Scamp rivets & acorn nuts - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2016, 12:09 PM   #1

Trailer: 1982 Scamp 13 ft
Scamp rivets & acorn nuts

Can anyone tell me what size rivets & acorn nuts to use in my 1982 Scamp? Scamp offers several sizes & I don't know what I need. I don't want to order them from Scamp because I can get them much cheaper locally (& won't have to pay $13 for shipping!) Thanks!
Sandra Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 12:27 PM   #2

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
You don't say what you are wanting to rivet together, so it makes it hard to say what size(s) you will need. Generally, most RV and trailer rivets are either 1/8" or 3/16" diameter. Lengths will vary from 1/4" to as much as 1 1/2" depending on what you want to attach or install. Most of the shorter ones (up to about 1/2" in length can be sourced at the big box stores, but for the longer ones or specialty riveting fasteners, like Riv-Nuts, you can order them from any of several on-line suppliers. If you have an RV repair place nearby you can probably get a handful of whatever sizes you need from them fairly cheap. As far as the acorn nuts go, they are just standard 1/4" x 20 acorn nuts. If you want to install them you will need to install the 3/16" diameter rivets in order for them to grab the base of the rivets. They are purely decorative, used to "dress up" the ugly squished bottoms of rivets that are installed where they would show, but they add no structural strength to the riveted joint. All for show.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 04:07 PM   #3

Thanks for your response, Greg! We are going to replace most of the rivets in our Scamp. They are holding the cabinets, closet, etc. We can't get the acorn nut to stay on the end of the 3/16" rivet but I don't think we have the right size. The package says #10-32. I'll find some 1/4" x 20 & try again.
Old 07-10-2016, 05:02 PM   #4

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
Just remember, the 1/4" X 20 acorns will only work with the 3/16" rivets. They won't hold on the ends of the 1/8" rivets which are too small of a diameter.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 05:31 PM   #5

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
If you phone scamp rather than order from the online store the shipping goes way down. They ship USPS and it costs about 1/2 or less of what FedEx does if ordered through the online store. Fasteners and smaller items it is especially pronounced price difference.

Not 100% complete but covers a lot of the sizes.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ist-52225.html

I would call your attention to post #5 where Carol starts a discussion on an easy way to cut a rivet to length. That one has saved my bacon a couple of times.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post311420

There was also an issue with the acorn nuts, my older model used a smaller nut, a size not commonly available, I was able to use a common size and drill about 1/2 the threads out and it then fit the rivets fine. Notes on that are second page of the thread.

Someplace there is a thread on doing windows that rivet in, process to get good seal. Cross tighten and only tighten a bit, then let the butyl tape "adjust" to the pressure and come back later to tighten some more, until the rivet pops.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 08:20 PM   #6

Great information, guys! Thanks!

Tags
scamp