Looking to buy 1993 Bigfoot. - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2017, 09:56 AM   #21

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hammel View Post
Jack did you go over mount or under mount?
I mounted the axle above the springs. My feeling is that under the springs would be much too high for anyone unless they wanted to do some serious, hard core off road camping. Also I would be concerned with wind resistance and less stability on the road.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 10:09 AM   #22

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
I mounted the axle above the springs. My feeling is that under the springs would be much too high for anyone unless they wanted to do some serious, hard core off road camping. Also I would be concerned with wind resistance and less stability on the road.
Thank you! As I said all info is good info! By the way where in Washington are you located?
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 10:36 AM   #23

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Yeah you don't want a straight axle and sprung over. I mean you can do what you want, but that would not only be overkill, it would make the trailer less stable, really hard to get into, and cause way more wind drag. It's already going to sit pretty high up above your truck.

I went with a straight axle and springs below the axle. What I've found is that if I need more height than that to get down a road...I don't want to be going down that road.

The cost for a new axle and installation was pretty reasonable. I just did it last spring. Just make sure to use a trailer shop, not an RV shop.

Mine was also cheaper because even though I didn't want to, I kept the old springs. For whatever reason, the guy at the shop didn't want to weld my frame. It's a pretty thin frame and I think he just didn't want to mess with it. So I've got a new axle but the original springs.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 11:14 AM   #24

Trailer: Bigfoot Silver Cloud -1988
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Karen,
Your question will probably have more looks and responses if you start a new thread. Good luck!
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 03:02 PM   #25

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
Yeah you don't want a straight axle and sprung over. I mean you can do what you want, but that would not only be overkill, it would make the trailer less stable, really hard to get into, and cause way more wind drag. It's already going to sit pretty high up above your truck.

I went with a straight axle and springs below the axle. What I've found is that if I need more height than that to get down a road...I don't want to be going down that road.

The cost for a new axle and installation was pretty reasonable. I just did it last spring. Just make sure to use a trailer shop, not an RV shop.

Mine was also cheaper because even though I didn't want to, I kept the old springs. For whatever reason, the guy at the shop didn't want to weld my frame. It's a pretty thin frame and I think he just didn't want to mess with it. So I've got a new axle but the original springs.

Not to be nosey but when you say cheap what am I looking at for the package installed? I have the option of mounting the old axle under the springs and give me the lift I need to use my new 15" tires and wheels. Or I could buy a straight axle with hubs, and bearings and try to do it myself for $148 (includes new U Bolts etc). Or do like you did and just have it done.
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot