Boler Mods. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2005, 01:08 AM   #1
Con

Trailer: 1977 Boler 1300
For those of you that may be interested, I have uploaded a large batch of photos to
Webshots for viewing of the numerous mods I have made to our 1977 Boler 1300.
Check out at: http://community.webshots.com/user/con111
If any one has any questions about some of the materials or techniques I used, please ask.
Con is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 08:18 AM   #2
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Wow, Con, I'm going to have to devote some study time to those pictures. It looks to me like you've really done some work.

I am especially interested in your door repair with the aluminum framing. At first, I though you had constructed a custom fitted screen door, then I realized that it was a very effective and professional repair.
Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 08:33 AM   #3

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
Con, re: your picture of the 1977 Boler tail lights on your webshots album.

Those red lenses look identical to the round lenses on my '81 Burro. Can you tell me if in fact they are Reflect-o-lite 110-150 tail lights? (6 7/8" dia.) This is seen across the top of the lens as part of the molded shape. If that is the case, is there a Boler replacement supplier for this that you know of?

Nice collection, nice job!
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 08:50 AM   #4

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
Quote:
Con, re: your picture of the 1977 Boler tail lights on your webshots album.
those lights are almost impossible to come by, I found three last year and they went to forum members for a donation to the site. I would suggest looking up rv salvage yards and see if you have any luck.

or rv dealers that have been around forever

or maybe send a note to reflect-o-lite and see if they might have a case or two tucked away somewhere.
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 09:03 AM   #5

Trailer: 1978 Trillium 13 ft
Con, that is great what you did with the door. What did you use to bond the aluminum frame to the fiberglass? I'm wondering if a screen door could be made like that for our trailers. You did a fantastic job.
Steve DeWeese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 12:25 PM   #6
Con

Hi all,
The tail lights are 7"dia. Grote 60 diaode cartidges, Part no.53422 from Peterbuilt Pacific Inc.
at $86.52 ea. plus taxes. They are totally sealed and are guaranteed for 100,000 hours. They are so bright they almost blind the driver behind you at night.
Having had a number of horse and snowmobile trailers over the years and the lights never working when you go to use them these are the greatest invention since sliced bread.
I used a big piece of carboard and scribed the body outline onto it for a template. The frame its self is fabbed from one 20ft. length of 1"sq. alum tubing (1/8"wall) Just enough to do the whole thing! The tabs and plates are from scraps of 1/8"& 1/4" I had. I bought a 12 ton bottle jack tubing bender from Princess Auto and carfully bent the tubing to match my template.
When I had it to shape and all the pieces cut I had a shop weld it up.
Then I bought a tube of Silkaflex-291 Fast Cure Marine Adhesive/Sealant & Bedding Compound from a marine supply. This product is used by alum. boat manufacturers to glue alum. boats together rather then welding them. I tried several construction type adhesives but they were usless compared to this product. I only used about half a tube to glue the 2 skins to the frame. Man does that stuff bond!
Alum. square tubing- $50
Tube bender- $269(I took it back)
Adhesive- $12
Welding frame- $50
Fiberglass, Bondo and paint- $20

Hope this helps
Old 12-04-2005, 12:26 PM   #7
Con

Joe, I have no idea what you are talking about!
Old 12-04-2005, 12:30 PM   #8
Con

Some time ago I saw a thread on this forum for a folding screen door one guy built for his Burro or Boler. It was the best of any I had seen and I was going to build one but haven't got around to it. I still have some pics of it if any one is interested.
Old 12-04-2005, 12:54 PM   #9

Trailer: 1978 Trillium 15 ft
Send a message via ICQ to Ken James
Good job Con! I enjoy watching new generations discover the joy of these little glass trailers. I have had one on and off for over 30 years. Thanks for sharing so many pictures. That is what helps others. Take a bow.
Ken James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 01:16 PM   #10
Con

