72 Boler chassis build, trailer refurbish - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2014, 12:05 AM   #1

Name: ronnie
Trailer: boler
Arizona
72 Boler chassis build, trailer refurbish

Here I start on a new adventure. Boler trailer resto? refurbish.

It all started with a Little Gasser tent trailer which we love except when it rains. Well one of my friends got a Scamp and brought it to a camp out where we were and it started to rain, the worse it had in 50 years, We had to totaly cover the tent trailer with tarps to stay dry ad my friend in his Scamp was dry as a bone.

So my search started for a Scamp, then I see that Boler and other brands were pretty much the same. I found a Boler advertised on this site and got an e-mail alert and jumped on this, for 450 dollars with a title how could I go wrong!

It was 500 miles from me and the guy had a ton of interest, lucky for me he banked at the same bank I do so I did a money transfer before anyone else showed up. The next day a friend of mine went and picked it up for me and a week later delivered it down to where I'm at. I was stoked.

Well he arrived and it was exactley as the pics showed except for the chassis which was broken in 2 places and go towed down 500 miles with only 1 of the tongue rails still intact. The springs were corroded solid and didn't move etc.

SO, I decided to do it right and pulled the body off the frame and built a new one. I will post pics and info on how, where and when I got parts and made the frame and more pics as I repair and update the trailer to our specs and safety concerns
ronnies boler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 11:08 AM   #2

Name: ronnie
Trailer: boler
Arizona
Here's a couple pics of the new chassis I built for my 72 Boler. The original was broken, cracked and bent and was to far gone for me to revive. Built this using /120 instead of .080 steel and am adding a Flex ride adjustable torsion axle. Picked Flexride over Dexter due to the adjustabbility of the toraion arms on the Flexride, also the customer service was WAY better with Flexride over Dexter. I ordered direct from the factory, no middle man means no mistakes. Ordered on 2/29 and it shipped on 3/4. Now that is service!!!

ronnies boler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 06:20 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
looking great Ronnie!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 06:30 PM   #4

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Looks good Ronnie.
Although this is in hindsight after seeing your picture, it is also a foresight suggestion. If you extend the floorpan structure with a box forward you can easily do the front dinette mod or have more room under bench for a porta potti.
This became standard on the later model years.

I'd also consider reinforcing the floor pan area a bit more to compensate for the original cuts in the frame to allow the lowered entry for the door.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler