Musing from a new Scamp owner - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2016, 01:41 PM   #41

Name: Kenji
Trailer: Scamp
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
That's easily solved by putting the stopper in the shower pan in preparation of towing. My 1988 is the same way. Easy/peasy and no mess.
For the time, I got an expanding boat plug for the shower floor. The stock stopper/strainer didn't seal at all. Doesn't help that the drain was rusty inside.

Glad to be rid of all of that mess in there though!
KenjiFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 02:05 PM   #42

Name: Ann
Trailer: 2016 Scamp 13'
Washington
Oh my, I picked up my brand new Scamp 13' on a day it was 5 degrees outside, and it was three days before we were in weather above freezing. I think this may be one reason they test the water system with 'air' instead of water!
Triker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 02:34 PM   #43

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
That's easily solved by putting the stopper in the shower pan in preparation of towing. My 1988 is the same way. Easy/peasy and no mess.
Donna, does your 1988 model have the same floor I described? Or does it have the molded fiberglass shower pan?

I'm still trying to figure out if Scamp just used to do their showers the way mine was. I hope not, there wasn't even any slope towards the drain. Just a flat fiberglass sheet over a board!
Old 04-14-2016, 02:55 PM   #44

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenjiFox View Post
Donna, does your 1988 model have the same floor I described? Or does it have the molded fiberglass shower pan?

I'm still trying to figure out if Scamp just used to do their showers the way mine was. I hope not, there wasn't even any slope towards the drain. Just a flat fiberglass sheet over a board!
It has a molded fiberglass shower pan just like is in current use. What it doesn't have is the laminate on the wall. My Scamp has a pebbly ensolite product. The drain isn't metal either, it's plastic that's been chromed. I'm very careful to not step on it as I fear cracking it.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 02:58 PM   #45

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpfick View Post
4. Many pieces of edging was missing where drawer and door cut outs were made in the fiberglass cabinetry.

I found that they put the trim on the exposed edges where you would otherwise cut your hand on the raw fiberglass cut, but not on the hinge side. So perhaps you are not missing as much as you think. In fact I took the microwave shelf door off because it was just in the way and then got some trim to cover the side where the door hinges used to be.

And luckily this is also an easy fix as long as you carefully cut the corners to fit tight. I'm sure Scamp would gladly send the trim pieces under warranty.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 03:09 PM   #46

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
It has a molded fiberglass shower pan just like is in current use. What it doesn't have is the laminate on the wall. My Scamp has a pebbly ensolite product. The drain isn't metal either, it's plastic that's been chromed. I'm very careful to not step on it as I fear cracking it.
Thank you kindly, it really seems like mine was some odd job after thought conversion to a wet bathroom. The two main walls also have an orange print on them (including the inside of the door) of leaves and twigs. While it isn't that strange, I am also not sure if that is stock or not. That probably is though.
Old 04-14-2016, 03:44 PM   #47

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
25 and counting

I sit here on the couch of my now 25 year old Scamp in amazement. Honestly it has held up better than anything I've ever owned. We travel 7 months a year and basically it just works and works. Of course it has it little problems and I mean little.

I hear people complain about the marine fabric. Ours is 25 years old and looks absolutely great. I can't imagine hardly any surface standing up so well. We cook inside every day at least once and usually twice, and one of those meals usually includes bacon. Nothing seems to bother the surface and spot cleans immediately with a little Bio-Kleen (Amazon has it).

Probably the real test of it's age is all the people who stop by and just don't believe it's 25 years old. Of course it has it's little chips.

Certainly I could complain about this and that, something I might design differently or better. I've done some of it and it's added to an old rig, but it's core's the same as the day it was first made, some elements strengthened, even some replaced. It's sort of like Ginny, she's gotten older but I love her more for her core.

It's easy to be critical, to see the negative.

As we drive to Maine before we head to NL, I try to amuse Ginny by finding fun Lunch places, something different or special. Yesterday we stopped we stopped in Crisfield, MD at Janes Island State Park (they give half price discounts to seniors if you get a MD card).

There's literally a dive in Crisfield, Gordons. Most people would never stop their. The previous owner worked their 74 years. The windows and mirrors haven't been cleaned in forever. I almost asked for a job, feeling I'd like to return it to it's glory.

Ginny will tell you their Vanilla milk shake is from 50 years ago, "they just don't make them this way any more". I'll tell you their store made Cherry coke is excellent. I did not try a Zip or a cherry coke with a shot of ammonia (supposed to cure anything) but I will next time. The girl who served us was the former owner's great niece.

