axle= 2 wheels on each side of the trailer. The axle goes under the trailer and holds the wheels in place on either side.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 04:27 PM   #43

Saskatchewan
thanks mike for the axle info. totally get it now

another question for whoever can answer. i have been googling a bunch of 1987 13' lil bigfoot photos, just to make comparisons and such. i have found a difference on all the others and my potental one.
this is what the google ones show...

and this is "mine"

what are those two venty things (yes i am most technical with my terms hahaha) that are not located on mine?
Old 08-22-2013, 04:49 PM   #44

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by denabear View Post
what are those two venty things (yes i am most technical with my terms hahaha) that are not located on mine?
Refrigerator vents.
Old 08-22-2013, 04:54 PM   #45

Saskatchewan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
Refrigerator vents.

so if this trailer is lacking fridge vents then how can it possibly have a working fridge, which owners claim? Is it safe to assume that previous owners may have removed the vents which would explain the paint job on bottom??? Or would it somehow have come without them which just doesn't make any sense to me.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:32 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by denabear View Post
so if this trailer is lacking fridge vents then how can it possibly have a working fridge, which owners claim? Is it safe to assume that previous owners may have removed the vents which would explain the paint job on bottom??? Or would it somehow have come without them which just doesn't make any sense to me.
Maybe someone more familiar with Big Foots can answer. One explanation would be an all electric refrigerator that vents to the interior.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:53 PM   #47

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
My guess is that it has a working ice box

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:02 PM   #48

Saskatchewan
If you look at the photos the fridge looks like the original fridge. I think I'm driving myself crazy because its tomorrow!! I so want this to be "my" camper. Lol
Old 08-22-2013, 07:48 PM   #49

Saskatchewan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
My guess is that it has a working ice box

Nancy
Ding ding ding... We have a winner. Heard back from seller. They apologized for not being clear enough. Stated that The fridge is only an ICEBOX. It has a furnace And a cook top stove. Also said that her father says the awning is there but mother says its not. Shall be a surprise when I get there tomorrow lol. Would kinda explain the bottom paint job, if they removed the fridge vents and did some fixing up then painted over???? Anyway fridge mystery solved!
Old 08-22-2013, 09:02 PM   #50

I'll place another bet. I think the ice box is original.

We ordered our scamp without the fridge. One reason was that I did not want the vents that would allow spiders, mosquito, etc into the trailer. I also figured it was one less place for water to enter. We did not get the ice box either as I wanted the space. Ice cooler works for us.

Good luck with your day tomorrow.

Nancy
Old 08-22-2013, 09:07 PM   #51

I also think the bottom color is original. The stripe is still there.

Nancy
Old 08-22-2013, 09:16 PM   #52

Saskatchewan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
I'll place another bet. I think the ice box is original.

We ordered our scamp without the fridge. One reason was that I did not want the vents that would allow spiders, mosquito, etc into the trailer. I also figured it was one less place for water to enter. We did not get the ice box either as I wanted the space. Ice cooler works for us.

Good luck with your day tomorrow.

Nancy
Ding ding ding!!! You are on a roll today Nancy. Seller just emailed that indeed it came with the ice box originally. Maybe you should buy a lotto ticket lol

But

They said previously when asked about the two tone colour that the previous owners had painted the bottom half and they had the auto body shop paint tongue box to match the bottom.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:11 PM   #53

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
LOL it's a good thing you are going there tomorrow.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:50 PM   #54

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Sorry I called your Lil' Bigfoot a Casita. I had the straight door in mind when I was typing however now that I think about Casita never put the straight door on 13 or 16 footers, only on the 17's.

Well there could be lots of reasons for painting, one that comes to mind..........'cause they wanted to.

People like the looks of Bolers which mostly are 2 toned. We have quite a few people on this site that have painted their trailers a variety of colors and patterns. So who knows why, probably isn't important.

And the trailer most likely never fridge just an ice box. Fridge is one of those turns that gets used freely.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:04 PM   #55

Saskatchewan
mike - yes indeed it is a very good thing that i get to go tomorrow. now only if i could get off the internet and go to sleep lol

joy - no worries, i could never get any of them straight lol. as for the paint, i dont reallt care one way or another as long as its in good shape.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:11 PM   #56

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Yes, get off the computer and go get that trailer.

I did notice yesterday you responded to my 2:00am post immediately and it struck me that it had to be maybe 4:00am in Saska.

So get to bed.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 01:03 AM   #57

Saskatchewan
Thumbs up Yay for me!!

