3.5 EcoBoost & Bigfoot 25RQ ??? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2018, 08:16 PM   #21

Name: Rich
Trailer: Escape
Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M. View Post
Rich, I own a 2016 F-150 Ecobeast with the trailer towing pkg. and tow a Bigfoot 25RQ (rear bedroom) and have had no issues pulling up hills or down hills. My trailer weighs about 6500 loaded with gear and all holding tanks empty. My Bigfoot also has the front deck box which adds an extra two feet to the tongue. I use an Equal-I-zer brand WDH and it rides nice and level with the stock setup, but I wanted to give it a little more beef in the rear end so I added a pair of Bilstein shocks and Sumo spring dampeners as well as a pair of Sumo super springs. Probably a little overkill on my part but it rides and handles beautifully. I have the Gen 1 engine (365 hp) with the 6 speed tranny. The Gen II Eco Boost has a little more horse power @ 375 and also a little more torque. Of course it has the new Ford/GM 10 speed tranny. Can't speak for the newer Ford set up but I'm really pleased with mine and I think you will be too!

Thanks for your real-world experience! Greatly appreciated.
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 05:43 AM   #22

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Yes Ford has a different frame for the max payload version. Thicker frame tubing, look it up at ford fleet.
thrifty bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 06:01 AM   #23

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
protection for them

don't think the manufactures don't play games on trailer tugging capacities? they underrate everything to protect themselves! I wouldn't be afraid of that ford truck at all with that trailer.

you have plenty of capacity in that truck! are you going to be king of the trailer gang on going up a hill probably not in the long scheme of things does it matter? very doubtful!

extra springs maybe! air bags maybe! you wont know until you get it hooked up for sure! no 3/4 ton needed!

I found hooking up our 13f scamper 100lb tongue weight it dropped our edge slightly air bags took care of it no wdh needed! edge is not a tow rated rig whatever that is I just ordered a hitch mounted it, hooked up the trailer lights and off we went to climb any mountain we have ran into. the edge is rated 1500lbs our scamper goes out at 1k!

our driving style when climbing mountains get behind a semi and follow him no big hurry! you will get there!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 07:12 AM   #24

Name: Rich
Trailer: Escape
Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post
don't think the manufactures don't play games on trailer tugging capacities? they underrate everything to protect themselves! I wouldn't be afraid of that ford truck at all with that trailer.

you have plenty of capacity in that truck! are you going to be king of the trailer gang on going up a hill probably not in the long scheme of things does it matter? very doubtful!

extra springs maybe! air bags maybe! you wont know until you get it hooked up for sure! no 3/4 ton needed!

I found hooking up our 13f scamper 100lb tongue weight it dropped our edge slightly air bags took care of it no wdh needed! edge is not a tow rated rig whatever that is I just ordered a hitch mounted it, hooked up the trailer lights and off we went to climb any mountain we have ran into. the edge is rated 1500lbs our scamper goes out at 1k!

our driving style when climbing mountains get behind a semi and follow him no big hurry! you will get there!

bob
All good points, Bob. Thanks. (Especially your point about under rating capacities over fears of law suits.)
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 08:30 AM   #25

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
ratings

I once saw an older couple with a 30f 5th wheel on a 1/2t dodge truck with a 6 cylinder it was old. I asked the gentleman how it towed he said no problem. the truck wasn't squatting either.

now for some this would be outrageous but I saw his view point he was in no hurry and he wasn't trying to impress anyone with a big shiny powerful truck he just got there!

at the campgrounds I see people driving 100k around with the truck and trailer maybe more. good for the ones that want to do this just not for me

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 08:44 AM   #26

Name: Perry
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ
Lanesboro, Minnesota, between Whalan and Fountain
We have a 2015 F150 XLT with 3.5 Ecoboost, with max tow package, and Blue Ox hitch, to pull our Bigfoot 25B25RQ. We do not have the front box, so loaded for camping, including full fresh water, it weighs about 6,200#'s. The hitch weighs around 900#'s according to our Sherline scale. We have 1,985#'s payload capacity on our door sticker, and besides us, just carry light items in the PU. We have no problem pulling our BF, including going up grades. We've added nothing to the suspension, the Blue Ox levels the trailer, sway is non-existent, stopping is quick, controlled, and accurate, plus our ride is smooth as silk.

