Actual Fuel Economy - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-26-2017, 08:44 AM   #41

Trailer: Sold Bigfoot. Shopping for Arctic Fox 22G
Missouri
A little searching revealed this:

Nebraska's Unleaded Gasoline and Ethanol Average Rack Prices
Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 09:08 AM   #42

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
OCD is just my way of saying “overly concerned”. Whether anyone here (including myself) is actually ocd about anything, I can’t tell from this thread. Just illustrating a point that each person thinks about it differently. But yeah. Anal is probably the better description. But every now and then, after talking with someone a little longer, you start getting the impression they’re on the spectrum of one condition or another. It looks exhausting to care so much, I can say that. They can’t help it.
I have some tendencies but can identify them and keep them in check

Interesting about engines! I don’t know enough. There used to be more inline 6s out there...

19mpg is “not bad”, but my truck is not full size. I have the older Tacoma, slightly bigger than a Ford Ranger. Even my old, small 4 cylinder Toyotas never got better than 22-24 highway. That’s not good for the size. All but one have been 4wd.

For whatever reason Toyota just hasn’t been able or willing to make a truck that gets good mileage. My friends with Tundras all get 9mpg if towing or with a slide in camper.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 10:20 AM   #43

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce H View Post
On a slightly different note I am convinced that 10% ethanol gasoline reduces fuel economy. I know it does absolutely nothing for the environment.
Bruce, Ethanol is a pet peeve of mine. It harms engines and has less energy per molecule. I won't even go into the corn for fuel vs corn for food argument, or the government subsidies we all pay for.

I wish ethanol would just go away. I have to travel 30 miles to a little small engine repair shop just to find ethanol free gasoline for my mowers, chain saws, pressure washer, etc. And, that ethanol free gas costs me over $6 per gallon. The only alternative is to take a road trip to Oklahoma to stock up, where lots of stations are ethanol free.
Old 11-26-2017, 10:37 AM   #44

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
Ethanol should NOT go away. It should be sold in bottles and beer cans only :-) Not as a gasoline additive.
Old 11-26-2017, 10:54 AM   #45

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
Bruce, Ethanol is a pet peeve of mine. It harms engines and has less energy per molecule. I won't even go into the corn for fuel vs corn for food argument, or the government subsidies we all pay for.

I wish ethanol would just go away. I have to travel 30 miles to a little small engine repair shop just to find ethanol free gasoline for my mowers, chain saws, pressure washer, etc. And, that ethanol free gas costs me over $6 per gallon. The only alternative is to take a road trip to Oklahoma to stock up, where lots of stations are ethanol free.
Living in a Midwest farm state where corn is the major crop , I see it from a different viewpoint. I bought ethanol free 92 octane premium gas last week for under $3 gallon. ( Chain saw , Snow blower ) The ethanol free gas is available at my local "Farmer's" coop which is located 4 miles from my home . If you have to travel 30 miles to get ethanol free gas , it's not the farmers fault.
I am also a big fan of bio diesel made from soybeans .

If I lived in texas my outlook may well be different .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 11:54 AM   #46

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
In Canada pump gas contains up to 10% ethanol. We look at it as "gasline antifreeze".
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 01:39 PM   #47

Montana
Nope, ethanol is not the farmers the fault. It's the fault of a topic which we won't discuss here.

I'd also prefer it wasn't in my fuel.
Old 11-26-2017, 02:00 PM   #48

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
Nope, ethanol is not the farmers the fault. It's the fault of a topic which we won't discuss here.

I'd also prefer it wasn't in my fuel.
My wife claims that everything is MY FAULT so feel free to blame me. I've been accused of far worse than ethanol and I have far more important things to contemplate.
Old 11-26-2017, 04:16 PM   #49

Montana
Well that would certainly make things easier
Old 11-26-2017, 05:53 PM   #50

Alberta
A wife that doesn't like ethanol? Go figure! Mine doesn't like it either. LOL!
Old 11-26-2017, 06:16 PM   #51

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I own a 2017 GMC Seirra extended cab 2wd, 6'6" bed with a 5.3L V8 engine and 6 speed transmission.
I have found that on my 2007 silverado and my new GMC the MPG averages computed by the computer are dead on to pencil and paper.
It keeps track of various mileages and constantly displays the highest for a 25 mile trip.
My new truck called for a 500 mile break in that I tried to follow that included 55 MPH tops
That was a royal pain but the all time highest was, drum roll please, 34.4 MPG driving at 55 mph
Towing our Casita on a almost 800 mile each way trip with three adults and a 17' Casita SD that I weighted at a tad under 3000#, two bikes, 2 generators and lots of bottled water was 17.0 going and 16.9 returning and that was at the posted speed limits.
I'm a firm believer in traveling on freeways at or near the speed limit so as not to be a hazard to other drivers.

