VIN location on an '82 Casita 13' - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2019, 08:43 AM   #1

Name: Stephen
Trailer: Casita 13'
Oregon
Question VIN location on an '82 Casita 13'

I've searched online and looked in the recommend places on the trailer (most are general, not Casita specific). I can't find it and I need to find it for Oregon VIN verification. We are transferring our own titled camper from Ohio to Oregon. The VIN (actually this one is older so it is in serial number format) is listed on the Ohio title but I can't find it on the camper..

Does anyone know where it is? I get that I might have to do some scraping/sanding to get down to it but a good starting location would be helpful...

If anyone has one of this era and would be willing to share a photo of the location that would be super helpful..

thank you

-steve
SC_cols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 09:22 AM   #2
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Mine was engraved in the drivers side A-frame member forward of the fiberglass. Had to take it to Oregon DMV for them to verify it against the title.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 09:27 AM   #3

Name: Stephen
Trailer: Casita 13'
Oregon
Thanks Charlie
I've looked in that area. Will look some more..

I need a rubbing of the VIN just to get a trip permit so I can take this thing to the DMV to get the VIN verification..
SC_cols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 10:01 AM   #4
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Might give Casita a call. Could be helpful to have an axle serial number to confirm their VIN record. They may be willing to send you a new plate to attach.

Don't know when they started doing it, but they do keep a history of each trailer build on file.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 10:59 AM   #5

Name: Alan
Trailer: 1983 Casita & 1972 home-built
Oregon
Our '83 Casita 13 was licensed in Michigan when we bought it from a couple in Bend, Oregon. The Michigan plate was eternal, so they had hung onto it.

Could not find any VIN anywhere; the Casita factory folk said it was originally an adhesive sticker placed on the side of the frame up near the tongue and good luck finding that after all these years.

Took the trailer and Michigan title to the Springfield DMV, where they inspected the trailer to verify the absence of the original VIN sticker, and then issued an assigned Oregon VIN for the trailer. It took 20 minutes to get the trailer re-licensed and they handed me the new plate at the end.

The very helpful DMV lady was emphatic that trailer theft is very common and we should have the new Oregon VIN welded onto the frame in two places, as well as keep the trailer locked up at all times.

We also bought an original VIN sticker from Casita, but it has no legal standing in Oregon, it's just a vintage item at this point.
ARVZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 11:31 AM   #6

Name: Larry
Trailer: Casita17'Spirit Deluxe (aka: Tweaker's Casita)
Southwest Ohio
Registry
VIN Location on 2007 Casita Spirit Deluxe

My 2007 Casita has two "tags" with VIN information:
  • A sticker on the fiberglass at ground level on the driver's side below the bath window
  • A metal plate rivited to the tongue below the propane tanks on the driver's side

In Ohio, in order to register a vehicle from out of state, an "inspection" is required to visually compare the VIN on the vehicle to the VIN on the title being transferred. Back in 1970, that "inspection" was done by a car dealer; last year, when I registered my Casita here in Ohio, that inspection was done by one of the deputy registrar's offices using the sticker. If your Casita was titled in Ohio, at one point in its life, there must have been a sticker or a tag......
Attached Thumbnails
Casita VIN Sticker Redacted.jpg   Casita VIN Plate Redacted.jpg  

LarryB. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 01:22 PM   #7

Name: sven
Trailer: Casita
FL
Buy a set of stamps/dies at harbor freight and have at it with a 2lb hammer. Have done this once on a pop up 72 Coleman, had original bill of sale , couldn't a vin so stamped the frame before a repaint. Have also done this on a 58 Triumph. Had title and # matched motor but non on frame. USVI DMV needed a frame #.... https://www.harborfreight.com/36-Pie...Set-63676.html
mosquito13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita, vin