We are back from our journey and we did not come back empty handed. It was a most excellent adventure today. The gentleman who sold us our new Lil Bigfoot was very kind and patient. He knocked off 100$ from the price because the right tail light was being not working 100% and one of the wooden beam/edges/boards for supporting the table bed is cracking. Otherwise it was pretty much as the photos showed. The spots where the photos showed possible water damage were just lighting tricks because upon inspection all looked fine. it definitely needs a cleaning and the wall furry stuff is kind of sagging in spots and it seems the previous owners did a hack job at trying to fix it in one spot under the cushions. The awning was found and included although we didn't bother opening to see if it was torn or anything. the inside is really just some cosmetic fixes and upkeep. yay!!

AS for the outside, where the previous owners painted the bottom half, it is a really bad job. you can use your fingernail to scratch off the paint and the original paint underneath that shows looks wonderful. so you can guarantee i will eventually be hunting down ideas on how to get that crappy white job off without wrecking the original paint job underneath. The outside also needs some cosmetic fixes and all that but as far as we can tell all is sealed well enough to prevent leaks. (actually driving home we hit a severe thunder shower that poured buckets so we could barely see road for about 1/2 hr. result of trailer when we checked it as soon as it stopped...dry as a bone!)

my mom, who drove, said it pulled like a dream, she often forgot it was there it was a smooth ride and made the what turns out to be 3 hour trip just fine.

my mom is the one who checked out the underside because #1 she is more knowledgeable on that kind of stuff and #2 im such a girly girl... ewwww bugs and yuk. hahaha, no way i was getting down there on my back (feel free to poke fun at me, my mom sure did). Anyways, she said it looked good floor wise. her and the owner were chatting up a storm about a bunch of stuff i am sure all of you would care to know and totally understand but went over my head. (seriously i will learn to be an rv girl, just give me time.)

downside...

i do not like how low the trailer sits to the ground. i am unsure if it is normal as a quick forum search showed many posts about low bigfoot ground clearance and solution being flipping axle, or something is up with this trailer/axle but i bought it being ok with the possibility of that added expense.

Also, we did not have the opportunity to test the electrical and water and such as there was no where to do it. risky business buying without testing but sometimes you just gotta go with your gut. The owner was a wonderful man, so very helpful. our hitch ended up still being too tall and so he took my mom around to the neighbours to see if anyone had one that would fit, borrowed one and lent us the ball as well trusting that we will mail it back to him and his neighbour. He also returned an extra 100$ when i ended up overpaying him, actually stopped us as we were driving away because he was recounting and realized two 100$ new bills were stuck together. i missed it and he missed it when we counted it out the first time.

So now that we are home, with our new little baby all snug in our driveway i am going to read through all the documents and stuff he gave me that came with the trailer originally. i think i even saw the original brochure for it in the pile too.

Thanks everyone for making it through my very long post

Old 08-24-2013, 06:27 AM   #58

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Good for you Dena Glad it turned out to be as good as the pictures showed.

BTW, your Lil Foot didn't come from the factory painted, that's gel coat under that flaking paint. There are ways to get it off. Some solutions involve paint stripper, some may involve sanding (then repainting). We're here when you're ready for that...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 08:17 AM   #59

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
You will need to know the height of the coupler on the trailer when it is level. You then measure from the ground up to your receiver on your hitch. You will then need to buy a drawbar that when inserted into your receiver will be at the correct height that your trailer when attached to your vehicle will be level.
Keep in mind that the tongue weight will lower most tow vehicles rear ends a bit, nose down does not hurt.

Comparing the pictures you posted here: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post412746

There is quite a difference in where the center of the spindle is located in relation to the body. Yours appears to be sitting quite low. Worthy of investigation by comparing to other pictures and an axle inspection.

Congratulations on the purchase! Now get her fixed up before you get twofootitis, a common ailment among FGRV owners. Right Jim?
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 09:36 AM   #60

Congratulations. You really scored a good deal, regardless of any small issues that need to be taken care of.

Although the temptation is to start off with cosmetic stuff like curtains and paint, I'd go over all the mechanical, electrical and plumbing with a fine tooth comb. If the tires are over 5 or 6 years old (date code is on the side), replace them regardless of how much tread is on them. Make sure that the battery takes and holds a charge. Repack the wheel bearings. Check out the frame for cracks, especially where the tongue meets the body. Make sure that the suspension has adequate travel and is sound. Double check for leaking with a garden hose on windows, and any other pass through the body, like vents. If it leaks, you want to know now, not in the middle of a fun trip.

Once you have a good, sound trailer, go crazy with making it your own.

Tags
bigfoot, lil bigfoot