Bigfoot Vent Install - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2014, 10:34 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Registry
Bigfoot Vent Install

Hi, It’s been years since posting here so please please forgive my absence. Our Bigfoot 17CB received a new air conditioner installed where the Fantastic vent was originally placed. Since we are moving to Tennessee I figured an AC was in order.

My problem is now we are without the Fantastic Fan and want to install it in the forward area where the vent and sunroof are installed from the factory. There is DC power to tap into from the overhead ceiling lamp, but I’m concerned about the structural integrity of the roof with another 14” square hole in it.

Also there is what appears to be a patch or covering job in the fiberglass where the vent or sunroof would be. Not sure what that means but any help would be appreciated.

Is there anyone familiar with installing a vent into a 17 Center Bath?

Thanks, Roger
Attached Thumbnails
Bigfoot Roof 4.jpg   Bigfoot Roof 2.jpg  

Roger M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 12:17 AM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Don't know your model but I see no problem with adding another vent in your roof. As you say there is already what looks like a patch I'd say there was a vent or fan there before. I'd go for it.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 07:16 AM   #3

Name: Lonny
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B21FB
British Columbia
The patch you are referring to is the area that Bigfoot placed the optional skylight in the model 24B175CB units. Our previous unit had one installed there.

There should be no problem with installing your Fantastic Vent there if you are good with running your power from your light. The roof on the 17.5 is one of the strongest I have seen in a trailer so it will not weaken it any at all.

Good luck with your project!
lonnyda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 05:56 PM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Registry
Vent Install

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonnyda View Post
The patch you are referring to is the area that Bigfoot placed the optional skylight in the model 24B175CB units. Our previous unit had one installed there.

Good luck with your project!
Yes, I've seen a few Bigfoots (Bigfeet)? with skylights and vents in the forward roof area. And yes, the roof seems very strong - I'm 230lbs and feel no give at all walking or crawling on the roof. So, the strength is impressive.

I thought perhaps I might find an owner or two here who might have cut the 14" square hole to install a fan or even a skylight. The Bigfoot tech in B.C is cautious about cutting the hole and so am I, but it seems like it should be no problem.

Thank you for your replies!
Roger M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot