How to transport used trillium from Colorado to Nee Mexico. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2018, 05:09 PM   #1

Name: Karen
Trailer: 1975 1300 Trillium
Michigan
Registry
How to transport used trillium from Colorado to Nee Mexico.

we Are buying a used trillium from a seller in Colorado. Question. This trillium is from Maine where the owner originally bought it. the owner states that in Maine, you don’t need titles for over 10 year old trailers. He has a registration from there however. With his registration and a bill of sales, can we transport the vehicle from Colorado to New Mexico, then go to the dmv here to title and register it? How does this work? Can’t get very good info on the NM dmv website. Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks. Karen
Old 10-30-2018, 06:04 PM   #2

Michigan
Registry
I want to add, is this issue with no title a big one? It’s a 1975 and the seller lived in Maine when he bought it and has a history of the previous owners. He has now moved to Colorado. He didn’t need a title in Maine and probably didn’t bother with Colorado? I’ll ask him. I think it’s a legit deal. I’ saw his ad on this website and he has done a lot of work on the trailer. Where do I go to find out how to get a title if one is needed? Thanks again.
Old 10-30-2018, 06:08 PM   #3
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Your local DMV office. They set the rules you have to satisfy to get plates. Can't do EVERYTHING online...........

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 06:10 PM   #4

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Nee Mexico DMV can tell you. Too bad the web site didn't help you. As painful as it might be to visit them, that might be what you should do. Go to the DMV office and tell them the situation and ask what is needed. Take names.

And hopefully someone here will have gone through the same thing and can help, but if not.. off to DMV.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 06:46 PM   #5

Name: Benjamin
Trailer: Trillium 1300
California
You will be fine. It's basically the same as registering a used car in different state. The real difficulty comes when crossing from Canada into the US without the exactly correct paperwork. I went through this. It's uncommon enough that no one quite knows what to do with you, and the rules are enforced inconsistently.

So A LOT depends on the person who happens to be at the DMV counter calling you at that moment. Go talk to them first, and don't bring the trailer. Get a clear set of requirements. Ask that they run it by their supervisor to confirm. Write it all down, etc.

In general, DMV offices just want your money. In California titles for vintage travel trailers are sort of optional. If you have the registration you are fine. But if you want to pay them more money to get a title they are happy to take your cash. On the other end of the spectrum, the state of Maine doesn't issues titles at all for trailers that are 1995 or older. And none of these offices care about the full chain of custody. They just want to go one step back, in other words who you bought it from. When you don't even have that, if you inherited it from grandpa's garage, then things get tricky.

Side note for future readers: The state of Maine does a brisk business in truck and trailer registration, because their fees are among the lowest. Lots of large long-haul fleets register all their trucks in Maine, even though they are on the road interstate all the time. This grates on other state DMVs, which don't like the revenue loss. And Maine doesn't care a whit about import paperwork, as long as you have a bill of sale. There are companies that that will do this for you, even if you are an out-of-state individual. I worked with Staab Agency (easy to find online) to get Maine registration and plates for my trailer, which I had purchased in the US from a carefree Canadian with no import paperwork. In the end, the whole process was painless. I just sent Staab a check for about $100. So now I have Maine plates for a year. When it's time to renew, I'll do it in my own state, just telling the DMV I brought it here from Maine, still in my own name. Cops don't seem to care about the out of state plates. They just assume you're a travelin' man.
fantasyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 07:06 PM   #6

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
In California we go to the auto club to deal with these type problems. Unless your buying the trailer from the origional owner in maine you can have real problems. Some one will want their tax money paid.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 09:29 AM   #7

Name: Bob
Trailer: Scamp
South Dakota
Do the paper work search BEFORE you buy and transport the trailer. Best would be to get the owner to go to his DMV and get a title, if he can't get one chances are you won't either. Save yourself some headache.
Stubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 09:49 AM   #8

Michigan
Registry
We are going to New Mexico DMV today to get some clarity. We are considered residents of Michigan, and only stay in New Mexico for the winter. We are putting a call into Michigan DMV to see if we can register it there by mail. Michigan is similar to Maine. Any travel trailer that weighs less than 2,500 #'s only needs registration and not a title, although you can apply for one. I'll let everyone know what we find out in case someone else ends up in this situation.
Old 10-31-2018, 10:04 AM   #9

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbingel View Post
We are going to New Mexico DMV today to get some clarity. We are considered residents of Michigan, and only stay in New Mexico for the winter. ...
Then dont even bother with NM DMV.. only Michigan DMV. Your vehicle in registered in Michigan I assume. So will be the trailer.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 10:47 AM   #10

Michigan
Registry
Agree. Just put in a call there. Easy. Done by mail. Only need bill of sales and original Maine registration. Permenant plate plus title only costs 90.00. Plus 6% tax on cost. As for driving it here, I think our bill of sales and registration sign over will do what needed if for some reason we are stopped en route. Thanks all for your input.
kbingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 11:41 AM   #11

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
"We are putting a call into Michigan DMV to see if we can register it there by mail. Michigan is similar to Maine. Any travel trailer that weighs less than 2,500 #'s only needs registration and not a title, although you can apply for one."

For Michigan Secretary of State, this is incorrect, although an inexperienced employee mistakenly mis-categorized our camper this way, then we had to go back and get it corrected. In Michigan, any non-camper trailer under 2500# does not need to be titled. On the other hand, if you can sleep in the trailer (category = trailer coach), it requires a title regardless of size. Here's the rule:

"A trailer weighing less than 2,500 pounds is exempt from titling but must be registered (a title may be issued on request). All trailer coaches must be titled and registered."

I believe the total cost was less for trailer coach category (title+registration+permanent plate) vs the trailer category (registration+permanent plate) when we got the paperwork for the Trillium 4500.
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 11:52 AM   #12

Michigan
Registry
Luckily the employee I spoke to gave me her name to reference when sending in the info required. So anyone who ends up receiving our paperwork can ask her about it. Yes. It’s going to be titled. Cost $15.00 to do it. BTW...The NM DMV said they could title it for us but not register it since we don’t have perminant residency here. Makes sense. So Michigan it is. Interestingly, both DMV’s looked at the Maine requirements and based how they dealt with the new registration and title on that information. IE, since Maine doesn’t title them, it was no big deal to get a title in Michigan with registration and bill of sales only.
kbingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 12:06 PM   #13

Michigan
Registry
Karen, as I recall registration and permanent plate charge (trailer coach category) was $50-75 cheaper than the registration charge (trailer category).
Old 10-31-2018, 12:08 PM   #14

Michigan
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbingel View Post
Luckily the employee I spoke to gave me her name to reference when sending in the info required. So anyone who ends up receiving our paperwork can ask her about it. Yes. It’s going to be titled. Cost $15.00 to do it. BTW...The NM DMV said they could title it for us but not register it since we don’t have perminant residency here. Makes sense. So Michigan it is. Interestingly, both DMV’s looked at the Maine requirements and based how they dealt with the new registration and title on that information. IE, since Maine doesn’t title them, it was no big deal to get a title in Michigan with registration and bill of sales only.
That's good to know!
Old 10-31-2018, 12:26 PM   #15

Michigan
Registry
Looking at my Trillium and the MI website, it appears the fees are the same regardless of category. Just as you said, $15 title, $75 registration and permanent plate, 6% sales tax. I apologize for the confusion.
Old 10-31-2018, 05:36 PM   #16

Michigan
Registry
Thanks John

All is well and set. Ultimately, this ended up being easier than I first thought. Even the whole title business. Thanks al for the input. Picking up our new to us, 1975 Trillium this Saturday. Will go on the other boards with loads of questions I’m sure. It’s great to be back on the fiberglass forum. We sold our Oliver 4 years ago. Now to trillium world.

Tags
trillium