When my wife and I lived in North Vancouver back in 1980 we looked at the new Bolers at the dealers in Richmond. We were always interested in them. As it turned out I think that was the last year they were produced. I don't think the where made in 81. If memory serves me right I think the price at that time was $5500
This summer while we were in Armstong we priced out same of the Bigfoot 15 & 17ft. trailers as my wife would like a bathroom. We had stickers shock. The base prices was just over $25,000, end up about $30,00 by the time you get a few extras and the taxes. You can guess what our discision was!
So we keep this little egg. With all the mods and so on we have about $6000 into it.
I am trying to keep it as close to original as possable.
Old 12-04-2005, 01:46 PM   #11
Con

I have added the pics of the screen door design to my Webshots collection. Suz or Donna may remember who put those up on the forum abour a year ago. This is the neatest arrangement of a screen door for a small space I have seen.
I will periodically post more picutures on some of the smaller detailing I did on the Boler.
Old 12-04-2005, 06:06 PM   #12

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
Con,

I see by your album pictures the front window over the propane tank is a single pane window. Assuming that's a new addition and if so could you tell me please how you like it? I mean do you miss having a window that opens at all?

Where can I get one? If it was Sunbelt Industries in Summerland, B.C., I couldn't find them online. Could you tell me how to contact them?

Looking good!
Myron
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 06:40 PM   #13
Con

That is the original Plexglas front window. That and the rear one have not been changed. I don't recall seeing any Bolers with a front opening window. I was going to order some tinted Plexy to match the other windows but my wife says I have spent enough on this project. So like a good husband I do as I am told,HeHe
I gave you a bum steer.
It was Sun-view Industries Ltd.
15915 Bentley Place
Box 1229
Summerland,B.C.
Ph: 250-494-1327
Fax: 4944-9221
Email: sunviewindustries@telus.net
http://www.rv-windows.com/phorm/x-widgets.html
The side windows are Item No. 2226SLT-22 3/4"x26 3/4"Slider tint RI L&R- approx. $147.50ea.
The stove window is Item No.1018STL-10"x18" Tint left- approx.$89.40
I can't find my invoice for the door window but I think it was 15"x18"
They come c/w screens but no polybutal tape or mounting screws.
They tape and screws are inexspensive. Sunview has made many for Bolers.
Old 12-05-2005, 08:29 AM   #14

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
sorry Con, the note about the lights was for Myron, the wedding cake lights are almost impossible to come across
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 11:49 AM   #15
Con

No problem Joe, BTW I was planning on selling the original tail lights and windows, I just haven't decided on for how much. Since I changed the light and windows and made a couple of trips I am totally convinced that was the way to go.
Old 12-05-2005, 03:46 PM   #16

Trailer: 1978 Trillium 13 ft
Thanks for the info. I wasn't trying to change the subject about the door. I've seen many of designs for a screen door on this site, but as I was looking at your photos I was just thinking. I may or may not try to do something like what you did. I have been collecting a lot of ideas and parts. With any luck I will have the trailer done by June, I have to because Ellie is upset about the way it looks.
Steve DeWeese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 04:32 PM   #17
Con

Hi Steve, I guess your wife has determined what your priories are. HeHe. I don't know if I will build a screen door yet. When we have been down in the Okanagan in the summer months it may run 32 to 40C but is not bad at night when we have the door closed. The Boler has been quite comfortacle with all the windows open. I think if it was painted white would be even better. The screen door would be good if you are in a area where there are lots of mosquitos. I did notice a couple of evenings when I did leave the door open that we had a kinds of little flying creatures inside.
One thing I have to do yet is install some screens on the outside fridge & stove vents.
I which the guy who desiged that door would pop up again as I would like some more details on his screen door.
Old 12-05-2005, 04:35 PM   #18
Con

BTW Steve, My grandfather was born in a little town down river called Waterford in 1847. He and his brothers later were in the Iowa 7th Calavary in Nebraska. Have you been in the Waterford area?
Old 12-05-2005, 04:40 PM   #19

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
I which the guy who desiged that door would pop up again as I would like some more details on his screen door.
Here's one of the best on the web, screen door for Trilliums. You'll get a good idea of what's needed and how to go about it for any egg.

Gord100's Wooden Screen Door
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 11:16 PM   #20
Con

Hi Donna, Gord did a very nice job of his and good pics of his project. However I still think I would go for the bifold style as it would fold up against the closet wall when not in use.

But thanks anyway.

I added some more photos at Webshots.

Tags
boler