Fantastic Fan in Scamp Escape Hatch - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2014, 08:20 AM   #1

Name: gary
Trailer: 16' 1998 Scamp
Minnesota
Registry
Fantastic Fan in Scamp Escape Hatch

Has anyone (as in "I know someone has") made a an adapter cowling that allow a Fantastic Fan to plunk into a Scamp's escape hatch? It's not like I'm ever going to be crawling out of that any time soon...
fusedlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 08:54 AM   #2

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
I am pondering a home-made, non-permanently attached snorkel vent with a couple of computer type fans (maybe 12V). In camp you would crank up the vent cover and set this rig over it. Maybe snake the wires inside the trailer around the screen. I don’t want anything permanent on the roof creating drag but it would be nice to create some airflow at times without worrying about rain. Yes it means having a ladder handy but I have room in the tug (pickup) for one and it would only be for those times I am boondocking without 120V hookup anyway. If I have 120v I will just run the A/C or A/C fan.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 09:26 AM   #3

Name: Seth & Desiree
Trailer: 1987 Scamp 13'
California
No, I just kept the original escape hatch and cut a new hole for a new electric fan. It's an awesome 10-speed forward/reverse fan. Powerful!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1403536946.405591.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	72827Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1403536972.631561.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	126.9 KB
ID:	72828Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1403536992.932506.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	159.7 KB
ID:	72829Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1403537010.874723.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	72830

Now I just have to hide the wiring. The fan we got required a minimum 2" thick roof so we had to construct a riser/frame. I had to get it mounted and in place because we were leaving on the Scamp's maiden voyage that same day, but I will be fiberglassing the wooden frame in a couple weeks.

-Seth

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Seth and Desiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 09:35 AM   #4

North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth and Desiree View Post
No, I just kept the original escape hatch and cut a new hole for a new electric fan. It's an awesome 10-speed forward/reverse fan. Powerful!

Attachment 72827
Nice! Let us know how the glassing of the new curb goes.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:35 AM   #5

Minnesota
Registry
Yeh, I know I can cut a new hole in the roof, but that already-there opening is enticing, considering that as an escape hatch, it's kind of dumb. As in "what sort of condition would actually make that the only way out?" I suppose if a Mighty Wind blew the trailer on its door I would need it.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:52 AM   #6

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
It is always a good idea to have a plan B. Especially when the plan is to escape a fire.

I recently suggested someone put their fan in the escape hatch, but in a way that allows the escape hatch to be used. Basically cut a hole in the hatch, but use a dis-connectable plug to power it.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 12:07 PM   #7

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
My Scamp has no "Escape Hatch",(but it does have windows and a door!)

The standard "Escape Hatch" cutout is 14"X22" the standard Fantastic fan fits a cutout of 14"X14".
You might consider removing the "Escape Hatch" (if you feel comfortable with compromising safety at that level)
Patch the roof to 14"X14", install the fantastic fan, then place a light on each side of the fan to fill the space usefully and cosmetically.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 12:57 PM   #8

Minnesota
Registry
If I need the escape hatch to escape a fire, things are very, very, weird.
Old 06-23-2014, 01:09 PM   #9

North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusedlight View Post
If I need the escape hatch to escape a fire, things are very, very, weird.
Agreed, but then it is not necessarily for fire. It is because the windows are too small to crawl out of and for some reason the regular door is blocked. I figure if I want out bad enough I could kick a window out. My 10, soon to be 11 year old daughter thinks the escape hatch is cool though.
Old 06-23-2014, 01:21 PM   #10

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
The escape hatch is rather handy to get up and clean the middle of the roof from.