Some things have staying power. We can look for warts, there usually there somewhere.

I walk every day with an 84 year old man, my friend Tony. Tony begins every day with exercises, raisin bran, dries the dishes and comes and gets me for our 2 mile walk promptly at 8 AM. He takes a nap every day fro 12-1, has a cookie break at 10 and 2 and wine from 4-5.

One of Tony's sayings is "If you look took closely at people you won't have any friends".

I know a world walk around. I love my Scamp. It takes me every where I want to go at a relatively low cost, keeping me continually warm and dry. Today a level loosened after probably 25 years, I fixed it and smiled.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 04:00 PM   #48

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
I can't complain about my Scam.
That is because basically I bought kit of the shell, 1/2 of a frame and the shell.
Anything wrong now is my fault!
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 04:56 PM   #49

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
I sit here on the couch of my now 25 year old Scamp in amazement. Honestly it has held up better than anything I've ever owned. ...
Norm, your Scamp is so good because it has age. It was built when pride in a job well done was priority one and no doubt maintained with the same care.

My Scamp (with four different leaks in the first six months) is an immature juvenile. It has the same good genealogy but it needs to ripen, to season, and to grow into the quality "home away from home" that has defined Scamp for so long.

If I were really critical I would mention the red adhesive on the surface of the rat fur or the lower cabinet that is rubbing against the aluminum trim on the raised dinette and leaving black dust after a few hundred miles. But those are the types of minor imperfections that, like those of our friends, that really mean nothing when compared to their overall character and value.

I hope this thread does not seem unreasonable critical but instead helps to establish reasonable expectations for new owners. If I were to do it again I am pretty sure I would buy a Scamp, but I would be a better educated buyer before I did.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 05:03 PM   #50

Name: Frederick / Janis
Trailer: Previously Scamp 13 2002,2016. Scamp 16 on order
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
I found that they put the trim on the exposed edges where you would otherwise cut your hand on the raw fiberglass cut, but not on the hinge side. So perhaps you are not missing as much as you think. In fact I took the microwave shelf door off because it was just in the way and then got some trim to cover the side where the door hinges used to be.

And luckily this is also an easy fix as long as you carefully cut the corners to fit tight. I'm sure Scamp would gladly send the trim pieces under warranty.
I mentioned the trim merely as an example of some suspect workmanship issues, that was all. I'm aware of where they put the trim and where they do not. There was missing pieces and also pieces that were badly mis-cut in length, falling short of the mitered corner by inches. Sloppy. Yes, they assuredly would have shipped as many feet of trim that I needed to make the repairs. No doubt. Since we sold the trailer upon arriving home, I didn't bother. The present owner may do so if she/he wishes.

I'll be checking all those small issues with the new 16 this fall before even backing into the staging area. However long it takes.
bpfick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 05:08 PM   #51

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Musing from a new Scamp owner

Value, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder. If one defines value as the lowest price, then to them the lowest priced item is the best value. Some people believe that value is a combination of price and quality (and maybe even reliability). For those people, the lowest price does not necessarily equate to value. Sometimes the lowest priced items requires repairs and/or modification to bring it up to the purchasers desires, essentially increasing the price. As a result, maybe it isn't such a bargain. It is pretty hard to argue with the old proverb, "you get what you pay for." I am one of those who considers more than just price in determining value. For that reason, I do not consider the Scamp I owned a particularly good value. Actually, based upon my criteria, it was a terrible value. But that is me; YMMV.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 04-14-2016, 05:10 PM   #52

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
I think that considering the problems you're having, your comments are extremely balanced and fair.

When I was shopping, I found a video on Youtube of a guy who had been living out of his Casita for a couple years, and after seeing all the raving about them, decided he'd make a video showing the "bad" side.

It just calmly, without anger, showed the QC issues, the issues that came up with just some towing and use. Basically a "here's the other side" commentary.

I could do the same for my Bigfoot. The reason I don't is because I bought it used (and, frankly, there are no leaks and everything works great ).

I think for buying a brand new camper, the issues you're describing are a perfect reality check for start-struck people in love with the look of Scamp. And the balanced way you're presenting those problems is a perfect way of showing how it's not all rainbows and unicorns but without any slandering or ranting or trying to steer people away from Scamp.

Your post could be seen as focusing on the negative, but I don't see it that way. I see it as an education/reality check to anyone about to decide on or pick up their new Scamp. Give it a good look over before driving away.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 05:12 PM   #53

Name: jerry
Trailer: casita
California
Wow, can't believe somebody would put their name on such a poorly constructed product. When I had my 2010 Casita 17SD delivered from Texas, the driver lamented that he had to slow down from 80 to 60 for California laws. I found only one issue with my trailer, and that was sawdust collected on the linoleum floor around the cabinets. So far that has been the only issue with the trailer. Well built and well engineered.
Jerry and Maria
jerry and maria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 05:45 PM   #54

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
I sit here on the couch of my now 25 year old Scamp in amazement. Honestly it has held up better than anything I've ever owned. We travel 7 months a year and basically it just works and works. Of course it has it little problems and I mean little.

It's easy to be critical, to see the negative.

I know a world walk around. I love my Scamp. It takes me every where I want to go at a relatively low cost, keeping me continually warm and dry. Today a level loosened after probably 25 years, I fixed it and smiled.

I completely agree with you. I don't mean to come off as critical of Scamp.
I was just unaware that there were such issues on a new unit since I have never seen one. I assumed it was perfect each time which was my mistake.

My scamp is quite old, and honestly you really wouldn't know it with mine either. It also keeps me warm and dry through any level of horrible weather.
I feel confident that I won't have water dripping on me no matter how bad it gets outside. I also feel the same about my vehicle. At least when it comes to function. (I do get wet inside of it when it rains ) I sold a MUCH newer, and showroom quality Jeep wrangler to get it. I feel more confident placing my life and trust in my current beater of a vehicle than I ever did with that Jeep. Driving through the middle of nowhere and camping out in the desert where there is no cell coverage can be nerve wracking. Its nice to know when I turn that key, it WILL start.

Others would have sent it to the junkyard by now. I'll never get rid of it.
Old 04-14-2016, 06:44 PM   #55

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
With my 2014 16` Scamp, I only wish they would have been more careful about the plumbing and wiring. I mean it is pex piping and it bends easy without a fitting so it was not necessary to run the piping across the center of the cabinets, they could have done better. Same with the wiring, to much of it bunched up and exposed to things bumping and getting things tangled in them. Other then that, I love my tiny home away from home. Carl
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 07:21 PM   #56

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I was sitting inside my 2008 Scamp the other day in a driving rain. I took the opportunity to check everywhere for leaks. Dry as a bone! I am the second owner, but it was obvious when I acquired it that the first owner had done nothing to it, maintenance-wise. I had to adjust the latch on one of the cabinets to keep it from popping open. I replaced the door seal with something a bit more robust (and yes, I still get slight water and dust infiltration along the lower front edge when towing, not when parked- a little carpet cleaner and it's good as new). And I just had my first electrical glitch- the porch light stopped working, not sure why yet.

For a budget-priced trailer approaching its eighth birthday, that ain't half bad!

I do wonder if Scamp is cutting corners now trying to keep up with current high demand. Mine was built in mid-winter at the bottom of the 2008-2009 recession when things were likely slower. Sounds like they need a good QC inspector.

I hope all new buyers with issues will pursue warranty remedies through Scamp. Enough of them will motivate improvements to the QC process.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 08:19 PM   #57

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
I don't find any of the posts here from new owners to be Scamp bashing, and I own one too. I too agree that it sounds like they're in a big hurry to pump out trailers due to high demand and sloppy work is what becomes of that. This thread is an absolute benefit for folks considering purchase. People wrote with honesty and facts and the truth stands as it does. My trailer is a 2012 and several years down the road and some learning under my belt allowed me to find QC issues to. Lets hope of they have spare time that they nose around forums a bit, and that these folks continue to communicate with scamp so workmanship will improve.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Fiberglass RV mobile app
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 09:21 PM   #58

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Nolen View Post

Sounds a lot like the poor quality of american autos before the Japanese autos arrived.

Bill
Yup!... same canard!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 09:33 PM   #59

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Norm, your Scamp is so good because it has age. It was built when pride in a job well done was priority one and no doubt maintained with the same care.

Not so, in fact the new factory brought with it better working conditions and a better product. I can certainly speak to this issue since I have spent more time with more Scamps and Scamp owners than anyone I have ever met. My Scamp is a 2004 (prefire), But I have owned newer ones and much older ones.
Most of the problems encountered would take less time to fix than it takes to write the complaint.
Old 04-14-2016, 09:38 PM   #60

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
But that is me; YMMV.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
True Dat!!

Tags
scamp