I don't know if it has been mentioned but the manufacturers MPG ratings are done with non ethanol gasoline and have read that 10% ethanol reduces mileage 10%.

There has been a world of improvements made from my 07 Silverado to my 17 Seirra

As for non ethanol fuel in Central Ohio, a corn state you need to drive at least 100 miles to (a) marinas on the Ohio river or (b) to marinas on Lake Erie. I use $5.99 a QUART "Tru-Fuel" in my 2 cycle hedge clippers to avoid problems.

There are people starving in this world and we're using corn for motor fuel

Joe
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 06:38 PM   #52

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Romas View Post
There are people starving in this world and we're using corn for motor fuel

Joe
Could be worse. You could be using American cheese.

From Smithsonian.com
In its dairy market report for the week of April 25 to 29, the U.S. Department of Agriculture writes that “cheese vats across the country remain full in efforts to manage the plentiful milk supply….As stocks build, storage availability is becoming a concern.” Phrases like “milk oversupply” and “substantial rises” are rife in the report, which notes that the United States has a total of 725.7 million pounds of “natural American cheese”—real cheese, not the processed cheese product, made in the U.S.A.—and total natural cheese stocks of a whopping 1.191 billion pounds.
Read more: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-...7zqylBoszTa.99
Give the gift of Smithsonian magazine for only $12! http://bit.ly/1cGUiGv
Follow us: @SmithsonianMag on Twitter
Old 11-26-2017, 06:44 PM   #53

Alberta
Back in the mid '80s a local gasoline retailer was selling ethanol fuel for regular cars. I don't know if this was pure ethanol or high content ethanol gasoline. I tried a tank My vehicle ran really poorly and the fuel mileage was terrible. Never again!
Old 11-26-2017, 06:51 PM   #54

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Could be worse. You could be using American cheese.

From Smithsonian.com
In its dairy market report for the week of April 25 to 29, the U.S. Department of Agriculture writes that “cheese vats across the country remain full in efforts to manage the plentiful milk supply….As stocks build, storage availability is becoming a concern.” Phrases like “milk oversupply” and “substantial rises” are rife in the report, which notes that the United States has a total of 725.7 million pounds of “natural American cheese”—real cheese, not the processed cheese product, made in the U.S.A.—and total natural cheese stocks of a whopping 1.191 billion pounds.
Read more: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-...7zqylBoszTa.99
Give the gift of Smithsonian magazine for only $12! http://bit.ly/1cGUiGv
Follow us: @SmithsonianMag on Twitter
Glenn I propose a swap, 5 lbs of genuine Surplus American Cheese for 5 lbs of Canadian Bacon. It's a win win proposition !!
Old 11-26-2017, 06:55 PM   #55

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Glenn I propose a swap, 5 lbs of genuine Surplus American Cheese for 5 lbs of Canadian Bacon. It's a win win proposition !!
I was thinking you could drop a billion pounds of cheese on North Korea. Kill them with kindness.
Old 11-26-2017, 07:16 PM   #56

Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I was thinking you could drop a billion pounds of cheese on North Korea. Kill them with kindness.
No, we can keep the cheese. Drop Ethanol on 'em instead.
Old 11-26-2017, 07:45 PM   #57

NW Wisconsin
Maybe we can make ethanol out of American Cheese or possibly we can make American Cheese out of ethanol .
I personally have no / zero issues with ethanol / gasahol.
To me the whole thing is a lot about nothing .
E20 or E25 is common in other countries and soon may be common in the US . That's assuming that electric cars haven't taken over.
Old 11-26-2017, 08:59 PM   #58

Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I personally have no / zero issues with ethanol / gasahol. To me the whole thing is a lot about nothing .
But it's not 'nothing' Steve. The issues with gummed up carbs and small engine issues from using E10 or E15 Ethanol are well documented. I've used fuel stabilizers and additives galore trying to keep it from happening, but nothing really works except for not using Ethanol in the first place. To me it's incredibly frustrating to try and fire up a chainsaw or a weed whacker only to have to disassemble and clean out the carb or lines because the Ethanol screwed it up.

Using non-ethanol gas, I've eliminated those issues, but at a cost of tracking down the fuel and paying exhorbitant prices for it.
Old 11-26-2017, 09:27 PM   #59

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Ethanol in US fuels exist for one reason only: government mandate. If the mandate ever is eliminated, ethanol in fuel will disappear as well.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 02:14 AM   #60

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
Ethanol in US fuels exist for one reason only: government mandate. If the mandate ever is eliminated, ethanol in fuel will disappear as well.
Pressing the like button, I've had problems with it also.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eco