Enjoy,

Perry

Previous Eggs -2018 Escape 5.0 TA, 2001 Scamp 16' Side Bath, 2007 Casita 17' Spirit basic, no bath, water or tanks, 2003 Bigfoot 25B25RQ, that we regreted selling
Perryb67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 06:39 PM   #27

Name: Bruce & Kathryn
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RQ
North Carolina
We just took possession of our new Bigfoot 25 foot rear queen with front cargo box, and weighed it at a truck stop CAT scale and with a buddy's aircraft scales. Axles are 5,680 and tongue is 1,200. MUCH heavier than published, but in line with a weight we saw in Trailer Weights in the Real World list. Dealer is switching out the 1,000/10,000 pound Equalizer hitch for the 1,200/12,000 pound model. We tow with a 2500 Chevy Duramax, so no issues with capacity. Not a lot heavier than our Oliver was but tongue weight is significant. Tows great.
Bruce Olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 07:11 PM   #28

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
Yes Ford has a different frame for the max payload version. Thicker frame tubing, look it up at ford fleet.
Thanx
You are right...but only one... and only on the new long box crewcab max payload .
(the one exception which proves the rule)

Heck with that truck you don't have to tow, the front bumper is at the destination before the rear bumper leaves the driveway!

Now back to the world of towing fiberglass trailers.
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 06:50 AM   #29

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Thanx
You are right...but only one... and only on the new long box crewcab max payload .
(the one exception which proves the rule)

)
They actually have three different frame thicknesses. Basic is 0.087, max payload is 0.11, which is over 25% thicker. They also have a 0.10 thickness (heavy duty). As an old manufacturing guy this must drive the factory nuts!

Six models come with this option. Long wheel base regular cab, long wheel base super cab and long wheel base super crew (each model in both 2WD and 4WD).

Its in this document, scroll down a lot of pages

https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas...-150-Specs.pdf
thrifty bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 12:22 PM   #30

Name: Dan
Trailer: 2017 Bigfoot 25B25RQ
California
We bought a 2017 25 RQ while we had our 2012 F150 Ecoboost 3.5. Added timbrens to cure the rear end sag. Mileage dropped from the 13's (towing an Escape 19) to the 9-11 mpg's.

Pulling hills was OK, but a lot of braking was needed on 6% downgrades in addition to the Tow Haul mode on the 6 speed transmission.

As others have answered your question, can you tow a 25' Bigfoot with a Ecoboost F150, yes you can.

That being said, we traded it for a RAM 2500 Cummins Turbo Diesel. It is much easier to tow, and has much more control over the trailer.

I am much happier towing a 25' Bigfoot with a 3/4 ton truck... ...except for the truck payments.
DeadEyeDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 10:36 AM   #31

Trailer: Bigfoot 21.5 ft (25B21RB)
When I got my Bigfoot 25 RQ, I was still driving my 2008 Ford F-150, (super-cab, 4WD, XLT model). I used that set-up for two years and went several thousand miles, including numerous mountain passes with no deal-breaking issues. But when it came time to trade in the old truck for a newer one, I found a deal on a 3/4 ton Chevy Silverado that I couldn't pass up. There is a noticeable difference in handling and ability to pull grades, so it was a good choice. That being said, if you already have the F-150 you plan to keep awhile, you will be fine to get the Bigfoot you want. I already learned one important fact reading this thread. I saw that one post states that towing a Bigfoot 25 with the Ford Eco-boost yielded about 10 mpg. That is about what I get with the 3/4 ton Chevy as well. So apparently the 3.5 Eco-boost only give a gas mileage advantage when not towing. The only reason I own a truck is for towing or hauling heavy loads. For personal transportation I prefer to use a 4 cylinder car. So a truck that has excellent gas mileage when empty is not really something I need.
David and Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 07:53 AM   #32

Name: Ed
Trailer: Bigfoot
California
We recently went through a similar dilemma. What vehicle to use to pull our 25b25rt Bigfoot? We owned a GMC 1/2 ton 6.5 V8 and all the stats suggested that it should do the job. But is was close. We pulled a similar weight trailer and the truck did handle the load. The terrain driven was mountainous. There was a definite lack of power going uphill. For us it came down to torque and comfort driving in the mountainous areas. We traded up to a GMC 3/4 ton diesel. There was no question that the truck would handle the load and then some. We are pleased with our decision. Much more comfortable ride. No strain on the uphill grades due to increased torque. Increased safety with engine assist brake on downhill grades. We just completed a 3,000 mile trip and averaged 14.6 mpg (although diesel is not cheap, especially in California). I really liked my 1/2 ton, it ran like a gem and in every other way perfect for our other needs. However, the increased torque and other safety features made this switch the right choice us. No regrets.
Dr C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 04:10 PM   #33

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Curious, what rear end ratio with the Ford are you considering? I know some people don't believe the 3:55 vs. 3:73 would have much effect, other than gas mileage, but ??? Higher gear ratio will give you more pulling power, especially with the 25RQ.