I simple added the Fantastic fan behind the Escape hatch and used the wiring from a ceiling light that had been in that location.
Attached Thumbnails
Scamp fan outside small.jpg   Scamp Fan inside 2 small.jpg  

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 05:12 PM   #11

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Gary, you may be suprised. A friend I was stationed with in Texas had rented a single wide trailer. One night a twister came through, lifted it up and dropped it 50' away with the door side down. They did get out through a window, unhurt, but those were house size windows. Think I would stay with the hatch and cut a new opening.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 08:22 AM   #12

Name: Mike
Trailer: Scamp 13'
Florida
WOW I never would have thought that would happen! I will keep my escape hatch and buy a table top fan or run the a/c... If their is no 110 vt my Honda Eu2000i will take care of everything...
Mike-N-Laurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 10:39 PM   #13

Name: Linda
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 16 ft, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Minnesota
Escape hatch to fan

I would also love to replace my escape hatch with a fantastic fan. I have an A/C unit, so I really do not want to add another hole in the roof. Plan on a lot of boon docking, so will not always be able to use the A/C, but want it there when I can use it.
dvrcdlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 08:12 AM   #14

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike-N-Laurie View Post
WOW I never would have thought that would happen! I will keep my escape hatch and buy a table top fan or run the a/c... If their is no 110 vt my Honda Eu2000i will take care of everything...
I have zero information on installing a fantastic fan, but thought I'd add this link for a battery operated fan that we bought a couple of weeks ago. It's a table top fan, fairly small, but WOW did it cool us off during a 98 degree, 100% humidity, 75 as the overnight low- camping trip. The batteries lasted three nights. I purchased ours at Target, but see you can get them on Amazon, too. Just throwing it out there as an option for when there is no power.... It also runs off of electric, so that's nice, too.

Amazon.com - O2COOL NEW 10" Battery Operated Fan with Adapter - Electric Household Tabletop Fans
emij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 04:32 PM   #15

Name: Linda
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 16 ft, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Minnesota
Fan-Tastic has a 12 volt portable fan, 14 x 14. I am considering trying to come up with a bracket set up to be able to use it on my escape hatch or countertop. At 4 pounds, seems like the hatch should be able to support it.
dvrcdlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 07:28 AM   #16

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusedlight View Post
Yeh, I know I can cut a new hole in the roof, but that already-there opening is enticing, considering that as an escape hatch, it's kind of dumb. As in "what sort of condition would actually make that the only way out?" I suppose if a Mighty Wind blew the trailer on its door I would need it.

Or, more likely, a tree limb fell against the door. Seen that happen. Without someone outside to cut/move the limb, a usable escape hatch is welcome. Could always break windows, but then you have repairs to contend with. A usable second exit seems like a desirable feature.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 07:10 PM   #17

Name: Danny
Trailer: Scamp
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleB View Post
Or, more likely, a tree limb fell against the door. Seen that happen. A usable second exit seems like a desirable feature.
OK, I am certainly NOT a Statistician.....but I bet money that if you have "seen that happen" you are safe from EVER having to experience that again in your Lifetime.
Laughingindian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 07:31 PM   #18

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
A point of having both a Fantastic Fan and a vent on the roof is you don't need to open the curtains/blinds and a window to get good ventilation. Many people like to sleep in the dark-dark. To be effective for ventilation using an electric fan, you need to have a window open and it's even better if not blocked by curtains or blinds. Open the roof vent, turn the fan on exhaust and you'll get lots of fresh air.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 07:55 PM   #19

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleB View Post
Or, more likely, a tree limb fell against the door. Seen that happen. Without someone outside to cut/move the limb, a usable escape hatch is welcome. Could always break windows, but then you have repairs to contend with. A usable second exit seems like a desirable feature.
On many Scamps there is also the rear window- both window and screen slide out of the way. It would take a reasonably agile person to get out that way, but so would the escape hatch. I can be pretty agile, given the proper motivation…

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughingindian View Post
OK, I am certainly NOT a Statistician.....but I bet money that if you have "seen that happen" you are safe from EVER having to experience that again in your Lifetime.
You're exactly as safe as you were before you saw it happen the first time.

Which is safe enough for me!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 06:50 AM   #20

Name: Bill&Laura
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Fiver
Kentucky
Registry
I'll be replacing the standard rear window in our '91 Scamp with the slider and filling the escape hatch hole with the vent fan to assist in ventilation.

Tags
scamp