just put a deposit on a bigfoot, mistake? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2015, 04:46 PM   #21

Name: gucho
Trailer: bigfoot
British Columbia
pics were found!
Attached Thumbnails
bigfoot.jpg   bigfoot.jpg3.jpg  

bigfoot.jpg7.jpg   bigfoot.jpg4.jpg  

gucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 07:46 PM   #22

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
How about pictures of the roof?
Looks like the original 4" drop ale has been replaced with a straight axle.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 09:30 PM   #23

British Columbia
just got it home. Also during all the paperwork signing and the such found out its a 1983, still like the unit and feels awesome! we are super excited. I will take pictures of the roof for your suggestions.

Thanks guys!
Old 08-01-2015, 09:35 PM   #24

British Columbia
roof pics,
Attached Thumbnails
AGUSTIN-TABLET - WIN_20150801_203147.JPG   AGUSTIN-TABLET - WIN_20150801_203223 (2).JPG  

Old 08-01-2015, 10:58 PM   #25

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
Hmm, that's more sag than ours has, but I'm not sure what it means. How does it feel up there when you press on it? Does it move up and down or does it feel solid? Bigfoots are constructed a bit differently than other FG trailers in that they have a sort of laminated construction - fiberglass, then a kind of Styrofoam insulation, then the inner walls - a sandwich if you will. You can see what it looks like in Franswa's picture of his skylight in an above post. I think that in some of the older units delamination can happen because the glues they used back then to hold it all together weren't as good as what's available now. The sandwich construction is very strong as long as all the layers stay glued together. Maybe that section of your roof has started to delaminate. The solution would be to pull off the inner ceiling and the foam and get everything glued back together. Not fun, but doable. Other than the roof, it looks to be in good shape for a trailer of that vintage.
Evergreengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 11:42 PM   #26

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
roof and rockguard....

the roof has more of a sag than most....but there's no opening in that section so it just might be that the section of roof was maybe a little thin and in the curing process developed a concave shape.....as long as it keeps the rain out who cares (you said the ceiling on the inside looked fine)...........leads to my next point

from what anecdotal information I've been able to gather there was a definite change in direction/build practices when BFs went from being "17s" to "1500 series 17s"...that happened some time in the mid 1980s looks like....and coincided with the appearance of rockguards with gas shocks INSIDE the rockguard (as opposed to a flattish rockguard with springshocks mounted on the outside of the rockguard....visible when closed up)

the all fiberglass two piece bathroom also seems to have made its first appearance at the same time but not sure.....

one thing is for sure in 1983 you could buy a 17 with or without a hot water heater (with a shower or not)... some seem to have come out of the factory with toilets and some with porta pottys ...it was all over the map options wise I think....they never seem to have the full awning gear either...just that track at the top curbside....

after that "break point" in the mid 80s...things seem to have gone in a different direction....all trailers built with the same options...except maybe AC....all of them had the full awning and hardware (from AE)

might be just me but I suspect that the FG schedule for the molds was upsized as well.....because I've seen some straight "17s" listing dry weight as below 2000 lbs....later models (1500 series 17s) tend to list 2200 to 2400 dry weight

but who cares about all that....looks like you got a real good deal....whatever money you decide to put into this thing you will get it back...at the price you paid

when I was shopping a BF owner told me: you can buy these things for "X"...spend one or two grand to get it to just what you want to be and in 4-5 years sell it for "X" again......I tend to agree with him and I would think you would do better than most in that department given your initial outlay

congratulations....you just bought yourself a great hobby...lotsa fun

where in BC are you located anyways????
Attached Thumbnails
klapan.jpg   twinlilly.jpg  

wossa.jpg   gray2.jpg  

Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 12:13 AM   #27

British Columbia
i will stringline and measure the biggest dip for reference. the pictures look worse i think!
im in victoria!
Old 08-02-2015, 12:58 AM   #28

Washington
I do not think you will have any further sagging of the roof. An 83 0r 85 build date is also not something to worry over Enjoy tour new trailer. It looks like a good one.
Old 08-02-2015, 07:51 AM   #29

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
totally agree Jack....

my comments were not meant be taken as a negative at all....I've looked at a LOT of BFs over the last couple of years....I'm just relating what I have observed and possible explanations as to why/how all that came to be....

as happens with FG boats....I'm thinking in this case the FG cured too fast and lifted/shrunk from the bottom of the mold during the process.....doesn't affect anything other than appearance...in a boat that would have been a deal killler....with a trailer...who cares...nobody sees the roof other than people on a bus driving by.... and by the way that trailers exterior looks great/better than most for a 83

just happens that I'm in Victoria too....been camped out at Fort Victoria RV Park for five weeks (got somebody in RJH)
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 02:13 PM   #30

Name: Rick
Trailer: TBA
Wisconsin
Gucho, first off congrats on your new baby. It looks like it is in great shape and as Franswa has so wisely stated I wouldn't worry too much about the roof if there are no leaks.
I have been following BF sales online for almost 2 years and have NEVER seen one in such nice shape for $5000 CAD. In fact I have seen a couple "project" trailers in much worse condition for that much or more. As other have said rest assured you got a great deal!
Can I ask where you first saw it for sale? Was it on Kijiji? or was it just one of those wonderful coincidences where you saw a for sale sign in a driveway? Just curious.
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 03:42 PM   #31

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
Double layer shell with foam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreengirl View Post
Bigfoots are constructed a bit differently than other FG trailers in that they have a sort of laminated construction - fiberglass, then a kind of Styrofoam insulation, then the inner walls - a sandwich if you will.
I had read this before, and was excited to have this extra layer, then someone else told me this was just a single shell (1988 Lil Bigfoot). Can anyone confirm? Make my day?

LP
Old 08-02-2015, 05:34 PM   #32

Washington
Lil Bigfoot trailers are in fact single shell. All other Bigfoot models are laminated foam insulation. Don't let that stop you from enjoying your trailer. You have a wonderful trailer.
Old 08-02-2015, 06:08 PM   #33

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
single shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
Lil Bigfoot trailers are in fact single shell. All other Bigfoot models are laminated foam insulation. Don't let that stop you from enjoying your trailer. You have a wonderful trailer.

Jack, thanks for clarifying. I was just in all of the bunks looking for a converter (there isn't one), but I saw daylight shining through the shell in a few little bare areas. Considered that a big clue.

You're right, I'll totally enjoy it!

LP
Old 08-02-2015, 06:09 PM   #34

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Agreed. I just wish you weren't so far away (or is that me?) so I could come take a look.

Walt
WaltP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 12:08 PM   #35

British Columbia
franswa,
I know where you are located and all things being considered I hope that RJH is a short visit!
If you were around for a bit maybe you could give me your 2 cents on my trailer?

I am feeling more and more confident about my purchase and do not regret it in the least. Now its time to find the time to go enjoy it!

Tags
bigfoot