Looking for a good cover for 13' Burro - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2016, 06:25 PM   #1

Name: Dan
Trailer: 84 13' burro
Washington
Smile Looking for a good cover for 13' Burro

Does anyone have a good recommendation for a cover for my 13' Burro? I have looked online but I have not seen anything that will work. I would appreciate any suggestions!
musical43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 07:05 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
As far as I know, the only manufacturer of high-quality covers is Calmark. They make covers for 13' Scamps and they have a custom service, so I'm pretty sure they can make one to fit your Burro. Prepare for sticker shock!

I have seen a number of cheap covers on eBay advertised as variously fitting a number of 13' fiberglass trailers. A few people have reported getting decent service from them for the price, but the majority opinion is that they shred after a season or two, and poorly finished seams chafe the gelcoat. Here's one: 13' Boler Cover.

I recently heard someone report that their cover had provided a route for mice to get on top of the trailer and into the AC unit, causing significant damage! One more reason why I will stick with regular waxing and no cover.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 08:53 PM   #3

Name: Jacob
Trailer: Scamp
Iowa
Registry
We got our cover off of ebay, but we did not go with a cheap one, we have used it 3 winters without issue and will use it for at least another one. We've never had a problem with rodents, but we also don't have rooftop A/C.

A recommendation we follow is to use fill cotton balls with peppermint oil and place them by the door, in the fridge vent and at any other potential point of ingress.

Whether or not it makes a difference is debatable but we put it away clean in the fall and it's clean in the spring.

Ours looks like this:
Deluxe Scamp 16 Travel Trailer camper Cover w Zipper Door Access | eBay
jjorgensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 07:57 AM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
In my opinion, there is no such thing as a "good cover". They are very aggravating. If you could afford a "structure" with sides, that would be the easiest, best, and most durable by FAR. I had a metal carport erected- apx 4X the price of a "good" cover but after 5 yrs, it's still going strong!

I had a "Cover Giant" 'Silvertech' cover. I made a statement to my wife during the next year that either we were getting a carport or selling my Scamp.

If you're only going to cover/uncover once a year EACH, you may be ok. But I would settle for nothing less than a "Calmark"! (with a door!)

Just make sure you wash your RV before apply the cover or you will potentially get some nasty scratches. I told you, they ARE aggravating. Some swear up and down by them...but not me....unless it would be PERMANENT storage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by musical43 View Post
Does anyone have a good recommendation for a cover for my 13' Burro? I have looked online but I have not seen anything that will work. I would appreciate any suggestions!
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 08:23 AM   #5

Name: Jacob
Trailer: Scamp
Iowa
Registry
I would have to agree, we only cover our Scamp in the winter time, and it does take at least an hour to put the cover on and another hour to take it off in the spring. I would much rather have a permanent structure, however building code here makes that prohibitive.
jjorgensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 09:46 AM   #6

Name: Dan
Trailer: 84 13' burro
Washington
Cover for 13' burro

Thanks for the suggestions! I might check Costco and see if there is a tarp canopy that would work. It would be a lot easier easier getting access to the trailer with the canopy then with the cover.
musical43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 11:40 AM   #7

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Registry
We had an off brand that lasted until I accidentally ripped it while it was stored in our garage during a camping trip. Bought a Calmark with door for this year. We cover and uncover our Scamp 13 for every trip and it takes 5 minutes to cover/uncover if two of us are doing it and less than ten if my husband does it himself with a broom for help. I wax in the spring before the first trip and again before we store it for winter. I like knowing it's tucked in snug from the elements. We use a peppermint oil sachet for repelling mice inside the camper and didn't have any issues over the last winter (we've only had it one winter, two camping seasons.)
emij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 04:54 PM   #8

Name: felix
Trailer: 82 burro 13 "PookaBurro"
Oregon
I found a horse trailer cover online (etrailer.com) that fits the length perfectly, even has a zipper where the door is located...but it's a little too tall, so i have to roll up the bottom edge to keep it off the ground, not too much of a hassle.

I have a covered space now, so don't use the cover, as it's heavy and you need a ladder to get it on.
felix2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 05:30 PM   #9

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
We found and use a car cover that fits a Caravan at a Goodwill store for $5...It covers the Boler13 footer to below the belly band and we w tie rope under the belly band to hold it on. Used it this way for 3 years now...Keeps UV rays off and still breaths and lets me get off the Maine snow without scratching it.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 08:57 PM   #10

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
CORRECTION: We bought a ShieldAll cover (silver urethane coating) (not a Deluxe cover) for our Boler 1700 from elitemotoronline (same seller that jjorgensen mentioned). We have used it one winter, and so far we are pleased. It hasn't ripped or leaked. We took care to encase all sharp edges on the camper before putting on the cover.

We were really only looking for a cover to last a couple of years until we get the camper completely LEAK FREE.

I must say that the fit is quite good. Here is the Burro 13 ShieldAll cover by the same supplier:

ShieldAllâ„¢ Burro 13 Travel Trailer Camper Storage Cover W/ Zipper Door Access | eBay
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burro