I'm sure there are others here that will say the 3:55 will be just fine. I prefer more torque and pulling power. I noticed a huge difference between my old Ford F150 and the 3:55 and my Chevy 3:73. But then I upgraded to a 3/4 ton too! No problem pulling.
JimKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 08:41 AM   #34

Name: Dale
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RQ
California
I might be a little late to answering your question, as I have absent from the site for a couple years traveling around in my 25RQ and F150 Lariat.
Yes, Lariat, fully loaded with all creature and safety comforts and features.

In mid 2015 we finally decided we wanted a 25RQ and ordered the pickup first. I ordered because I could not find what I wanted in stock anywhere in California. you already have yours so that issue is answered. You have a 3.5EB with 10 speed so it is a 2017 or 2018. Most likely it is tow rated and if it is should not be a problem. If you have towing package and it is rated 10,000 or more, not a problem.

I have been extremely happy with the pickup and trailer combination, having towed over 15,000 miles now.

Does it have enough power, I believe was your primary question?
Yes, plenty, more than adequate, will keep up with all the diesels I chase up and down hills and on the interstate.

Problem is not pushing it too hard on climbs as the power just keeps going but then heat becomes an issue and got to watch the temp.

I went back and forth between and F250 and the F150 and decided for the weight I was going to tow, the F150 would be adequate and safe, which has proven true to date. Of course, an F250-350 would handle it better as that is true in any case, a heavy duty pickup will handle anything better than a half ton.

If your questions have been answered and you are happy camper, great. If you have any questions about the combination, I would be happy to help.

Happy camping.
damueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 08:55 AM   #35

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Which style of Escape 5.0 TA has an actual tongue weight of 600 lbs ?
Every table I’ve seen has put the actual tongue and hitch weight between 800 to 950 lbs . If 950 lbs of payload with an Escape 5.0 TA was not a problem then why would a BF with 650 lbs of payload be an issue ?
I guess I am not understanding your guestion
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 01:07 PM   #36

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Registry
The Escape 5.0TA is a fifth wheel and Bigfoot trailers are all ball hitch towed. Two different types of hitches and capacities.

Regarding tow-ability, our 3100lb Bigfoot 17 brought a 2000 1/2 ton 5.3 4speed Silverado to a crawl going up steep grades. I was good for about 200-300 miles max per day due to the stress of staying out of other peoples way - especially truckers.

Fast forward to a 2016 Ram 3500 Cummins SRW and the stress factor is night and day.

Everybody has their own compression ratio.
Roger M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 02:01 PM   #37

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger M View Post

Fast forward to a 2016 Ram 3500 Cummins SRW and the stress factor is night and day.

Everybody has their own compression ratio.

Yes. It's really hard to convey in a meaningful way just how much better a Cummins pulls than a gas engine, or anything else I've driven.

Not only are they incredibly powerful, but they have a relaxed nature that masks just how much work they are doing. This all adds up to a relaxed trip. We never hold up traffic, can pass at will on upgrades, just hear a slow turning tractor sound and get good mileage during it all. Then, the engine brake is icing on the cake with it's brakesaving power.
Old 07-18-2018, 03:14 PM   #38

Name: Dan
Trailer: 2017 Bigfoot 25B25RQ
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
Yes. It's really hard to convey in a meaningful way just how much better a Cummins pulls than a gas engine, or anything else I've driven.

Not only are they incredibly powerful, but they have a relaxed nature that masks just how much work they are doing. This all adds up to a relaxed trip. We never hold up traffic, can pass at will on upgrades, just hear a slow turning tractor sound and get good mileage during it all. Then, the engine brake is icing on the cake with it's brakesaving power.

I couldn't agree more.

Though it was working harder, our 3.5 Ecoboost had the power to pull our trailer. But even in the Tow/Haul mode, gaining speed and riding the brakes down 6% grades was a bit nerve wracking. Will the brakes hold?

Don't even have to touch the brakes with the Cummins and the engine brake down 6% grades.
DeadEyeDan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot, eco