Jalousie Crank Completely Stripped! (Ventura) - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2016, 12:54 PM   #1

Name: T and K
Trailer: Ventura
British Columbia
Jalousie Crank Completely Stripped! (Ventura)

Any ideas on repairing/replacing all or part of the crank?

Opened it up and it's totally stripped
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20160821_1133190.jpg   IMG_20160821_1133336.jpg  

IMG_20160821_1133573.jpg   IMG_20160821_1134026.jpg  

OnTheRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 02:35 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I replaced one last summer. My local Rv dealer had some on hand. Bring the old one, there are different models of these. It was below $10.
Carl V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 02:38 PM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I got one at my local ACE Hardware store, or you could try Vintage Trailer Supply.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 06:43 PM   #4

Trailer: One 13 ft Scamp and One 13 ft Trillium and Two Trillium 4500
Vintage Trailer Supply had everything I needed to rebuild my windows in my Trillium.. I had 3 stripped cranks and 5 broken arms that raise the windows and they had just what I needed........
Randy Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 09:30 PM   #5

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
We just spent a couple days with the owner of Vintage Trailer Supply, at a vintage camper show in Montpelier Vermont. Actually met him at a vintage rally a couple years ago. Real nice guy, and really into vintage campers. We were runner up for the Best of Show award.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 09:59 AM   #6

Trailer: 13 ft Ventura
We've done a lot of extended travelling with our Ventura and I had to replace all the cranks at some point -- a couple of them twice now.

One caveat however, I don't see how to remove and replace the gearboxes without bending back the flange on the interior side of the window frame. I make a small cut just above the unit so that I only have to fold back a three-inch section.

There must be a better way, but I don't see it.
Darrell O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 10:40 AM   #7

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell O View Post
We've done a lot of extended travelling with our Ventura and I had to replace all the cranks at some point -- a couple of them twice now.

One caveat however, I don't see how to remove and replace the gearboxes without bending back the flange on the interior side of the window frame. I make a small cut just above the unit so that I only have to fold back a three-inch section.

Luckily we have all the windows out while we do our renos so I am going to take the opportunity of having the parts easily accessible to replace them all (I think only 1 is not having problems but might as well swap it while I can)
Old 08-22-2016, 10:41 AM   #8

British Columbia
Glad these things sound like they aren't too hard to find - I was worried this was going to be next to impossible! Thanks everyone!
Old 08-22-2016, 10:55 AM   #9

Trailer: One 13 ft Scamp and One 13 ft Trillium and Two Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell O View Post

On the Trillium.... the frames are screwed together with very small screws at the corners and can be taken apart to do the swap out.. Don't know if yours is the same or not, at first I couldn't get the gearbox out of mine took a little while before I found the screws they are very small....
Randy Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 11:08 AM   #10

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Bishop View Post
On the Trillium.... the frames are screwed together with very small screws at the corners and can be taken apart to do the swap out.. Don't know if yours is the same or not, at first I couldn't get the gearbox out of mine took a little while before I found the screws they are very small....
Yes, those screws are small and tight!
When I replaced mine, I already had the window out. I don't think it could be replaced without taking the window off the trailer first. Not a big deal if the window has been resealed recently with butyl tape and SS screws, it could be done in minutes literally. A real PITA if silicone was used and all the screws are rusted...
Carl V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 09:57 PM   #11

Trailer: 2008 Bigfoot 25FB trailer
a mobile home parts store may be a good source also, those windows were common prior to the 80's
Martin A is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ventura