First post - Subaru Ascent and Casita 17 - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-14-2019, 10:46 AM   #21

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up / 2004 Dodge Dakota QuadCab and 2008 Subaru Outback
Registry
If you like your Outback, you can now get a 3500/350 rating with the optional turbo engine (same engine as the Ascent) for 2020. Standard base limit is now 2700/270.
I wouldn't recommend a 350 tongue weight limit for a 17' Casita, as they seem to be a bit on the heavier side for tongue weights, but a 350 lb tongue weight limit could certainly work on a 16' Casita, Scamp, and possibly a 17' Escape.
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 04:23 PM   #22

Name: Ron
Trailer: Casita
Oregon
Registry
Great combo

We’ve been towing our 17’ Casita with the 5K pound Ascent for multiple trips across the Cascades In Oregon.
Far greater torque than either the prior GMC V6 Acadia or V6 Ford Explorer And an average 19/20 mpg combined mileage on trips. Ave 17 actual tow mpg.
Ron in Gresham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 07:55 PM   #23

Name: Iris
Trailer: A-Liner Dreaming of Casita
Florida
That is very interesting news, thank you! I really like driving the Outback, and would switch to Ascent only for the 5000 lb towing capacity, but don't need 8 seats. Will now want to check other options than the 17 ft Casita and compare weights, construction etc., for the 3500 lb towing capacity of the 2020 Outback. Tongue weight is always a consideration for me, and I prefer safety margins over cutting it close.
Iris in Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 08:00 PM   #24

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in Gresham View Post
We’ve been towing our 17’ Casita with the 5K pound Ascent for multiple trips across the Cascades In Oregon.
Far greater torque than either the prior GMC V6 Acadia or V6 Ford Explorer And an average 19/20 mpg combined mileage on trips. Ave 17 actual tow mpg.
Thank you for sharing your experience. Today I followed a white Ascent on I-75 with my white Outback; looked like a bigger brother with the same good proportions! The decision will be based on driving performance. Of course I just found out about an Outback version with more towing power; that would need a lighter egg!
Old 09-17-2019, 02:12 PM   #25

Name: Tracy
Trailer: Scamp 13, 1980
AZ
I find this discussion interesting, because I recently bought a Subaru Outback (the 4 cyl 2.5l version) and then a Subaru Tribeca (the 2008 version of what is now the Ascent -- 6 cyl and mine has a 7-pin connector and a transmission cooler on it) to tow my Scamp 13 (weighs about 1,400 lbs and I did add brakes and an Autowbrake controller). I bought the Outback based on the standard info re tow rating and then found out, after I bought it, that the manual said that towing capacity applied only if you have trailer brakes and if you are willing to go up mountains in the summer at a maximum of 35 (? not sure, now, could have been 45) mph. Since I wanted to tow it up and down mountains in the extreme heat of summer in AZ, I decided to give up the Outback and got the Tribeca. I have hauled the Scamp up to 7,500 feet twice now with the Tribeca, up and down a lot of LOOOOONG mountain grades, and I think it did very well. I don't know if they have made improvements to the new Ascent over the old Tribeca, but I would probably trust it with a similar set up. I think a transmission cooler is probably fairly cheap insurance -- I would hate to be the one on the side of the steep mountain grade with my hood up and my trailer parked behind it. I also recommend looking up the manual on line before you buy and read all about towing with whatever vehicle you buy.
TracyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 06:49 AM   #26

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracyG View Post
I find this discussion interesting, because I recently bought a Subaru Outback (the 4 cyl 2.5l version) and then a Subaru Tribeca (the 2008 version of what is now the Ascent -- 6 cyl and mine has a 7-pin connector and a transmission cooler on it) to tow my Scamp 13 (weighs about 1,400 lbs and I did add brakes and an Autowbrake controller). I bought the Outback based on the standard info re tow rating and then found out, after I bought it, that the manual said that towing capacity applied only if you have trailer brakes and if you are willing to go up mountains in the summer at a maximum of 35 (? not sure, now, could have been 45) mph. Since I wanted to tow it up and down mountains in the extreme heat of summer in AZ, I decided to give up the Outback and got the Tribeca. I have hauled the Scamp up to 7,500 feet twice now with the Tribeca, up and down a lot of LOOOOONG mountain grades, and I think it did very well. I don't know if they have made improvements to the new Ascent over the old Tribeca, but I would probably trust it with a similar set up. I think a transmission cooler is probably fairly cheap insurance -- I would hate to be the one on the side of the steep mountain grade with my hood up and my trailer parked behind it. I also recommend looking up the manual on line before you buy and read all about towing with whatever vehicle you buy.
Outback CVT tows 2700 which drops to 1350 when it's 104 F outside and a continuously long uphill grade of 5 miles is ahead! I want an app for that! Tongue weight stays at 200! And GVWR is 4585. Had no issues when towing my 10 ft A-Liner through Colorado and Utah, but did experience some heavier rigs slowly struggling uphill, not good for anyone. Lots of data to consider before buying an Ascent, or maybe the 2020 Outback, which is said to tow 3500. Anyone knows where to find the manuals? On top of that, I need to consider the weight of the 16 and 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe. I would really like to keep my future Casita at home, and the carport is 8'2". It's a fun puzzle, and the pieces need to fit.
Old 09-18-2019, 07:12 AM   #27

