Price Comparison: Scamp, Casita, Escape - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2015, 10:47 PM   #61
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanj04011 View Post
Is it possible that some people choose Escape, maybe not so much by preference, but due to the fact that Casita or Scamp don't make a large enough trailer to fit their needs?
We moved from a Casita 17LD to an Escape 21 because none of the 5 of the fiberglass manufacturers in the US would accommodate a slight design modification for the bed area so that wifey could have an inclined bed for medical reasons. Tammy and Reace (co-owners of Escape Trailers) were very willing to work with us, and referred me to their mattress supplier to have a custom mattress built, credited me their cost for not using their mattress, sent drawings and worked with their supplier to get my custom mattress built and delivered to their factory without my further involvement at no added cost.

THAT defines customer care in my opinion. Plus the trailer is far better built than my Casita was, and I'm a very picky retired mechanical engineer.

It's not always about cost. In my case, it's quality and commitment to the customer.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 11:57 PM   #62

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Charlie, EXLNT post. Sure would like to see more companies of any kind have that kind of response to their customers needs and wishes. I'll put a big plus next to their name for future reference.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 07:30 AM   #63

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Good points Charlie. One that caught my attention the most: "Plus the trailer is far better built than my Casita was....."

Can you elaborate on that for us? I'm VERY interested and respect your opinion....or better still....your EXPERIENCE! (You've owned both the Casita and Escape now) Thanks for your post.

Regardless of how "Old" the molds are, Tammy and Reece have a nice-shaped FG trailer with more modern striping, LED lights, etc.... just from outward observance....thus less of the "retro" look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post

THAT defines customer care in my opinion. Plus the trailer is far better built than my Casita was, and I'm a very picky retired mechanical engineer.

It's not always about cost. In my case, it's quality and commitment to the customer.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 08:10 AM   #64

Trailer: LittleGuy Classic Teardrop ('Baby Osmo') (Previously 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe)
I am always interested in the details, too. I am very much a quality-oriented person, and I sometimes go a long way for the little things that matter in my head. But, a statistical quality advantage is not always noticeable in the real world.

So, let's not lose perspective -- Casita, Scamp, Boler, and on and on -- we have hundreds of them represented on this site that are DECADES old. I could go out today and buy a 30-year-old FGRV, and use it for the rest of my life. Quality is relative, and there is a law of diminishing returns.

Would I consider rivets to be a quality issue? Yes. Would I prefer to have no rivets? Yes. Do rivets make Scamp a junky camper? Clearly not - Scamp is an excellent camper, as evidenced by their average longevity and loyal following. From that perspective, all of these brands are on the same or better quality scale as AirStream, Spartan, or any of the world-class RVs throughout history.

We have the luxury of picking what matters to us. Hate rivets? You have choices. Don't care about rivets, but hate square corners? You have choices. Hate customizing things? Or, hate having decisions made for you? You have choices. Aren't we blessed?!
Mr. W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 09:16 AM   #65

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
Good points Charlie. One that caught my attention the most: "Plus the trailer is far better built than my Casita was....."

Can you elaborate on that for us? I'm VERY interested and respect your opinion....or better still....your EXPERIENCE! (You've owned both the Casita and Escape now) Thanks for your post.

Regardless of how "Old" the molds are, Tammy and Reece have a nice-shaped FG trailer with more modern striping, LED lights, etc.... just from outward observance....thus less of the "retro" look.
It wasn't "old" to which I responded it was "modern"...

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 09:21 AM   #66
Commercial Member

Oregon
Quote:

I think the Escapes are more thoroughly designed and details well executed. The customer also gets weekly (or more) pictures of their trailer being built, which I found invaluable for knowing where all the wiring, drains, etc were located. There are plenty of wooden anchor blocks fiberglassed in place for attaching the cabinets, framing, and real plywood is used as the base floor instead of OSB. All wiring is off the floor and secured to framing. Drain holes are provided in a "French Drain" perimeter drain design - should water somehow find it's way in, it won't puddle up - there are exits.

Customization - I sent the stereo and speakers I wanted, and I wanted the stereo mounted at 45 degrees under the cabinet across from the the doorway. Photo sent to show how they mounted it. I wanted an antenna jack moved from a stock location to under the cabinet so I could hide the cable better. Done! I wanted my cellphone trucker antenna mounted over a cabinet so I could easily replace it should it ever break. Done! Sent them a rear view wireless camera to install - Done!
Attached Thumbnails
Wk1 shell.jpg   wk2 074.JPG  

wiring4.JPG   underbath wiring space.JPG  

Old 08-04-2015, 09:35 AM   #67

Thanks Charlie...good explanation and nice pictures. I REALLY like the "during construction" photos! As you say, they will be invaluable if you ever want to make changes or add things and to be able to see where/how the wiring is run, etc.

I'd like to see more on this "French Drain" information - if it was available of course. I've never heard of that before. Someone on this forum just posted a "BigFoot" trailer with rot in the middle of the floor and they're not sure why yet. Sounds like maybe this may have been a benefit for this trailer in this case.
Old 08-04-2015, 01:47 PM   #68
Commercial Member

Oregon
When I was inspecting my Escape at the factory prior to pickup, I was looking underneath at the wiring for the tank probe/sensors and noticed the entire perimeter (about 4 inches all the way around) was slightly dished downward - had to be by design. When I asked about that, the tech pointed out the drain holes around the perimeter and said that area was the lowest point of the shell, and allowed any water that intruded to run down the "gutter" and exit through a drain hole.

Attached pic taken just behind the passenger side mud flap after the rear axle; I wiped the road dirt away so you could tell where the drain hole is located. The "gutter" perimeter is basically round, like half a pipe, while the flat floor to the left of the trailer frame is bolted down with the shell.

I called it a "French Drain" because that is the term used in house construction. My 1902 house has one in the basement floor; the exit point is connected to a pipe that runs about 30 ft down a hill and drains into a field.
Attached Thumbnails
Drain_Hole.jpg  

Old 08-11-2015, 12:58 PM   #69

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Tennessee
Current conversion rate

We went ahead and sent a check for $15,000 US to Escape late last week. Today they deposited it with a conversion rate of $1.2980, so translates to $19,470 Canadian...wow. We may have to send them some more at this rate.
GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 01:33 PM   #70

WOW...yall making me want to order an Escape and I dont even need it!

I bet yall still pull them up online and look at'm and read about'm all the time doncha? I know we did when we had our Scamp on order.... rode around campgrounds and still looked.... hey...we STILL do that.

In fact, we rode down to Ardmore, TN this past Friday evening and visited the new Bankston's dealership there then went over and ate at a buffet. Fun time. Come to think of it... this "rv'ing" business can be addictive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregandTeresa View Post
We went ahead and sent a check for $15,000 US to Escape late last week. Today they deposited it with a conversion rate of $1.2980, so translates to $19,470 Canadian...wow. We may have to send them some more at this rate.
Old 08-11-2015, 01:40 PM   #71

Tennessee
Yep Darral, I'm still on here everyday. I even still look in the classifieds, just because And Saturday I drove through the campground down at Henry Horton SP just looking at campers.

I was very excited when I saw the conversion rate that they got, because I was expecting around 1.24 on it, so that is awesome. Saved me a few extra hundred dollars. We are going to reach out to you soon and come see your scamp, and start learning more about these fiberglass rigs. Teresa has been canning the past few weeks, so we've not had any free time, but things are starting to slow down.
Old 08-11-2015, 01:42 PM   #72

Tennessee
I've also decided that if we win the lottery between now and next August, we are going to cancel the order for the 17B and order a 19. So you can have our place in line of we do
Old 08-11-2015, 02:07 PM   #73

Haha..that would be TEMPTING my friend! But I can see my wife when I tell her the Scamp's going on the market and we have a new Escape being built Wife = . But I know her and she would want to keep BOTH. She's partial to the little Scamp, the fun we've had in it and the friends we've made because of it. GREAT conversation piece! Wow.

Just let me know when you guys are ready to come over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregandTeresa View Post
I've also decided that if we win the lottery between now and next August, we are going to cancel the order for the 17B and order a 19. So you can have our place in line of we do
Old 08-15-2015, 10:08 PM   #74

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp
Hello everyone, nice to be back. When I joined the forum back in 2004, I learned the advantages of molded fiberglass over the stickies I had in past years.

Mind you, there was no Escape then, I liked both Casita and Scamp. Unfortunately both have similar construction designs : rat fur, OSB floors and those rivets that drip condensation.

Over the years I grew to have a strong dislike for absorption RV fridges and asked Casita to delete theirs and that I would install my own electric. No can do I was told. I knew that by eliminating the roof vent I could park the trailer in my garage, so I asked to save time and money by not cutting the square hole in the roof and to keep the vent. To my amazement, "no can do" incredulously I asked why. I was told the floor workers are used to cutting the square hole and can not stop doing so.

Off to Scamp where they gave me my few simple requests that saved them money and labor. What's more they made me a happy camper. I have been storing my 2005 Scamp 13 in my garage ever since.

Retiring soon and will take tons of long trips, after many wonderful memories with our Scamp 13, we will be ordering an Escape 21ft next month when we visit the factory.

We love our Scamp, rivets and all but we will be traveling like never before unlike travelling while holding a job with a couple of weeks here and there. If we take the full time plunge later, we are certain it will be in the 21ft.

Oh yes, Escape will allow me to install an electric refrigerator.

Santiago and Kim in Anaheim
Santiago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 10:43 PM   #75

How ANYBODY can say they "love" the Scamp rivets makes NO sense to me at all!!
Old 08-15-2015, 10:52 PM   #76

Name: Marky
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Quote:

It's like a picture and a painting. The picture is an almost perfect copy while a painting has its defects, yet the painting is worth more. Sometimes they are even priceless!

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
MarkyVasquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 10:57 PM   #77

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
How anyone can constantly second guess a system which has proven itself for nearly 45 years makes no sense at all.
It would seem though that adhesive technology would have obviated both the old reliable rivets and REWFS (rotting encapsulated wood fastening systems) by now.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 10:57 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyVasquez View Post
It's like a picture and a painting. The picture is an almost perfect copy while a painting has its defects, yet the painting is worth more. Sometimes they are even priceless!
Exactly ! Scamp has character, it's still an icon with Boler DNA.
Old 08-15-2015, 11:16 PM   #79

Escape and others HAVE "OBVIATED" most of the goofy rivets by now. Why do you think you see SO many people on this forum jumping to and choosing Escape as their trailer of choice? Didnt the OP say that "Escape" wasnt a choice back then?? I wish they'd been around or I'd known about them before I bought my Scamp.

Scamp HAS made some much-needed changes over the past couple of years but they need to make MORE changes.

You wish to be buried in your Scamp....you've said as much. I dont.

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
How anyone can constantly second guess a system which has proven itself for nearly 45 years makes no sense at all.
It would seem though that adhesive technology would have obviated both the old reliable rivets and REWFS (rotting encapsulated wood fastening systems) by now.
Old 08-15-2015, 11:56 PM   #80

Quote:
You wish to be buried in your Scamp....you've said as much. I dont.
Darral, I think you are not being fair to Floyd saying such nonsense. Floyd strikes me as a serious man and I respect his opinions and his fondness of the Scamp design as he makes a good argument regarding the hardiness of rivet construction.

Tags
casita, escape, scamp