Bigfoot 17 gaucho upper bunk weight load? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2015, 10:19 PM   #1

Name: Jacqueline
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
Bigfoot 17 gaucho upper bunk weight load?

Hi there
I recently purchased a 92 Bigfoot 17 foot trailer. We were told that the cabinet space above the sofa area was an option at the time of purchase. We can see how a mattress could easily fit up there but have some concerns about the maximum weight load up there? It looks like it's held together by just hinges and suspended by 2 straps on either side of the bunk. Any ideas?
Jacqueline in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 09:38 AM   #2

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
I believe it has a weight limit of about a hundred pounds. The bunk bed above the gaucho is designed to be used by a child.
Evergreengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 01:25 PM   #3

British Columbia
Registry
Thanks Evergreengirl for your help. It's tough to put a kid up there without knowing the max load LOL! I have heard ballparks of around 50lbs but that would make that top bunk obsolete pretty quick.

I was hoping someone had a copy of the original manual or something, but I guess it would be pretty hard to come by, given the age of the trailer. Can't seem to find anything definitive on the internet.
Old 10-05-2015, 02:02 PM   #4

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
I have the original Bigfoot manual for my 94 model. It says absolutely nothing about upper bunk capacity. In fact it says almost nothing about everything. The best use of it would be to start a fire. I keep it mostly for nostalga purposes.

Just my opinion, but I would not put over 50 pounds of anything in it.

If you want any more information that's available from the owners manual just PM me.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 08:52 PM   #5

British Columbia
Registry

Thanks Jack.
Old 10-05-2015, 11:18 PM   #6

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
I did have a look in our original owner's manual and like Jack says, I couldn't find any mention of a weight limit either. Seems like I've seen the 100 lb figure bandied about here on the forums though.
Evergreengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 06:40 AM   #7

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Biggest problem with the bunk design is clearance to the ceiling. With no padding, it's 18" near the door and 15" at the rear. Add 3" pad and the kid's nose would almost touch the ceiling. We were never able to get any of our 6 grandkids to try it when they were younger.
Old 10-06-2015, 07:54 AM   #8

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
That's one reason I love the flip-up design in my Scamp (and many other fiberglass egg models). Kids can sit up on the top bunk. It's the bottom guy that suffers, and that's me! But I can turn over without my shoulders bumping the upper bunk and with a little room to spare, so I'm good.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 08:46 PM   #9

British Columbia
Registry
Tom I had no idea it had such little clearance. I guess I forgot to factor in the height of the foam mattress. How was it ever a feasible option then I wonder?

Jon in AZ, I know what you mean about the Scamp bunk. We had a little 13' Boler too, and it was such a great setup. Our kids loved it! Things got a little tight though, with all our stuff, and the dog. We were sad to see it go. But we are now very proud owners of our 17' Bigfoot!
Old 10-07-2015, 10:13 AM   #10

Trailer: 1973 Boler 1300 (gone) 1985 Bigfoot
Jacqueline - see this thread for changes a couple of us made to replace our bunks.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...oot-68283.html
KeithA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 09:38 PM   #11

British Columbia
Registry
Great thread and pictures. Thanks a lot Keith.

Tags
bigfoot, weight