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
First post - Subaru Ascent and Casita 17

I am very curious whether the limitation on towing long grades in hot weather applies to the new models. It appears Subaru is now using the J2807 tow testing standard, which requires a long climb in hot weather without excessive heat build-up in engine or transmission. If the new vehicles meet the standard, that restriction should go away.

I would certainly want to give the owner’s manual a careful read before purchasing one of these vehicles.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 08:09 AM   #28

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I am very curious whether the limitation on towing long grades in hot weather applies to the new models. It appears Subaru is now using the J2807 tow testing standard, which requires a long climb in hot weather without excessive heat build-up in engine or transmission. If the new vehicles meet the standard, that restriction should go away.

I would certainly want to give the owner’s manual a careful read before purchasing one of these vehicles.
Yes! Are these manuals on line?
Old 09-18-2019, 08:32 AM   #29

Name: Tracy
Trailer: Scamp 13, 1980
AZ
Yes, the manuals are available on line. Just do a search for the one you need.
TracyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 10:20 AM   #30

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracyG View Post
Yes, the manuals are available on line. Just do a search for the one you need.
Am learning a lot from being able to access manuals. Air cooled transmission is needed to fully use towing capacity!
Old 09-18-2019, 08:09 PM   #31

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up / 2004 Dodge Dakota QuadCab and 2008 Subaru Outback
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iris in Florida View Post
Am learning a lot from being able to access manuals. Air cooled transmission is needed to fully use towing capacity!
Only need the air cooled transmission cooler for the higher tow capacity, which comes standard when you opt for the higher tow capacity. Base Outback is 2,700, and base Ascent is 2,000.
Old 09-18-2019, 08:20 PM   #32

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iris in Florida View Post
Outback CVT tows 2700 which drops to 1350 when it's 104 F outside and a continuously long uphill grade of 5 miles is ahead! I want an app for that! Tongue weight stays at 200! And GVWR is 4585. Had no issues when towing my 10 ft A-Liner through Colorado and Utah, but did experience some heavier rigs slowly struggling uphill, not good for anyone. Lots of data to consider before buying an Ascent, or maybe the 2020 Outback, which is said to tow 3500. Anyone knows where to find the manuals? On top of that, I need to consider the weight of the 16 and 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe. I would really like to keep my future Casita at home, and the carport is 8'2". It's a fun puzzle, and the pieces need to fit.
I recall the older Outbacks had the hot weather hill climbing limits, but don't see the same warning for the 2020 Outbacks. The 2020 Outback has either a 270 lb or 350 lb tongue weight limit, depending on engine. You can go to subaru.com and click on the "for owners" tab to get any of the manuals.
Old 09-20-2019, 03:53 PM   #33

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar1 View Post
If you like your Outback, you can now get a 3500/350 rating with the optional turbo engine (same engine as the Ascent) for 2020. Standard base limit is now 2700/270.
I wouldn't recommend a 350 tongue weight limit for a 17' Casita, as they seem to be a bit on the heavier side for tongue weights, but a 350 lb tongue weight limit could certainly work on a 16' Casita, Scamp, and possibly a 17' Escape.
Thanks for mentioning the 2020 Subaru Outback; reducing my 17 ft Casita aspirations to a 16 ft Casita would have an additional important benefit: my carport is 8'2", and I am told that the 16 will fit underneath - that would be great, since city code requires no camper in front, and my old house has no space on the sides.

Tags
casita