In towing a Scamp 13 do you need trailer mirrors - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2016, 07:41 PM   #1

Name: Leon
Trailer: Scamp 13' 2017
Missouri
In towing a Scamp 13 do you need trailer mirrors

Thinking about purchasing a Scamp 13 and wanting to know if towing mirrors should be purchased. I have not seen any posting talking about the use of trailer mirrors. What do you think? What do you use?
Leon H in MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 07:57 PM   #2

Name: Frederick / Janis
Trailer: Previously Scamp 13 2002,2016. Scamp 16 on order
Michigan
You are towing with what vehicle?
bpfick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 08:01 PM   #3

Missouri
Trailer Mirrors

I'm hoping to use a 2015 Subaru Forester
Old 07-06-2016, 08:27 PM   #4

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1999
I tow with a 2010 forester and use some extend mirrors which are helpful. On short trips I can by without them. It can be difficult to see if there is a vehicle behind without the mirrors.
Mark J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 08:52 PM   #5

Missouri
I will go to U-Haul

Thanks for all the comments and I will checkout the U-Haul trailer mirrors. Their web site show two types.One is $29.95 and the other is $13.99.
It states that they are designed to fit the majority of vehicles and reduce vibration.
Old 07-06-2016, 09:14 PM   #6

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon H in MO View Post
Thanks for all the comments and I will checkout the U-Haul trailer mirrors. Their web site show two types.One is $29.95 and the other is $13.99.
It states that they are designed to fit the majority of vehicles and reduce vibration.
You may want to look for a mirror that isn't the "fits many" type, too much movement for my liking. Etrailer has a pretty good selection of slide on mirrors that fit nicely over stock mirrors.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 09:19 PM   #7

Name: Jay
Trailer: Boler 1300
Ontario
Registry
I bought the Reese brand universal fits from Princess Auto. They do vibrate a bit so I put some screws into the plastic housing to hold things steady. I also discovered that I only need the driver's side towing mirror, I could see just fine on the passenger side. I think I paid 19.99 each.
Jay H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 06:35 AM   #8

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I bought Fitsystem #3891 mirrors from Amazon to use on our 2003 Honda CRV. They clip on and have two ratchet straps to hold them tight. Work really good, no vibration.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 06:42 AM   #9

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
I tow my Scamp 19 with 2013 Tacoma, using only the standard mirrors. It works for me well, I see straight behind on either side. Often I move slightly right within my lane and look in the left mirror when I want to see if someone is drafting right behind me. If I buy something, it would be a nice rear view camera, before any extension mirrors. It is always good to have some idea about what is happening behind you.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 07:06 AM   #10

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Registry
We tow with a Toyota Highlander, without the mirrors. However, our Scamp 13 doesn't have a rock guard over the front window, so we just leave the curtains open and can see straight through the Scamp to what is behind us.
emij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 07:51 AM   #11

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Obviously it depends on the width of the vehicle and trailer. Smaller vehicles like Foresters, CR-Vs, etc. require extensions. A Google site search on "mirror extensions" will turn up old threads with reports on how well different units perform.

A rear view camera is an option, but I doubt it meets legal requirements in lieu of side mirrors with a prescribed field of view. In addition to, fine; but in place of, I don't think so.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 09:24 AM   #12

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
I bought Fitsystem #3891 mirrors from Amazon to use on our 2003 Honda CRV. They clip on and have two ratchet straps to hold them tight. Work really good, no vibration.
Look for convex extension mirrors - at any auto supply or RV store.
Flat mirrors suffer from vibration. Convex (like your right side rearview) reduce the effect of vibration and give you a wider field of view.
I adjust mine so the extension mirror shows what is behind, and the car mirror watches the passing lane to my left. Same on the right side.
With the convex extension mirrors, you can also watch your trailer tires.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 09:32 AM   #13

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
It seems most stipulations require seeing 200' or of road behind you with side mirrors. Not sure how/where that starts. I'm sure new laws have been considered (didnt search for hard evidence) for rear-view cameras to which I have. The camera works MUCH better than my mirrors because it lets me see the vehicle on my bumper that's about to shoot around me in passing!!! This happened many times about the time I was going to shift lanes as well and was nearly rear-ended because of a tail-gating vehicle that I could not see starting around me. Now I simply check the camera and see if there's someone hiding behind my Scamp before shifting lanes, something extended mirrors can miss as well.

There's a catch to stating "extended mirrors are required" and that's IF you cant see the designated distance most states require (200') behind you with ANY side mirror. That's my $.02 on the interpretation of the mirror laws.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 02:16 PM   #14

Name: M
Trailer: Formerly Scamp
Oregon
Leon, you can have my flat mirrors - I quit using them, as I can see fine with my Subaru Outback mirrors. The flat mirrors move from vibration and I'm constantly adjusting them. I check the review mirror on curves for vehicles too close behind me. Think I'll look into the convex type.

Does anyone use the Camco Towing Mirror Universal Tow-N-See CONVEX that sticks directly on your auto mirror and adjusts with your power mirror? (available at Adventure RV.net for under $20)?
Ttocs M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 02:22 PM   #15

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I replaced Tow-'n'-See with Milenco Grand Aero.
They attach to the mirror housing with thumb screws so you can operate the vehicle mirrors independently ( unlike Tow-'n'-See, which blocks part of the mirror where it is attached ).
Attached Thumbnails
Grand Aero 1.jpg   Grand Aero 2.jpg  

Old 07-07-2016, 05:13 PM   #16

Name: M
Trailer: Formerly Scamp
Oregon
Glenn, Amazon has the mirror set you mention at 3.6 pounds and $125... Is that a lot of weight on your auto mirror? Looks like a good product
Ttocs M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 05:21 PM   #17

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Maybe that includes the case and packaging. They don't weigh much. Until you asked, it never crossed my mind.
I got the flat mirror, not convex, because I want to see what's coming up in the distance and I can adjust the vehicle mirrors to fill in blind spots.
Old 07-07-2016, 05:27 PM   #18

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
The Fit System 3891 mirrors that I mentioned previously are convex mirrors
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 05:49 PM   #19

Name: Lynn
Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022 (was 2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17)
Massachusetts
My Ford Expedition mirrors, which have inset convex lenses, are fine for the lanes left and right with my Casita 17, but I can't see who's right behind me. I doubt if extensions would help much.

I'm thinking of getting one of those signs the truckers have:

Quote:
If you can't see my mirrors, I can't see you!
/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"—Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Mr Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 05:50 PM   #20

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
In some areas mirror extensions or towing mirrors are law if the trailer is wider than the towing vehicle and tall enough to obscure the view. Check your local rules and remember if you go into another area you have to also meet those rules.

Remember to play safe and have fun

P.S. our boler is 7' 11.5" wide at the middle so would see nothing with out mirrors also at 8' 3" tall guess we need them for our trailer

Tags
scamp