Ambitious Bigfoot Owners - SK Prairies - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2014, 01:01 AM   #1

Name: Cory
Trailer: Bigfoot
Saskatchewan
Ambitious Bigfoot Owners - SK Prairies

Hey, Long time campers, first time RV travel trailer owners here. We are totally NEW to the RV travel trailer "thing" and after exploring all the options out there, we decided to go with a vintage Bigfoot - 1978 Bigfoot B-16.

We figured, our home renovations are done...finally...yay! Now we can look to some fun toys, and why not keep the reno spirit alive and restore a vintage trailer.

So, here we are, looking for tips, tricks, ideas, inspirations, before-and-after's, and most of all - sharing!

First newbie question of what is sure to be many - Where can we find an Owner's/Operator's Manual for a 1978 Bigfoot B-16??? I have looked everywhere, and the closest we can find is the B17 on this site, or, are they close enough in design that the B17 manual will work for the b-16?
Cory Gen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 02:06 AM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Wecome to FGRV Cory. I don't think your going to find manuals for RV's persa (?) but most all RV builders include the instruction/use manuals for each appliance. From a small TT to a 45' class A they all work the same.
Others here will chime in soon. You can use the document center here to find info for different options you may have.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 10:32 AM   #3

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 17' DLX
Alaska
Registry
Cory,

IIRC, the Bigfoot B16 is actually a 17-foot model. Probably the same (or very similar) chassis and shell as the B17. Bigfoot did produce "Customer Service Manuals" but they were rather generic and as Dave said, the individual appliances such as the range, converter, toilet (if equipped), water heater, furnace, water pump, axle, etc. would all be covered by separate manuals from each manufacturer of these items. My 1989 Bigfoot came with the original manual packet which included the Bigfoot CS Manual, plus separate manuals for all the original appliances, many of which I have since updated.

There is a BF manual in the Document Center here titled, "BigFoot-CS_Manual" which is from 1986 and is probably the closest you will get to a manual for your 78 model. For anything it might not cover, ask here and someone may have an answer for you. There are numerous sources for vintage trailer appliance manuals, both here in the doc center, and elsewhere on RV sites. In this case, Google is your friend.

Cheers!
trainjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 09:45 PM   #4

Saskatchewan
Thanks guys! Some good information to know.

We had some storms and heavy rain last and this morning and glad to see that there were no leaks to be detected.

I managed to pull the tires off this evening and get them to cdn tire. The previous owners had car tires that were too small for the trailer. Got to start somewhere!

Also, I took the trailer to the weigh station outside of town and found that the Bigfoot actually weighs approx 2250lbs dry, far more than the stated 1850lbs. Interesting. I wonder where the extra 400lbs is coming from? There is nothing in it besides what appears to be the original fixings.
Old 08-08-2014, 09:04 PM   #5

Name: Dee
Trailer: Currently shopping
Saskatchewan
Just wanted to say hey from another fellow Saskatchewan Bigfoot owner (although i'm really a Lil' Bigfoot owner hehehe)
denabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 09:30 PM   #6

Saskatchewan
Cool! Glad to meet you! :-)

I just picked up a tongue cover! Good price, bit of a drive. Hopefully it fits!
Old 08-10-2014, 04:48 AM   #7

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Cory,
Most likely your Bigfoot is a 15B17G. If it lacks a shower, it is a standard model. If it has a shower, it is a deluxe model. All the 1500 series 17' models were actually 16'8" long. Best of luck with your updates.

NW New Mexico Photo by tomNjo | Photobucket
Old 08-10-2014, 09:38 AM   #8

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
Congratulations on your new trailer from another happy Bigfoot owner. I think the others have given you some good advice already. You're smart to start with things like the tires. Tackle the safety issues first - tires, axle, running lights, your hitch set-up etc. I would recommend trailer brakes if your rig doesn't already have them. Maybe take your trailer to an RV shop and have them pressure test your propane lines. Things like that. Once it's road worthy you can actually take it out camping - the fun part!

As for weight. Trailer manufacturer's weights just can't be relied on, especially with the older rigs. I believe manufacturers now weigh each trailer when it's all finished so the customer gets a much more accurate weight "dry weight". In the old days, things were more in the nature of a ball park figure I think. Bigfoots got heavier as the years went by and more features were added. Previous owners my have added things along the way to your Bigfoot that weren't originally there, like an awning. Ours is a 1987 and weighs in about 2800 - 3000 lbs when loaded to go camping - full propane tanks, 1/4 to 1/2 full fresh water tanks and empty holding tanks. I believe the newer 17' Bigfoots weigh even more. There is a great spreadsheet on this site that gives "actual" weights of trailers which we wish we'd seen before we bought our Bigfoot. Search the site for "trailer weights in the real world" and you'll find it.

PS - pictures of your trailer would be cool! Keep us posted on your progress.
Evergreengirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot